Menu

Soft yet indestructible chew toy for dog?

lewber

Our dog is awesome about everything but chewing. He's an almost 3 year old lab. He loves to destroy socks and towels. He has kongs and bones and bully sticks, but he still goes for the soft things. He can destroy a rope toy in about 5 minutes flat.

Are there any soft toys out there that can stand up to aggressive lab chewers?

I intentionally don't give our pups soft chew toys because I don't want the confusion. There are some tougher stuffed toys, but with kids who love their stuffies, sniffing a stuffed animal gets a leave it! and a redirection to one of their toys. Maybe your dog is smarter. Mine...not going to be in Doggie Mensa. ;)

Mine like Zogoflex toys better than Kongs. The bone shape lasts longest for us. The company will replace the toy once I think. Amazon has good prices.

if you have an over-abundance of plastic water bottles (the kind you get if you buy a bottle of water to drink on the road), they provide a lot of entertainment for the dog (they are hardly indestructible, but cheap).  

NOTE:  Back home, we don't drink nearly the amounts of bottled water that we do here...but at home, we aren't mandated to drink bottled water.  We do our best to minimize, by getting the large refillable jugs, but often, those taste like chlorine (so then, I have to filter the water again), but we still need smaller bottles for various things (we've actually had instructions to NOT bring refillable bottles places).

I bought many "extra tough" soft toys for my Chi/terrier mix, and he put holes in all of them in no time flat.  Even the Kevlar ones couldn't survive him. My only recommendation would be to buy clearance priced soft toys instead of pricey ones.   ;)  

If he only destroys soft toys (doesn't try to swallow them) then you might consider hitting up yard sales and thrift stores and buying a bunch of inexpensive stuffed toys.

Some dogs who like to tear things up can have all sorts of fun with a cardboard box that's headed for the recycle bin anyway.

My Shih Tzu (definitely not a power chewer ;)) loves shredding paper towels and paper plates.

Just a note about stuffed toys for dogs:  we are pretty certain that our golden got pneumonia (and nearly died--the doggy ER saved him) from inhaling stuffing from a dog toy he destroyed.  Healthy four-year old goldens don't ordinarily just up and come down with pneumonia.  The vet agreed it was a possibility, but of course, it is impossible to know for sure.  Our dogs still have stuffies, but at the first hint that they have liberated any stuffing, the toy gets surgery or gets thrown away.  Fortunately, my 15 yo is an expert stuffed toy surgeon.

Our dog is also a very aggressive chewer -- and he prefers soft things that squeak.   We have finally found a brand that is 'almost' indestructible.    They are plush, with a squeaker, and on average they have lasted almost a year each.   I cannot recommend them enough.  They are called 'Fluff and Tuff'.   Here is there website, but they are sold in various pet stores, too.   http://www.fluffandtuff.com  Good luck!

Our dog is awesome about everything but chewing. He's an almost 3 year old lab. He loves to destroy socks and towels. He has kongs and bones and bully sticks, but he still goes for the soft things. He can destroy a rope toy in about 5 minutes flat.

Are there any soft toys out there that can stand up to aggressive lab chewers?

I have yet to find an "indestructible soft toy" that my Boston terrier can't get through in 24 hours or less. If it makes it more than 15 minutes, it was a good toy.

Does your dog chew these items when you are home? It might be a behavioral problem as much as a preference for soft toys.

Have you tried a Kong with peanut butter frozen inside? Get a black one in the largest breed they make. Even sizing up one and going with the heavier black ones, Grace took off the top in about 3 months.