Menu

What unusual subjects do you require or make compulsory for your kids.

Was just curious, going over our plans and thinking about subjects. Obviously lots of people do electives with child led interest, or parent led interest that a child is happy doing, but what subjects do you require, or consider compulsory for your children whether they want them or not, that are outside of the standard scope and sequence? 

In our family, piano/music theory is required up to a certain standard, even if they don't enjoy piano. Other instruments are up to their own choice and desire. 

Also, drawing/sketching for me is required until end of middle school. I think the ability to draw is not an art but a lost skill, some will naturally be better than others, but anyone can learn the basics of drawing. 

Psychology is required here, dealing with it at different levels throughout their schooling, firstly because I have a severe and long term mental illness that unavoidably effects my children's lives and would make it a necessary topic even if they went to public school, but secondly because the insight and understand I have gained about psychology over the years has made such a difference to analyzing and understanding people, ideas, situations. Understanding what will and wont work and why because of human behaviour, or figuring out why people are inclined to certain behaviours, or why groups act as they do, there's so many interesting things about it. I think any adult would benefit from a basic knowledge. 

Oh, and I forgot logic, because on a forum like this many people are doing logic, but that is another that I'd require, including a formal logic course in high school. 

There's lots of other things I'd like my kids to do, but these are the subjects I would require them to do, outside of the standard scope. I'm curious what unusual things other families find important, and why

• Like 1

Nature study is a weekly, year-round, required subject. Not only weekly hikes and regular nature sketching, but also learning trees, flowers, birds, ect. It's an interest of mine, and my hunbands, and we find it generally enlightening.

Poetry is a must. We read it daily and memorize it regularly.

Latin and Logic will be required, but like you said, that's typical round these parts.

I've considered requiring programming, as my husband is a programmer...but I'll probably leave that to interest on the end.

• Like 2

I haven't considered it a "subject" precisely, but nature identification is a must here.  Trees, shrubs, plants, rocks, birds...I've decided to add memorizing bird songs to this year.   :closedeyes:   

Oh,  conflict resolution.

Piano, yes.

Art, also yes.

I'm considering requiring a passing familiarity with dance, but haven't quite decided yet (I'm meeting FIRM opposition at the moment...)

• Like 1

I haven't considered it a "subject" precisely, but nature identification is a must here.  Trees, shrubs, plants, rocks, birds...I've decided to add memorizing bird songs to this year.   :closedeyes:   

Piano, yes.

Art, also yes.

I'm considering requiring a passing familiarity with dance, but haven't quite decided yet (I'm meeting FIRM opposition at the moment...)

In australia, dance is part of physical education (gym?). I remember doing an entire 8 week unit devoted to it in 9th grade. 

I was rather opposed as well, lol. 

Subjects isn't the right word really, there are certain topics and skills I expect us to cover either due to an interest of dh or mine or to the fact that we consider them necessary for adulthood.

Cooking- I except they will have mastered at least the basics of cooking from scratch (although dd1 is also interested in baking I don't push that as much)

Philosophy

Apologetics- what we believe and why

World Religions- no excuse for ignorance or hatred for anyone about what they believe

Nature Studies- my husband knows the basics (self-taught for the most part), I know a small amount myself- I hope to learn and impart much more to all of them, it is good useful information and besides that I want them to have an appreciation and love for the great outdoors

Basic car mechanics- so all of them male or female can take care of little things that come up without being totally helpless

basic house repairs- they may decide it not worth their time or have enough money they can hire it done but I want them to have the knowledge to do it yourself, I believe it is a worthwhile thing to take care of such things yourself, not to mention a money saver for most

Personal Finance- they will be well acquainted with making a budget, the pitfalls of debt, compound interest, planning and making goals, prioritizing etc

Health and Nutrition- not just the basics here. I want them to understand why we eat what we do, what food does for our body and what our body needs. Why the source of food matters and not all food is equal. Also, the whole gamut of what it takes to live heathily, the importance of sleep, rest, activity, not just exercise but finding ways to be active in our day. Keeping stock of your own mental health and taking care of yourself, signs to watch for and when to ask for help.

I'm surprised at what people seem to be finding unusual. I thought art was standard. DD is only in first grade, so hard to know what we'll really require throughout.

We do intend to require at least one foreign language every year of schooling K-12, though she has some choice in which language.

