Menu

Secular Curriculum Recommendations

Hello - I am a teacher this year for the homeschool enrichment program run by the local school district. I am also a homeschooling mom and recovering curriculum junkie. So, they put the curriculum library (we check these out to our parents) in my hands. 

Our offerings for both Language Arts and History are just sets of old textbooks discarded by the local high school and I am hoping to replace those with better curricula for our parents. However, it has to be secular as public funds are being used to purchase. 

So, What recommendations would you have for High School Language Arts and High School History. I really want these to be easy to use as well as effective content. 

Any ideas are welcome! ;)

It seems that a lot of homeschoolers use standard high school or college texts for the high school years but there are a few secular homeschool offerings that you might want to look at:

The Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum offers American History, World History, and Geography in a self paced workbook format. They also have science (non-lab, simple math) courses which appeal to non-STEM oriented students.

Excellence in Literature seems popular for literature.

IEW for writing and grammar

Essentials in Writing is a video based writing/grammar course. They've also just started a companion literature course 

It seems that a lot of homeschoolers use standard high school or college texts for the high school years but there are a few secular homeschool offerings that you might want to look at:

The Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum offers American History, World History, and Geography in a self paced workbook format. They also have science (non-lab, simple math) courses which appeal to non-STEM oriented students.

Excellence in Literature seems popular for literature.

IEW for writing and grammar

Essentials in Writing is a video based writing/grammar course. They've also just started a companion literature course 

Cathy Duffy lists Excellence in Literature as a Christian curriculum http://cathyduffyreviews.com/phonics_reading/excellence-in-literature.htmwhich fits with the impression I've always had.

We have a copy of Windows to the World: an introduction to literary analysis from IEW, and I would agree with the Duffy review that it is Christian in focus http://cathyduffyreviews.com/phonics_reading/windows-to-the-world.htm I haven't personally looked at other IEW products to know if some are secular.

Look at Grammar Revolution http://www.grammar-revolution-classroom.com/

Beyond the Book Report (Teaching the Essay and Teaching the Research Paper) https://www.analyticalgrammar.com/beyond-the-book-report-essay-research

Is Lightning Lit secular?  I seem to recall it is  https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Senior/sLightning.aspx

Check out Oak Meadow's English (high school) curriculum

I have the Introduction to Literature by Excellence in Literature and there are no religious references in it except for a brief one describing a recommended supplemental book with "a Christian worldview" as an alternative to another text. I don't know about the other volumes in the series though.

It might be good to have a sampling of texts and programs that might work for students with varying needs.

English--I'd get a set of the upper level MCT language arts materials, a few good college composition books (the Allyn & Bacon Guide to Writing is an example), Writing with Skill, a set of McDougal Littell Literature texts (2008), and Lightning Literature (I don't like it, but a lot of folks do).

History--The K12 history books are excellent.  The Human Odyssey volume 3 is written on a high school level, as is their World History Our Human Story (basically the entire Human Odyssey series condensed into one high school level text) and The American Odyssey.  Ways of the World is a college/AP text that is great as well.

Anything that says it is "secular" but written from a Christian worldview is probably not truly secular.  Also, any time a resource seems like it might be secular but the author's bio includes a statement about being Christian, you will probably find something nonsecular inside.

• Like 1

Anything that says it is "secular" but written from a Christian worldview is probably not truly secular. Also, any time a resource seems like it might be secular but the author's bio includes a statement about being Christian, you will probably find something nonsecular inside.

This. I have yet to see a regular textbook from ps that advertises itself as secular or mentions an author's religion. 'Secular' would be a red flag to me that a text was not secular, lol.

• Like 1