Menu

Literature Ideas? Thoughts?

I need some ideas for covering literature for my 10th grader.  He's my severe LD student.  Not quite reading on grade level but done remediating the dyslexia.  This year's focus is going to be on the skill of writing - moving from simple sentences to paragraphs to an essay.  Not sure how to cover literature skills.  He reads independently each day from books of his choice but wondering about all those literature skills I suppose one needs for college.  I will say that the two courses he'll need at the college level is mostly writing and not so much in response to literature so.....

any suggestions?  Last year we were working through HOD's RTR program and I had him read the read-alouds independently and I asked a few questions but that was about it.  Perhaps that is enough?  A booklist?  I had also thought about Lightening Lit (7) because of his writing issues but then worried that it would be too much writing with other writing - maybe not?

Help?  I really have to have something scheduled.  I'm not creative and while I don't write plans in a book and just fly by the seat of my pants - I need guidance without overwhelming him.  If it is too hard he'll shut down faster than mission control.  I looked at Memoria Press lit guides but sheesh, even some of those words are hard for me.

I was going to suggest the Memoria Press guides 😉...They have all the definitions and answers there to help you cover difficult material...I would definitely get teacher's guides though...You can use them to guide discussions if you don't want to give your son the student guides...

My oldest son (9th grader this year) has some processing issues and we are using the MP guides...I have to talk with him and help him through them, but the guides better prepare me to do that...

• Like 1

I would suggest contacting colleges you are interested in, especially if they have disability services offices that he will be working with for help and accommodations, and ask them for some guidance, if that is possible.

Otherwise, I'd suggest separating reading practice from literature and use audiobooks etc. (maybe movie versions of Shakespeare, or classics?) as a basis for literature and listen together then discuss and so on, probably trying to find books at his comprehension and interest level more than at his grade level.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a working relationship with the CC due to my oldest ds's disability.  They are great to work with but you have to have all your ducks in a row with the paperwork to back it up.  My next child started at CC last year with dyslexia (stealth) but we don't have documentation for her.  She's been much more driven to succeed and has figured out her own techniques to work around any challenges (mostly due to print size).  We just didn't have any more money for testing needed - three rounds of braces and 1 set of 4,000 hearing aides left us with not much more than the savings we needed for them to attend without debt to achieve their AA.  I've talked to disability counselor back when about finding someone that DX dyslexia for this particular third child but she didn't have any resources.  My dd says it probably wouldn't be worth it because the school doesn't have much to offer other than extra time taking a test and to work on that skill here at home before he comes to CC - in three years. 

Not sure what to do literature-wise - perhaps just keep on reading and growing that strength while working on managing a textbook with notetaking and test-taking skills (was going to use Apologia science for that and take it slow).

• Like 2

We used the Teaching the Classics DVDs with the Jill Pike syllabus. The first lesson was dry as dust but then improved significantly. TtC teaches Socratic questioning and how to make a story chart using children's books.

We use audio books, the Annenberg Learner site, Cliff Note summaries, short stories, plays, movie renditions of books, easier versions of a story, and literature text books. We take multiple hits at Shakespere. For example, we will read the Cliff notes, watch a couple versions of a play, and then read the play together. A ton of nuanced language is missed sometimes when only listening to the text. Probably the most helpful thing DS has done for writing is attend an informal logic class and work on a Progeny Press Intro to Poetry course.

Literature is an ongoing struggle for us.

• Like 3

Well, this may not help but DD and I talked it over and we will be starting World Lit using the 2007 AGS World Literature text book.  There is a Teacher's Guide and a work book that you can use or just get the text.  Usually available through Amazon used for very little.  I am linking the book through another site so you can see inside but those are new and full price.  Definitely look at Amazon for purchasing.  The book exposes a student to many genres of Literature from all over the world.  It is written for remedial students in High School.  Reading level is maybe 4th-5th grade but the content is High School level.  Explanations are very clear.  It also walks the student through how to read a textbook and how to target important information in a passage, etc.  There is also an older version that has fewer literary works (1999) with a picture of a porch on the front, I believe.  Honestly, either would probably do.  

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/f_reading-literature/32-f_literature-textbooks/ags-world-literature-mm8351.htm

• Like 1

Heather - what kind of informal logic course?  Any kind of product I could do at home?  Not much option for classes around here - unless I want to pay the same as I would for him to attend the local cc.

OneStep - I was looking at the AGS material yesterday as it was offered on the Rainbow Resource website but then when I go to order - not available.  Ugh.  This looks like something that would be a great option and will have to look/search/dig further to see what I can find and put it together.