World Religions is also non-negotiable. I don't know how one would understand history without a decent understanding of religion.

• Like 2

We require programming and Spanish.

In 8th grade, they'll read through the Bible, even though we're secular and don't attend church.

I tend to assign more science fiction and fantasy books for literature, since we're both nerds, and it helps the kids understand some of our conversational references.

I also require study skills as a subject for the middle grades - my theory is that with enough exposure to various methods, they'll find something that works for them.

Life Skills is my catch-all for practical things that won't fall under a particular academic subject, stuff like home maintenance, cooking, finances, interpersonal relationships, etc. I know many people would just teach it naturally, but it helps me to be more intentional about it.

Ruth

Latin. Swimming (for safety reasons- got this taken care of this summer for my 2 oldest. Next summer I will invite them to take lessons again, but DH and I are satisfied with their ability at this point so they won't be required to if they don't want to). Some sort of art - the type is up to them but they need to be doing something creative with their hands. Music- but I haven't figured out yet what this is going to look like for us.

Piano, yes.

Art, also yes.

People who teach children in my socioeconomic bracket would consider it weird/inappropriate for us to spend as much time as we do on reading literature aloud and would want me to drop or scale way back on art, music, poetry, Latin, History and appreciation of science.

I don't delude myself about these subjects leading to upward mobility, but I do believe that they are valuable in and of themselves and that he will do just fine at trade school or the vo-tech track of our local public high school when the time comes.

I already have one child who grew up asking for Stephen Hawking and Homer for bedtime stories and loved Mozart more than the '90s-'00s equivalents of Jason Beiber and Miley Cyrus and he is excelling as an enlisted man in the National Guard and at his civilian job at the sales department of Sears.

• Like 5

So much of what I would list would be things we would teach regardless of if DS was in school or not. And many of the additional subjects we plan to teach are recommendations in WTM, and things that many homeschoolers teach anyways (so not unusual in the HS world).

But I guess I could add that we plan to teach what will likely amount to a year's worth of Islamic history, and another year for Pakistani history. The plan is to cover each in a similar depth to what we expect to cover for US and state history. And I suppose I could add that we plan to teach a deeper study of Islamic Belief and Law than is typically covered in Islamic schools. 

Apparently we also need a manners class, because DS was telling someone that "we don't do that class" when he was asked if he knows manners.

We definitely teach manners. We just don't have a textbook for it (might have to get one though... lol...) 

• Like 3

I don't consider it unusual, but certain things are non-negotiable, like personal finance, basic mechanics, cooking, cleaning, laundry.  I consider those life skills though. 

Not unusual either, but swimming is a must here too.  The kids have to take lessons until they know, with confidence, how to swim.  After that, it's open to discussion. 

I would like them to all take some sort of basic dance lessons - waltz, two step, etc.  I don't know if I'll force it if they are strongly opposed...but I do plan to offer up some strong arguments for it! ;) 

• Like 1

Kiara, how do you teach conflict resolution? Definitely could use some help in that department.

We're using "The Young Peacemaker" by Corlette Sande.  I came across it from reading "The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict" by Ken Sande (Corlette's husband.)  Obviously it's a Christian resource, if that works for your family.  Even if it doesn't, you might be able to figure out some of the principles from their website to incorporate into your family life.  peacemaker.net  Also, if "The Young Peacemaker" seems too young for your kids (suggested for grades 3-7, I think), you could just use the adult book--or I think there's a teen edition now...  Aha!  http://www.amazon.com/The-Peacemaker-Handling-Conflict-Fighting/dp/0801045355

I would just like to say that my oldest two are 8 and 6--it hasn't exactly *stuck* yet.   :lol:   But we're working on it.

Art History - every year, all year.

We also want to make sure our kids can drive more than a car safely. Boats, skimobiles, track setters, atvs, tractors: all are expected to be mastered before 16.

Current events & cultural history other than that of the U.S. (if you don't have facts you sound really ignorant when discussing politics or world events)

Old school Shop class - all our kids will know how to construct and repair everything under the sun. They will also have a decent background in small engine repair, welding and shipbuilding.

• Like 2

Every year I include civics with basic government +/- basic economics. This includes learning the Pledge of Allegiance and memorizing basic facts and excerpts from documents and speeches.

