Menu

MFW Adventures Vs HOD Beyond?

faiths13

I can't help about HOD since have never tried it or even looked into it. We do MFW and the kids absolutely love it. Adventures was a lot of fun for us, I did it with a 3rd, 2nd and K at the time. The stories and activities were fun, and it was very adaptable to different ages. That was a couple years ago, and the kids still remember a lot of what they learned that year. HTH!

We just completed our third and last (sniff, sniff) time through Adventures and loved it just as much as ever. I did add in some of Beautiful Feet's book choices from their Primary Early American guide for my youngest bibliophile. I already told my children I am saving Adventures for my future grandchildren and fully expect to use it again someday!

• Like 1

Well, a year ago I would have said Beyond. Fast forward to now and I am using Adventures with my 5 and 7 year old. I like the book selections a lot more than I did with HOD. We really did miss picture books in our school work. My oldest is also retaining more this year. We are also adding in the Beautful Feet books. It has been great so far and we are 6 weeks in!

• Like 1

Well, a year ago I would have said Beyond. Fast forward to now and I am using Adventures with my 5 and 7 year old. I like the book selections a lot more than I did with HOD. We really did miss picture books in our school work. My oldest is also retaining more this year. We are also adding in the Beautful Feet books. It has been great so far and we are 6 weeks in!

If you don't mind me asking....what Beautiful Feet books are you adding in?  We are also doing ADV this year and are on week 5.  We are having a great time!!

I have used both.  I will try and give you a comparison.

The first time I did ADV was with an eight year old and 6 and 5 year olds tagging along.  It really was a good year.  The 6 & 5 joined in on some science experiments, Bible, and the Jesus poster.  They also joined in on the hands on activities for the history.  The eight year old did the entire program with some HOD Bigger books added in for book basket that he read, some Apologia Astronomy added in, and his Awana memory verses.

The second time I did ADV, which was this past year, was with 3rd and 2nd graders.  I added Beyond to it, or you could say I did Beyond and added ADV to it. They both really enjoyed their history this year.  Since they had done ADV hands on and Bible when they were younger I didn't do it a second time.  They did do all the ADV note booking.

If I had to choose between the two I would pick ADV.  However, I did really like the Pilgrim history that Beyond brought to ADV this past school year.  When I combined though I more or less did the Beyond history first (I wasn't using her science or LA since they were beyond it or math since they were beyond it or Bible since we had our own, so it was essentially the history and hands on projects), and then I did the ADV history and state study.

The comparison:

Beyond ~ it begins with the Pilgrims in England, follows them to Holland, and then follows them to America.  The very end of the program goes through the Patriots and Pioneers book and then goes through the beginning of America, Gold Rush, and westward expansion fairly quickly.  Carrie includes some copy work, Bible, poetry, Singapore math, Christian Light science (very basic), and hands on activities into the program.  I actually started last fall with Beyond only doing the whole program.  I quickly found it was too easy for my 2nd grader so I decided to pull the history out of it, add in ADV with the note booking, add in my 3rd grader, and use it for history while doing Apologia for science.

Adventures ~ This program is based on the US History text, Pioneers and Patriots book, state sheets, and Usborne hands on science.  It is a program that is fairly easy to use as a full program for a 2nd grader.  A first grader could be pulled into it with LA and math for their level.  A 3rd grader can be pulled into it with LA and math for their level.  The Bible is the names of Jesus.  The History starts with Leif Erickson and then touches on major events of American History up to 1850.  It skips the war of 1812 and slavery (as does Beyond).  It skips the Civil War, but mentions it briefly.  It starts state sheets as they join the union on the time-line with the history.  It adds in inventions towards the end.  It also goes through the Gold Rush and westward expansion with the Pioneers and Patriots book.  It includes hands on activities as well.

I like MFW Bible better then HOD because I find it goes into more depth and covers more ground.  The copy work in Adventures is of the scriptures memorized, rather then of poetry.  The hands on activities are harder to get done but I have more memories of them (my oldest is now in 6th so it was awhile ago).  

The Pilgrims in HOD Beyond were interesting and it spent a lot of time on them.  If one was really interested they could add the Christian Light Liberty Pilgrims book to the ADV book basket or as an extra read aloud story.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1