Menu

What age is too young to have the s3x talk?

Gentlemommy

My 7.5 year old asked today. I told her, very clinically what happens and then quickly moved on. She's asked several times and I had told her she was too young, but I figured it was better coming from me than her getting mixed info from a friend or some crazy notion she thought up...did I just scar her???

My 4 and 6 year olds know the basics of sex.  I try to discuss sex, anatomy, puberty, fetal development, etc matter of factly as normal parts of life.  I make a point not to "quickly move on", but rather to answer all questions, even those that spring up unexpectedly, with straight forward, age-appropriate explanations.

Wendy

• Like 4

You may wish to go back to your daughter and say that you're glad she came to you with that question and ask her if there's anything else she wants to know. Tell her you'll answer any question she has and tell her you'll do your best to answer.

Be grateful your daughter is coming to you . If she's not getting answers from you she WILL get them somewhere else, particularly sonce she's asking questions. If you won't provide them, others will. And hiding this information makes it frightening and dirty and she will learn its not something you'll talk about with her. It's not too late to do a good job with this. Be a brave, honest, gentle mommy🌷

• Like 10

I just answer. Be aware though that other people don't. Ds8 telling his seven year old girl cousin that getting pregnant involves a man putting hia penis in the womans vagina wasn't that well recieved. I told him it went on the same list as Santa and the tooth fairy - other kids parents needed to tell them when they were ready.

• Like 7

I'm in the When They're Wondering camp as well. I don't see why it would be scarring to answer a basic science question when asked.

DS asked at dinner when he was five. I read him excerpts of It's So Amazing after dinner, and now that book lives on the nonfiction shelf in his room. (We already had the book because he'd asked an anatomy question, loudly and in public, at three, and I could see more questions coming.)

• Like 1

Whew. I feel better. Dh thinks she is entirely too young, so I was second guessing myself.

I have always told her that she is welcome to come to us and it's what I want her to do if she ever has any questions or wants to know something. That is why I told her tonight, she DID come to me, and I felt like I had to make good on my offer. I asked if she had anything else she wanted to know, and she asked a lot about whether it hurt, menstral cycles, and finally childbirth and that process. She wants to watch a childbirth video, which I'm fine with. I did tell her this is something kids talk to only their parents about, and not to discuss with friends, which she understood. We touched a little on this being an adult activity and that it isn't something that children do...we've had the good touch/bad touch talk before, but it was a good time for a refresher. She is my very mature, pensive kid and I think she handled it fine...

• Like 1

I always answer any question asked. You might like this book geared to 4-8 year olds: It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends (The Family Library) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0763633313/There's a series of them getting more in-depth as they get older. American Girl has an excellent two volume set called The Care and Keeping of You. They revamped it to be two separate books, one geared younger and one geared older.

• Like 4

I think below 3 years old may be too young, because understanding these explanations (without demonstrations!) requires some degree of abstract thinking.

Other than that, I think 'the younger, the better' -- and I don't wait for self-motivated curiosity. I just explain interesting topics all the time, and human sex and reproduction is one of those topics. Easy-peasy.

• Like 2

My 7.5 year old asked today. I told her, very clinically what happens and then quickly moved on. She's asked several times and I had told her she was too young, but I figured it was better coming from me than her getting mixed info from a friend or some crazy notion she thought up...did I just scar her???

No. My son and I had the talk at almost 8 years old (so he was 7 too). At least to the point of answering the questions he was asking. If a child is old enough to ask, they are old enough to have their questions answered. And like you said, I'd rather he hear from me than a classmate.

• Like 1

My older son got the basics at age 5 when I was pregnant with his brother. He wasn't really interested in the sex part, more the how does this baby grow part. He was fascinated by the book A Child is Born.

He is now 12 and unscarred, I promise. Well informed but not scarred.

My niece and nephew were told very little and the misinformation that they believed was definitely worse than the truth. They are 9 and 13. My older son knows enough to know what is hogwash.

• Like 2

Definitely not too early. I remember I found out, at school from other kids, at right around the same age of 7.5. Wish mum had bothered to tell me when I asked over and over at age 6, would have been less scary than what the kids at school said!

Around here it's an ongoing conversation, when they ask I answer. I'm fortunate, certain life experiences mean I have no hesitation or embarrassment talking about sex with my children as others I've met seem to. My kiddos know a fair bit about female puberty and pregnancy body changes at this point, but sex hasn't actually come up yet. I'm expecting my eldest to start asking questions when I get pregnant again though. 

I don't bring it up, but I answer their questions happily, and to them they see no difference between asking 'why do bees make honey' and 'why do you have boobies'. lol. I answer them with the same tone of voice and attitude so I am hoping I can continue this embarrassment-free dialogue. I desperately don't want to be like my mum was on this topic, certain things she said and did ended up being very harmful in my life for years later. 

• Like 1

If a child is old enough to ask, they are old enough to have their questions answered. .

That's a good way to put it!

My kids were around mating farm animals as toddlers. They've basically known all along, at an increasing level of understanding. Now that I am pregnant they know the whole entire deal, scientifically, with very little "sexual" added to it. For example, they still assume people only "mate" with their spouses or intended-spouses, and I've not disabused them of that.

My 7 year old asked me just today if women stop producing an egg every month when they are 60. "How about 59 year olds?"... "How about 58 year olds?" ...57?... :lol: 

If I were you I would go back and answer the questions she asked. I remember vividly being told I was "too young" and it really shut down the conversation between my mother and I and made me feel like I couldn't really discuss it with her. I never felt comfortable talking to her about sex. (Not just because of that one incident, but it definitely was a factor.) It can be hard to know what to say in the moment. I'm not naturally comfortable talking to my kids about sex but as time goes on, it's gotten easier.

• Like 1

I think by the time kids ask questions, they have already been ignorant long enough to know they are ignorant, to have contemplated their ignorance, to have had their own ideas, to have formed a plan for getting information from me, and to have found an opportunity (and the gumption) to ask the questions. That's a stressful process. That's why I take the initiative.

• Like 4

My kids were satisfied with the "God takes DNA from the mommy called the egg and DNA from the daddy called the sperm and makes a baby" answer for quite a while. It's correct from our worldview because we believe there can be no procreation without God's involvement ("co-creation"). I had a discussion about the mechanics of exactly how the sperm reaches the egg with my oldest when she turned 8 (did it the same time as the puberty talk). I'm thinking DH should have a similar talk with DS later on this fall when he turns 10.

• Like 1

At four, my oldest asked how exactly the sperm got from the man's testicles to the egg in the woman's uterus. There would be no cutesy diversion of an answer for him. However, we did put him off a few more years because we were not sure of his ability to not tell other children. I think he was six when he got the full details.

• Like 1