American history half of every school year.

Test taking skills (using workbooks)

Note-taking from a textbook and studying for tests (around middle school age)

• Like 1

Fun.

We study this subject completely and every day.

According to Pippi Longstocking, that subject is called Jollification.

I had a kid who was very, very good at jollification, since climbing in and out of windows features heavily on the syllabus.  :laugh:

• Like 12

Nothing that I would consider unusual.  

Outside of the state requirements for 11 subject areas (reading, writing, spelling, language, math, science, social studies, history, health, occupational education, and art and music appreciation), I do require one musical instrument but they are both up to two starting this month and love it, so it doesn't seem like a mom mandate either.  I also require one sport-like endeavor.  They can choose.  That's t-ball in the spring and soccer in the fall for my little guy and has usually been something like yoga, running or biking for my bigger guy.  This year, besides family yoga, he will be taking a parkour class and running track.  

On his own initiative, my son has started some maybe less common subjects such as Mandarin (though that's probably quite popular these days), programming and an extensive study of Etymology.  He's also studying for the Mythology Exam.  

Some of the things mentioned here are life skills, like cooking and finance which would be required even if they were at school. 

And some you have all mentioned that didn't even occur to me were off the syllabus. Statistics will be compulsory here, Speech and debate is something I consider a necessary aspect of logic/critical thinking even if it isn't in the book. 

• Like 1

Some of the things mentioned here are life skills, like cooking and finance which would be required even if they were at school. 

And some you have all mentioned that didn't even occur to me were off the syllabus. Statistics will be compulsory here, Speech and debate is something I consider a necessary aspect of logic/critical thinking even if it isn't in the book. 

The title of the post said, "What unusual subjects do you require or make compulsory for your kids."

I listed cooking because I have told my dc that no matter what other high school credits they earn, they will not graduate if they cannot cook.

I require not only that they take cooking, but that they pass cooking.  While most schools offer cooking classes, most schools do not require it for graduation.  I do.

• Like 2

Nature identification is required here, too. This year, we are focusing especially on birds, as well as bird songs. We have been enjoying Peterson's Birding by Ear (Eastern/Central), by Walton & Lawson. We've also enjoyed Common Birds and Their Songs, by Lang Elliott.

My children are required to learn how to cook. Along with that, they have to participate in all the aspects of getting food on and off the table -- meal planning, grocery shopping, comparing prices, hauling it all in and putting it all away, preparing the food, setting the table, serving a meal, and all the clean up. I want them to become self-sufficient people, KWIM? So, no just "showing up" for meals at this house, LOL!

They must learn how to do some basic sewing -- how to hand sew a straight seam, how to hem, how to tuck/adjust clothing, how to sew on a button, how to mend, how to put on a patch, and (later) how to do some basic things on a sewing machine (e.g., a simple skirt, a pair of pants, etc.). We don't actually sew all that much -- that is, we are not crafters -- but I just think there are some basic skills that a person should know.

I wish I had more practical skills, but I never learned how to crochet or knit. FWIW, in some countries, these are required subjects, as is basic woodworking. I remember how in college, my Scandinavian friends were shocked that I had never learned to knit! Anyway, my girls are learning these skills (because they want to) through the handicraft DVDS from Simply Charlotte Mason. They are focusing now on crocheting (which I can't teach) and hand sewing (which I can teach), and really enjoy Rebekkah's clear style and explanations.

My children are required to learn how to read music, play an instrument at a basic level, and sing in a choir. This year, we are also doing Composer Study (Bach, Handel, Haydn) and Artist Study (da Vinci, Michelangelo, Monet). We are enjoying these so much that I think this will become a new "requirement!" :) Very much worth making time for, IMO.

They have to keep learning French. At some point, I may let them drop Latin, but not French. We're probably not going to achieve fluency with the resources we have available, but we can plod. So, continuous French here. It's a whole other way of thinking and being.

I don't know that this is so unusual, but we will study at least one Shakespeare play per year, probably more than one as they get older. They are loving A Midsummer Night's Dream -- fairies and queens! What's not to love?

They are required to learn how to swim, practice basic water safety, and (later) ocean safety and boating safety. We live in a recreational area with lots of lakes and boats, and we also live within an hour of the coast, so this is essential training. We had at least six people die just this summer in kayak and canoe turnovers, and others drowned while tubing or at the beach. It happens every year, for as long as I can remember.