• Like 1

Heather - what kind of informal logic course?  Any kind of product I could do at home?  Not much option for classes around here - unless I want to pay the same as I would for him to attend the local cc.

OneStep - I was looking at the AGS material yesterday as it was offered on the Rainbow Resource website but then when I go to order - not available.  Ugh.  This looks like something that would be a great option and will have to look/search/dig further to see what I can find and put it together.

Look on the site I linked for the cover art/materials you want since you can actually see some of the inside pages there, then go to Amazon and search.  Just make sure that the cover art matches between the text book, the TM and the workbook if you get more than just the textbook.  I think there may be a vocabulary work book as well.  I got all my AGS stuff on Amazon, sometimes for peanuts.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.  Since we haven't started it yet, I have limited knowledge but I could look things up for you.

This might also be a good option:

http://www.amazon.com/Movies-as-Literature-Kathryn-Stout/dp/1891975099

DS took that class outside our home using Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox.  I don't know whether a specific curriculum goes with it.

You could also look at Implications of the Short Story.  You have to call the publisher directly to order it.

• Like 1

I also have a child who struggles quite a bit, doesn't read on grade level,  and we have used the Memoria Press lit guides as well.  However, it was suggested to us to go back a few grade levels for him (he was 15 last year) because the guides are challenging even at a lower level.  It has worked well for him and he doesn't know or care what level it was originally suggested for.

• Like 2

We used the Teaching the Classics DVDs with the Jill Pike syllabus. The first lesson was dry as dust but then improved significantly. TtC teaches Socratic questioning and how to make a story chart using children's books.

We use audio books, the Annenberg Learner site, Cliff Note summaries, short stories, plays, movie renditions of books, easier versions of a story, and literature text books. We take multiple hits at Shakespere. For example, we will read the Cliff notes, watch a couple versions of a play, and then read the play together. A ton of nuanced language is missed sometimes when only listening to the text. Probably the most helpful thing DS has done for writing is attend an informal logic class and work on a Progeny Press Intro to Poetry course.

Literature is an ongoing struggle for us.

I have the DVDs from my older dc but have not heard of the Jill Pike syllabus.  Can you tell me about that and where to look for it?  Thanks!

• Like 1

I also have a child who struggles quite a bit, doesn't read on grade level, and we have used the Memoria Press lit guides as well. However, it was suggested to us to go back a few grade levels for him (he was 15 last year) because the guides are challenging even at a lower level. It has worked well for him and he doesn't know or care what level it was originally suggested for.

This is true...My upcoming 9th grader is also doing MP lit guides below grade level...

• Like 1

Will be checking into these options.  I like the AGS stuff but have to figure out how to put it together.  I was looking, again, at lightening literature (7th grade) and wondered if that wouldn't be something to use.  It teaches outlining/note taking.  Anyone ever look it over and either A - run far far away from it - or B - gave careful consideration before moving on?

We do not have TV so I cannot really speak knowledgeably of this, but a book I read by a teacher at an inner city LA school said he got good results teaching Lit ideas and understanding by first using TV and pointing out things like introduction, foreshadowing, structure, characterization, plot, protagonist, antagonist, pace, crisis, denoument, etc. types of literary elements and techniques that could be found for free in common TV shows and movies and that did not result in feelings of being overwhelmed with difficult reading or ideas at the same time as those different elements and beginnings into analysis were being done.

• Like 3

We do not have TV so I cannot really speak knowledgeably of this, but a book I read by a teacher at an inner city LA school said he got good results teaching Lit ideas and understanding by first using TV and pointing out things like introduction, foreshadowing, structure, characterization, plot, protagonist, antagonist, pace, crisis, denoument, etc. types of literary elements and techniques that could be found for free in common TV shows and movies and that did not result in feelings of being overwhelmed with difficult reading or ideas at the same time as those different elements and beginnings into analysis were being done.

We don't have a tv either :-)

http://iew.com/shop/products/syllabus-introduction-literary-analysis

I cannot believe they are charging money for that because it used to be free.  It may be free if you purchased TtC or Windows to the World through IEW.  Maybe contact them and ask.

I paid for it about six months ago with WttW.  I also own TtC (the workbook and the DVDs.)

I am teaching a co-op class using the Jill Pike syllabus and doing the TtC and WttW parts.  I have altered it a bit to fit our schedule and to replace Jane Eyre with Frankenstein.  I think it would probably work very well with your son, OP.  You can modify as needed.  It is very incremental and you can slow it down as needed at home.  

I also really like Figuratively Speaking for literary terms.  It is a middle school-ish book but can be used by any ages.  It teaches the language of literature analysis and should be empowering for a student who struggles.

