Menu

Common App:School profile in counselor section and school philosophy in student section

mamato4

I asked this question in another thread but I though it would be less confusing for me to start a separate thread. Thanks for reading this again.

I have written up a school profile which I am planning to upload onto the counselor section.  I started filling out the student portion and in the last tab called "Homeschool," it has these questions which is answered in my school profile.

Please provide any information about the applicant's homeschool experience and environment that you believe would be helpful to the reader (e.g. educational philosophy, motivation for homeschooling, instruction setting, etc.).

Please explain the grading scale or other methods of evaluation.

My question then is should I re-write my school profile or should I just use the same information in both sections?

Another question I have is course descriptions.  I have the course descriptions for all of dd's high school classes.  In the student part of the counselor section it asks about outside courses:

If the student has taken courses from a distance learning program, traditional secondary school, or institution of higher education, please list the course title and content, sponsoring institution, instruction setting and schedule, and frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.). In addition, if the student has taken any standardized testing other than those listed on page 2 of the Common Application, please also describe below.

I can easily enter the data that I have but I'd still like to submit the whole document that lists and describes all her classes as one college she is targeting wants to see that information.  Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see another area where I can upload supplemental documents other than the school profile and transcripts.

Thank you and a warning that I'm sure to have more questions to ask as I go along!   :) 

I asked this question in another thread but I though it would be less confusing for me to start a separate thread. Thanks for reading this again.

I have written up a school profile which I am planning to upload onto the counselor section.  I started filling out the student portion and in the last tab called "Homeschool," it has these questions which is answered in my school profile.

Please provide any information about the applicant's homeschool experience and environment that you believe would be helpful to the reader (e.g. educational philosophy, motivation for homeschooling, instruction setting, etc.).

Please explain the grading scale or other methods of evaluation.

My question then is should I re-write my school profile or should I just use the same information in both sections?

I broke up and pasted the information from my school profile into the respective boxes.

Another question I have is course descriptions.  I have the course descriptions for all of dd's high school classes.  In the student part of the counselor section it asks about outside courses:

If the student has taken courses from a distance learning program, traditional secondary school, or institution of higher education, please list the course title and content, sponsoring institution, instruction setting and schedule, and frequency of interactions with instructors and fellow students (once per day, week, etc.). In addition, if the student has taken any standardized testing other than those listed on page 2 of the Common Application, please also describe below.

I can easily enter the data that I have but I'd still like to submit the whole document that lists and describes all her classes as one college she is targeting wants to see that information.  Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see another area where I can upload supplemental documents other than the school profile and transcripts.

I wrote a short paragraph about outside courses that answered the above question in the box provided.

I wrote course descriptions for all classes, including outside classes (where I copied the course description provided by the college catalog) and uploaded this as second transcript.

In the box, I included a remark "for details, see course descriptions (2nd transcript)".

• Like 2

I used the same document for both sections. I think (for ds1) for outside courses, I just put some basic info and wrote "see course descriptions with transcript."

Unlike, Regentrude, I included the course descriptions in the first transcript upload. This was mostly because I had them as a single document for other scholarship stuff. But I don't think (now) that it matters so much. They just want the information.

• Like 1