They have already completed a homemade course in First Aid. At some point (as teens?), they will be required to pass an official Basic First Aid course, as well as become certified in CPR. I'd also like them to learn about home safety and safe childcare, but they won't graduate from my school without passing First Aid and CPR.

We plan to work through Seven Habits of Happy Kids, some materials from Character Counts (Six Pillars of Character), and some materials on ethics (e.g., The Golden Rule, Love Your Neighbor As Yourself, etc.). So for at least the next few years, they will be required to study Habits, Ethics & Leadership (as a formal, school-based subject). Hey, it's official, it's in my signature! LOL.

This year, they are required to read 30 simple books on Civics -- covering topics such as voting, elections, duties of citizens, Congress, the Presidency, the Supreme Court, the Capitol, the White House, monuments, the military, symbols of America, and so on.

Finally, my children are required to learn how to work. What that looks like can vary from day to day, but "work" as I'm defining it here essentially means getting up off one's bottom end and exerting oneself to complete a task requiring such physical and mental effort. Not all "work" can be accomplished from a seated position. Some work must actually be done while standing, imagine that! Or walking, chopping, sawing, bending, lifting, climbing, pulling, pushing, and so on. I don't know how things are overseas, but in America -- it's amazing, how many people just do not want to do physical work! It's as if the prevalence of screens has convinced us that, as long as we are looking at one, we're "working." Um, no.

As for whether or not they are "subjects" or "life skills," I think that, since this is my homeschool, another person's argument is a moot point. I don't really care which category they fall in, just so long as my children end up becoming proficient! And so, they are not optional here, but compulsory.

Taking Notes for Myself:

Later... self-defense, comparative religion, personal finances/stewardship, health & nutrition, human sexuality, home & auto mechanics, self-sufficiency, camping & woodcraft, truthfulness

• Like 7

I guess ranching would be a requirement here. Have to be able to swath, rake, bale, and be able to back a trailer. Have to be able to pull and calf or lamb, and deal with a cranky cow. Oh, and fence and irrigate!

I still want you to adopt me, Margaret. And teach me how to deal with cranky cows.

• Like 2

Hmmm... I'm pretty traditional, I think, in our schooling.  Things that are not core subjects that we require are public speaking, current events, world religions, geography, music and/or art, and driver's ed to include basic maintenance of the vehicle.  I think compared to todays public schools Grammar is considered unusual, as well. lol 

• Like 1

Sex-ed!

I'm an L&D RN and childbirth educator. Thankfully, my children know more about childbirth than most adults. They can talk about penises, placentas, and vernix without skipping a beat. We discuss human sexuality throughout the lifespan conversationally all year long. Every spring(when the birds and bees are doing their thing), we check out several library books with content appropriate for their respective ages and read them together. Our 12 yr old prefers to read his books independently now, so we discuss the topics after he finishes the books.

My other requirements are cooking and keeping a clean house.

I think this hits the major topics for basic survival--eat, stay clean, and enjoy the gift of our bodies. :)

• Like 5

I guess the term "unusual" depends on the family, location and circumstances. We require (or have required):

- Music lessons, music theory, and choir 

- Altar serving at church or helping with the music ministry

- Martial arts

- Swimming lessons to a certain level; boating technique and safety

- Learning to skate, ski and be active outside in winter

- Participate in a regular physical activity and/or sport, and be physically active daily

- Foreign language education/exposure from birth until graduation (the languages have varied over the years)

- Outdoor education and camping

- Pet care

- Volunteering experience in the community 

- Assisting in home renovation projects 

If by 'unusual' you mean we don't know anyone else who is doing these:

- Longbow archery (we shoot most weekdays)

- Geometry and design, mainly as it relates to woodwork but also architecture, natural forms etc.

- watching Anime. No really - for Japanese pronounciation, discussion of the philosophy behind various series, how it relates to Japanese culture/cultural history, how it fits in the canon/archetypes/universal storylines

Maybe it is a US thing, but a lot of what is listed in this thread is not what I would consider unusual or I think most people I know would.

• Like 1

Intros to philosophy, sociology, and psychology. I encourage reading of "philosophy and" books. Intro to world religions.

ASL and intro to various languages. Some I have chosen and some the older kids have chosen to do on their own.

