Menu

Flooding the Nile project, SOTW

The flooding of the Nile project sounds fun, but I really do not want to go to the store and buy grass seed. Don't want to leave the house, and need to save money.

Do you think chia seeds or lentils or something would work, or should we just skip it and move on?

I know it's kind of a dumb question, and most people would just buy the grass seed.

Go for it with the chia seeds.  Or beg a neighbor for some grass seed.  A co-worker perhaps?  If you lived in my neighborhood I'd give you some.

Because 10 (11?  12?) years on my kids still have fond memories of the Nile project.  So fun, so worth doing. 

PS: You could also move on without doing it but do it later when you can get some seed.  They'll still remember it.

• Like 2

I agree with marbel. If you live in a neighborhood where people have grass yards, chances are you can easily get a handful of grass seed for free. People usually buy it in large sacks. Of course if you live in a very urban neighborhood where there is no grass, that won't help you.

We used mustard and cress (land cress) seeds and whatever other random seeds I had in my gardening cupboard. A small pack was enough and they grow really quick. Tbh, any small, quick-germinating seed will do, although if you're a stickler for realism I guess grass probably looks a bit more like reeds. Here in the UK, dried lentils for kitchen use are usually heat treated so won't germinate. Some store cupboard seeds might be a bit patchy on the germination, but any seeds designed for sprouting would work.  

I used chia and alfalfa seeds, and they are sprouting now. :) Thanks for the help, the kids liked putting it together. We've got a plastic hippo and crocodile waiting by the banks of the Nile.

Many of our neighbors use a lawn service, and the ones who don't pay for that don't care as much, and didn't have seed. Like us.

(I've always been able to sprout lentils from the grocery store, so I guess they are not heat treated here.)

• Like 1

This sounds really fun and we're studying Egypt but don't have SOTW. Is there a web link or something about it?

On the main page of this forum there is a link to Peace Hill Press, which sponsors this board  They sell the activity guide that goes with the Story of the World books as well as the SOTW books themselves.  This activity is in the Ancients activity guide.  Some libraries have them.  

• Like 1