• Like 3

Will be checking into these options.  I like the AGS stuff but have to figure out how to put it together.  I was looking, again, at lightening literature (7th grade) and wondered if that wouldn't be something to use.  It teaches outlining/note taking.  Anyone ever look it over and either A - run far far away from it - or B - gave careful consideration before moving on?

Excepting the poetry and the Helen Keller book, DS studied all of the LL grade 7 lit selections when he was in the 5th grade plus 4-5 other books.  I used guides from various publishers.  LL grade 7 selections feel too easy for a dyslexic 10th grader.  I was shocked when I saw the lit selections and passed on it since we'd already covered the books.

DS also learned topical and full sentence outlining in 7th grade.  I Googled for free instructions online.  DS prefers using Inspiration and other mindmapping sw for that sort of thing.  

We do have tv so learning some of the obvious skills in literature using that tool is definitely something I'm going to try and bring to light.  Pretty easy to do.  I'm going to pick up the Figueratively book and work through some of that. I'm thinking of the MP guides and wonder about that Grammar of Poetry course. Still struggling with what direction to go with literature but probably struggling more at this point with what direction to take history in so that I can then figure out how to add in the literature component.  I need guides that tell me what to do, when to do, etc.  I'm not a creative one that can think out of the box these days because I've got a lot on my plate that requires a lot of mental support from me so I really need an open and go kind of thing.

Any ideas on to combine a 7th grade vsl/rb learner who learns with print versus screens with the dyslexic/dysgraphic/short memory 10th grader in history would be great.  I've run the gamut from HOD to Biblioplan to Sonlight and not sure where to go.  There is one of me, two of them, and a whole lot of family dynamics going on!  Ack!!!!

• Like 1

We do have tv so learning some of the obvious skills in literature using that tool is definitely something I'm going to try and bring to light.  Pretty easy to do.  I'm going to pick up the Figueratively book and work through some of that. I'm thinking of the MP guides and wonder about that Grammar of Poetry course. Still struggling with what direction to go with literature but probably struggling more at this point with what direction to take history in so that I can then figure out how to add in the literature component.  I need guides that tell me what to do, when to do, etc.  I'm not a creative one that can think out of the box these days because I've got a lot on my plate that requires a lot of mental support from me so I really need an open and go kind of thing.

Any ideas on to combine a 7th grade vsl/rb learner who learns with print versus screens with the dyslexic/dysgraphic/short memory 10th grader in history would be great.  I've run the gamut from HOD to Biblioplan to Sonlight and not sure where to go.  There is one of me, two of them, and a whole lot of family dynamics going on!  Ack!!!!

Are you using Learning Ally and Bookshare with your 10th grader and can he type?

I have not looked into Learning Ally or Bookshare - will have to see how expensive.  We've had a lot of expense with two attending college, a few rounds of braces and hearing aides and saving for a new pair that are needed ASAP so.... cost is an issue.  I'm thinking American history but flexible.

• 1 month later...

I was shocked when I saw the lit selections and passed on it since we'd already covered the books.

And yet I am considering using LL7 with my ds when he is in high school. He is dyslexic and has some processing issues, and the challenge level would be appropriate for him. Especially on the Learning Challenges board, it would be nice if people didn't disparage programs that others could benefit from.

And yet I am considering using LL7 with my ds when he is in high school. He is dyslexic and has some processing issues, and the challenge level would be appropriate for him. Especially on the Learning Challenges board, it would be nice if people didn't disparage programs that others could benefit from.

My DS has a WM 34% and processing at 17%, and I answered the question truthfully because the OP asked whether anyone had looked at LL7.  We passed on it.  Use the program if it suits your family.  

My child sat in a nt classroom from pre-k through 6th grade and was Wilson tutored for 5 years.  He types and started using mindmaps in 4th grade.  We have been members of Learningally since he was 3rd  grade.  I was shocked to discover I had inadvertently used 7th grade LL reading selections for my 2e kiddo with 3 SLDs in 5th grade. Chill out!

ETA:  TtC videos use children's books to teach story elements.  We used that as well.

I need some ideas for covering literature for my 10th grader.  He's my severe LD student.  Not quite reading on grade level but done remediating the dyslexia.  This year's focus is going to be on the skill of writing - moving from simple sentences to paragraphs to an essay.  Not sure how to cover literature skills.  He reads independently each day from books of his choice but wondering about all those literature skills I suppose one needs for college.  I will say that the two courses he'll need at the college level is mostly writing and not so much in response to literature so.....

