Menu

Your favorite go-to meals?

Tina

As we head into a new school year, I'd like to put together a list of favorite meals that you can get on the table in maybe an hour.  You know, when you walk in the door and everyone's starved and ready for supper?  We'll have soccer every night this year, and I'm working more, so I'm looking for new ideas for a fast dinner.  Crockpot dinners are also okay.  Just need some help with new options.  Thanks!

http://www.emilybites.com/2013/02/spicy-sausage-pasta.html

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/west-african-chicken-stew-well-fed-2/

Both of these take me about 30 minutes to make and are delicious. They appear in our meal plans 1-3 times a month usually. I always have the ingredients in hand so if I don't have sow thing planned, this is what we we will have.

• Like 2

I rarely cook meals that take longer than 30 minutes. Our stand-byes are:

Pasta or rice with

-tomato sauce

-meat sauce (with or without tomato)

-salmon in white wine+cream sauce

-mushrooms in cream sauce

-mixed sauteed vegetables

- warm tomato&mozzarella salad

Stir fry

Pork chops (if you have time, marinade ahead of time)

Chicken thighs, marinaded, or in curry sauce

Thai curry

Vegetable stew

• Like 1

We eat a lot of shrimp (frozen). A pound feeds 4 of us well. My favorite way to make it is Honey Lime--you can google for easy recipes. I use a quarter cup of olive oil, juice of two limes (and zest of one), 2T of honey, a couple cloves of garlic and a quarter tsp of red pepper flakes. Marinate the thawed shrimp for at least an hour (you can pop it in the marinade in the am if you want). Then just toss in a frying pan and cook for about 2 mins. I serve it on rice. I also toss the cooked rice into the pan I make the shrimp in--it soaks up some of the yumminess and gives the dish more flavor.

I also marinate shrimp in lime and oil, then cook, adding in a pint of grape tomatoes and a small handful of cilantro. Add some garlic and a little salt and pepper or red pepper. Toss into cooked thin spaghetti, adding some good olive oil. (Just warm the tomatoes--they break down quick and I don't like them cooked.) Serve with good bread and a salad. Yuummmm.

• Like 2

Soup with sandwiches and/or salad. I make lots of soup and stew in the winter!

Mexican - tacos, fajitas, enchilada casserole

We eat a lot of basic protein plus three veggie meals. Or two veegies and a starch. Nothing tricky.

Roast chx, pork chops or chx thighs in a sauce, pan fried fish.

Salmon or burgers on the grill.

Mac and cheese with some variety of pork.

Shrimp scampi is fast.

Cassoulet with white bean, Italian sausage, parsnips and carrots is a winter favorite here.

Pasta and pesto with chx

Meatloaf and stir fry are workhorse meals here, but take me a bit longer to prepare.

• Like 1

Black bean tacos

1 can black beans drained

1 can corn drained

1 can petite diced tomatoes

1 packet taco seasoning mix

Heat together and serve on flour tortillas with cheese. Easy to add chicken or rice left overs or add lettuce, sour cream, etc.

• Like 1

-Breakfast for dinner. Eggs and bacon, pancakes w/ a side of fresh fruit, hashbrowns

-If you are near a Trader Joes, they have this amazing Orange Chicken in the frozen section that I cook up with a bag of frozen asian veggies and some rice. Easy and fast meal.

-Amy's Organic Lentil and Vegetable soup. You can get them by the case at Cosco for about $1 a can. Pair it with some fruit or a smoothie and you're good.

-Spaghetti

-Grilled cheese and tomato soup

-Cook up some frozen chicken tenderloins in a skillet with lots of butter and sea salt, and a side of rice and frozen veggies.

-Cook up sliced veggies (zucchini, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, just whatever yall like) in olive oil. Serve on pasta with extra olive oil and parmesan cheese on top.

• Like 1

These are dinners we eat often:

spaghetti with sauce; sometimes we have meatballs

tacos

beef and chicken fajitas; sometimes shrimp fajitas

baked chicken  ( I make a glaze that is 1/3 c. honey, 1/3 c. barbecue sauce, 1/3 c. soy sauce)

baked salmon with white or fried rice  (sauce for the salmon:  tablespoon of butter, melted; add Texas Pete hot sauce and brown sugar (to taste)

cheese steak subs

hot dogs  :leaving:

hamburgers; with fries or tater tots

• Like 1

Budgetbytes looks good!

I also found this site for quick meals that I need to look through -- http://joyfulhomemaking.com/2015/07/quick-dinner-ideas-48.html

Also found this one:  http://www.intentionallydomestic.com/101-real-food-recipes-in-30-minutes-hands-on-or-less-main-dishes/

Quick meals I can think of that are not listed:

BLTs  (I keep a package of precooked bacon on hand)

sloppy joes

Schwann's precooked/breaded chicken bites or breast pieces and some lettuce in tortillas, or the guys just put BBQ sauce on them

Cheese quesadillas

when we grill we try to cook extra burgers or brats (not in the winter, of course)

teriyaki chicken (marinate and grill a large batch)

fried egg sandwiches

chili

wet burritos

taco salad

chicken tetrazzini

mazetti hotdish (hamburger, onion, celery, noodles, tomato soup, cheese)  I just cook it stovetopj

frozen lasagna (put it in the oven before the soccer game or whatever)

Schwann's chicken cordon bleu or kiev

rice-a-roni meatballs  with green beans on the side

Other ideas??

I rarely cook anything that takes and hour, if I do they'll find something else and then come back when dinners ready.  I also try to not make meat the main dish.  So we do things like Spaghetti, which you can pre-make homemade sauce and freeze it. There's always Tacos (especially quick if you cooked up several pounds of meat and froze it ahead of time).  I like to do "not really soup"- soups, like Pea soup and Potato soup.  I also will cook an extra pound or two of chicken when I make Alfredo and then use it a couple days later in a curry...... now I'm hungry and it's still 3 hours until dinner.

Super quick is Sausage and Cabbage or Black Bean Quesadillas.  We also do breakfast for dinner sometimes.

• Like 1