My kids also love anime for the foreign language exposure and learning pronounciation. 

Handwriting instruction beyond first grade is unusual in 2015.

Fine motor co-ordination is slightly delayed in our family. It's hereditary. ds is doing very well NOW, but he would never be able to write longhand at all, not even printing, if I stopped teaching him at the beginning of second grade.

My grandbabies will need an OT or afterschooling with gramma if they are not homeschooled.

I am not a fan nor have I ever been a fan of Goals 2000 or No Child Left Behind or whatever it is they call it this year, but since I've never used public school curriculum fads as any sort of "gold standard" I completely forgot to mention it in my previous post and didn't even notice how silly and flaky that must make me look with my cursive thread bouncing around the first page of "new content" along with this thread. ;)

• Like 1

Sex-ed!

I'm an L&D RN and childbirth educator. Thankfully, my children know more about childbirth than most adults. They can talk about penises, placentas, and vernix without skipping a beat. We discuss human sexuality throughout the lifespan conversationally all year long. Every spring(when the birds and bees are doing their thing), we check out several library books with content appropriate for their respective ages and read them together. Our 12 yr old prefers to read his books independently now, so we discuss the topics after he finishes the books.

My other requirements are cooking and keeping a clean house.

I think this hits the major topics for basic survival--eat, stay clean, and enjoy the gift of our bodies. :)

This too! My older son knew all about the birds and the bees and puberty, but I was shocked and horrified by his ignorance about childbirth when he became a big brother at the age of 16.

I'm determined not to make the same mistake again with my newest youngest!

ETA: also, although computer literacy isn't unusual at all, we use free software* for ethical reasons, which is every bit as unusual in the homeschooling community as homeschooling is in the free software community.

*https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software

http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/2516/free-as-in-free-speech-not-as-in-free-beer

• Like 1

I had to laugh about the sex-ed bit. I've had two homebirths. My children weren't present, but they were in the house during one and the oldest ones usually knew when I was pregnant as soon as I had two mornings of vomiting (not something I could hide). The olders have all watched birthing videos and c-section videos.

• Like 1

I had to laugh about the sex-ed bit. I've had two homebirths. My children weren't present, but they were in the house during one and the oldest ones usually knew when I was pregnant as soon as I had two mornings of vomiting (not something I could hide). The olders have all watched birthing videos and c-section videos.

My homebirthed extended breastfed teenager just assumed that I was going to bottle feed after a medicated hospital birth and didn't think I should TTC because "Doctors cost money and formula costs money and pain medicine costs money!" and when I laughed and said I'd never used pain meds when I had babies, he looked horrified and indignant and said, "Well, you SHOULD! If you try to have a baby at your age (very early 40s) you're probably going to DIE!!!!!!!!"

I'd have divorced him so fast it it would have made his head spin if he had been my husband and I had been 15-25, lol. I probably would have spent my life savings on any attorney who promised me to give him the least amount of visitation possible, too.

We had a very nice conversation about his new iPod touch while I was in transition and he had no clue anything was going on with my body. When he came back from visiting a friend, ds2 was sleeping comfortably and I didn't want to disturb him so I asked ds1 to get me a bowl of soup.

ds1 said he was going out again and didn't have time so I'd have to get it myself. I asked him if he could bring me a couple of oranges instead.

ds1 said, "Mom, do you feel okay? You're not sick or anything, are you?"

I said, "No, I just don't want to get up right now. Could you please get me a couple of oranges before you go?"

He grumbled a bit, came into the bedroom, put the oranges about an inch from the baby's head and didn't even notice anything unusual so I didn't say anything. I guess I was mildly pissed about the "sick" comment, because I was definitely NOT sick and I felt BETTER than okay, so I didn't mention the baby either and he went back out to his friend's house.

My daughter kept asking me when I was going to call him and tell him he was a big brother, but I didn't want to. Finally I let her do it.

Within five minutes, I heard the screech of tires from a speeding teenaged friend-driven vehicle and ds1's feet pounding up the steps as fast as he could run.

"Thanks for the oranges." I said, "I really wanted soup but it's no big deal that you were too busy to get it for me."

Sex ed 101.

He's still not ready to be someone's husband, but he's a lot closer than he was.

/threadjack

/tmi

• Like 3