Honestly, don't spread yourself too thin by trying to work on writing AND literary analysis at the same time. Your #1 goal in prepping him for college should be to work on writing skills--do a semester of literary analysis his senior year IF you have time to spare. Otherwise, work as hard as you can on the bolded part. Seriously--if he can write, they'll teach him in college to do lit analysis. If he can't write--he's going to struggle in a lot of classes. So far this year my entry level Freshman has:

5 English papers

1 paper each in his other gen-ed classes: history, psychology, and philosophy

Essay tests in each of the above classes (the history test was four essays of minimum 3 paragraphs each, 5-6 sentences per paragraph, to meet the requirement. He has his second test in this format coming up on Monday.)

No lit. analysis. (He can't even take a lit class until he's done 2 English classes.) I know he'll have to take 1 or 2 literature classes and that they'll do lit analysis in those, but papers are much more universal.

That's not to say you can't work on it through narration and discussion--you can start to introduce terms (protagonist, antagonist, climax, conflict etc...), to give him exposure--you could make a list of terms and talk about one per week this year as an intro, for example. But, if he still needs basic writing help, seriously, this is superfluous right now.

Definitely keep him reading (we usually did 30 minutes lit, 30 minutes writing per day for our English credits), and you can occasionally use that reading time to discuss a free online lit guide's questions (like the Glencoe Guides). Audio books or reading aloud to him are great things to continue and can provide easier opportunities for discussing a book. Don't feel like you always have to have "formal lit" discussions--discuss what interests both of you, choices a character makes, consequences of those choices, predictions, what the character could have done instead, and so on. 

For a writing program, Essentials in Writing worked really well for us, and follows the exact progression you listed (sentences, paragraphs, essays). In their 11th and 12th grade levels, they do include a lit. analysis essay too, so if he were to do those, he would get exposure there. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  We actually started the LL7 but haven't made it back to it just yet.  I'm working on the writing skills which need to be strong for him to place into the college English at the CC and hoping I can get him up to a comfortable working level.  Thankfully I've got a pretty good idea of which courses he'll need the writing in for the first two years at the CC (mainly English) so fingers-crossed he'll mature enough and relax as he gets very ovwhelmed and worked up over a writing assignment but boy, he is creative once he gets going.  I've got EIW on my shelf (10th grade) but will probably wait another year until we tackle.  My dd didn't do a whole lot writing until her senior year and then we covered that and some basic literature skills (she's dyslexic) and she ended up with a perfect placement score for CC.  I just had her read, read and read some more.  I think I just get caught up in the worry that each of my kiddos won't have those skills - and probably more so with this particular child because he works the hardest to overcome his challenges - even more so than his older brother.

You had to ask... :glare:   I'm doing what I do best - winging it.  My history struggles are for the vsl/rb learner who sometimes seems to be dyslexic.  I've been doing some research to see if these kiddos do indeed become readers of other things than graphic-style novels and they do.  I pulled the Children's Encyclopedia of American History and we covered the different Indian tribes.  Short and sweet.  Still not sure.  Wondered about the Notgrass America the Beautiful (realizing that VSL need the big picture, not a lot of detail and "keep it moving lady" lessons) but for now I'm just using my Truthquest guides and that handy dandy encyclopedia and winging it.  If we strike upon something that he appears interested in digging in deeper I suppose I'll just have panic at the point. haha!  I looked at the HSITW CDs which look great but I know myself.  There is no way I'm going to be doing all of that printing and prepping, just no, not going to happen.  Too bad they don't sell it all printed and ready to go - might have considered it.  I'm a gal that needs a schedule that tells me what, when, where, and how but it doesn't look like I'm going to have that this year and so I guess this year is me learning how to be more relaxed and thinking outside the box.

You'd think it would be great visiting all the wealth of history here in the area.  Sadly, the cost of parking and transportation is absurd!  Even walking the battlefield, which is right next to the CC my older kids attend has a cost - it is all grass!!!!  I've looked at Mt. Vernon and, at the time, it was high cost.  We do love visiting the Marine Corp museum and that cost is Free!  Being boys and Dad served as a Marine - well, they eat that stuff up!  While DC is relatively safe in the tourist areas it is just not something we do that often because of my dh's job (he'd be on duty when we go to city).  Once January rolls around life changes and hopefully things will ease up a bit.

Since I don't live there, I easily forget the costs.  I wonder if prices could be reduced for students and teachers.  We visited Mt. Vernon when DS was a toddler.  

We love Arlington but have never been to the USMC Museum.  Now I want to visit DC.  We are going to study early US history, and I am finally excited about it.  

When DS was 5th grade, he completed a history project where he examined our family tree.  I used the free trial of ancestry.com, and it was enlightening.  For DS, he was better able to connect to history once he understood where his relatives entered the US.  The info was very surprising.  Anyhoo..Good luck! 

BTW, Thank-you Merry.  I plan to purchase EIW.