Menu

God's Design for Life- The World of Plants, reviews?

Trivium Academy

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/product_categories/40/products/2701-the-world-of-plants

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=101243&netp_id=461207&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers#curr

I'd love to hear your reviews on this, I've looked at Apologia, Great Science Adventures, Kym Wright's Botany Unit Study and a few other things.

How creationist is it? I see it is published by Answers in Genesis but I really like the samples. Are there any anti-evolutionist ideas or opinions presented?

I have living books I want to read while we study, will I be able to add books easily to this?

Thank you!

We used it last year, first semester. Overall, I was pleased with it. It is written from a definite creationist viewpoint, but I don't remember there being a derogatory-toward-evolution theme. It doesn't have the "chatty" feel of Apologia but certainly not dry either. I liked having the quizzes & the mini-biographies. Also the small projects/experiments were enough for me (it was our first year w/ TOG).

It is the kind of curriculum that is easily expanded on (living books, nature walks, more observation) when you can, but when you can't you still get the information and move on. Science didn't get "put on the shelf" because I wasn't prepared...unlike past years!

I give it :thumbup1: And if I hadn't already given it away, I'd send it to you!

We have not used it yet, but I read the whole thing. I love it!! I definitely want to teach creation, but do not want to get too specific (I don't believe young earth, from what I understand Apologia really pushes this idea). It is perfect. It says things like "God designed plants so..." when you learn different things (this was an experiment about plants growing toward light, can seeds grow upside down, etc.). I think it is a wonderful book, with activities and review for every lesson. It comes in WP Shoot and Sprout Buzz and Bite with DK e-guide Plants. They work really well together. It should be easy to add in books to correspond with the topics. I have other reviews on this. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55695

I've looked at both Apologia and GDL and the 'chatty' part of Apologia annoys me (I think) because I feel like it is talking for me. I'm still undecided but GDL is a contender. You're so sweet Lee for the offer. I wish I could hold Shanleya's Quest, Apologia, and God's Design for Life in my hands and really look at them.

:) Jessica

I have the book in my hand right now. I picked it up for the end of the year, but brought it out to answer your question. I skimmed through briefly, and there doesn't appear to be anything objectionable or overtly controversial. I am using the animal book in this series currently and the topics of evolution and dinosaurs were handled in separate sections (separate from the main lesson). These could be easily omitted if that is not what you want to teach your child. I've found the style and pace to be very well suited to our approach to schooling. There are just enough experiments to keep us interested, but not overwhelmed. I hope this helps.

I actually bought and sold it. I did a couple of lessons and for us, it just didn't feel like quite enough. It would probaby be better for your kids age than it was for mine. I don't know, it just left me unsatisfied. I don't love the chattiness of Apologia, but my kids seem to really like the way it reads.

Hi~

This is on Amazon and I just read the excerpt that they let you see. If you look at it theback cover of the book says it begins with a "myth that parallels evolutionary concepts of how the world began, in which life forms as bubbles in a puddle of soup" and continues on to say "The evolutionary tree of life becomes a literal part of the story...". If you are a creationist this may not be the book for you. If you are ok with it then it is cheaper on Amazon and is eligible for free shipping.

We are doing God's Design for Science the Human body with other things added, and to be honest I really like Apologia science better, it is more indepth. We have done Zoology 1 and Astronomy and we really enjoyed those.

Sheri

Just a thought: I like the lack of depth because I am using it as a spine. I prefer to go in depth with interest, and supplements, not have too much information in one text. My favorite feature of God's Design (besides not pushing young earth, though they do in philosophy for the teacher, the student text does not) is the activity and review along with additional in depth questions for each lesson.

It sounds like I am trying to push it: If you don't like God's Design, then I don't like you. LOL

Jessica,

I've used both Apologia and God's Design over the years. I would encourage you to take a close look at the scope and sequence of each of these books. I think the books from both of these series are excellent, but very different in style. I didn't think either series was "light" on science. I realize we don't agree the masses, but my children and I preferred the style of the GD series over Apologia. That said, if my younger schoolers show a preference towards Apologia, I will use those books instead. Really, I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice.

I pray you choose what will work best with *your* family.

Can you stand another question?

I see in the TOC that there is a Tree Identification activity- would we need anything else for this? Learning identification is important to me.

I felt it was important, too. Yes, it calls for a Tree field guide such as Peterson's First Guide to Trees, Reader's Digest Field Guide of North America or Trees of North America by C. Frank Brockman. It is lesson 20 and includes a leaf notebook as a unit project, so could take some time.

Okay, I'm sold! Thank you SO much, everyone's replies were very helpful in making this decision. We'll be studying Botany again in 7th and Apologia might be the answer for that time, just not this one. I can use God's Design to cover cells which is what I wanted to do this year anyways and I feel I can add in the living books as I'd like without it being too much. Another major plus is the scientist biographies!

A weight gone from my shoulders,

I just posted about it. We're going to study the human body, on a deeper level than we did in first grade, study germs then the discoveries in medicine before moving on to botany.

Human Body (including DNA, cells)-->Germs (bacteria, viruses)-->Medicines (Doctor/Scientist discoveries, including plant remedies) -->Botany (including comparing plant & animal cells, scientists, nature study)

Botany will start in Feb or Mar. depending how the rest of the studies go.

:)