Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinsa

What do you serve with quesadillas?

I made quesadillas for dinner tonight, but I couldn't come up with anything to go along with them.  What do you serve with them?  Rice and beans?

Quesadillas are what I make on nights I need quick and/or easy, so sides must follow suit:

- rice and beans when I have them in my freezer

- carrot sticks and fruit

- leftover jalepeno/ginger sweet potatoes (actually these go IN my quesadilla, but the rest of the family won't eat them that way)

- chips and guacomole

Salad with tomato and avocado and a lime vinaigrette with a little of my taco seasoning and green Tabasco.

Fruit (pineapple and mango) with some Tajin

Roasted poblanos with crema.  Squash blossoms sauteed with tomato, onion, and garlic.  Pickled vegetables.  Lots of salsas. Pickled onions.  And definitely fruit with Tajin.

I dip mine in guacamole (okay, I use my quesadilla as a shovel for guacamole). I may serve with a cold salad of some sort (anything from simple green, to a marinated cucumber, or black bean salad). But I need to save room for guacamole.

depends on what is in the quesadilla. most often a green salad and/or fruit. in the winter, soup. the tortilla is carby enough for me, so probably not another grain. also depends on whether it is served as lunch or dinner. They are basically a sandwich for us and could be anything.

rice and beans with cheese is usually a main dish here. a side if we have company and I am serving mexican and need a filler side dish in case kids don't like the main dish. my ds will eat rice and beans 3-4 meals a week if i let him.

spinach, mushrooms and mont. jack

smoked gouda and mushrooms

steak, sauteed onions and swiss

chx and random veggies and random cheese

more typical mexican ingredients and seasonings with cheddar

feta, sliced tomatoes, spinach and bell peppers

breakfast ingredients - eggs and sausage or bacon or ham with cheddar and green onions

Wow, and all I could think of was Spanish rice, which I make in the crockpot.  I especially like the tomato soup idea!

Black bean, corn, and red pepper salad.

Can of beans, can of corn, bit of chopped red pepper and purple onion. Mix with salt and pepper, a ton of lime juice, and fresh cilantro.

And of course, fresh guac!

Almost always:

Black beans, with or without rice

Sour cream, salsa

Guacamole or avocado slices

For lunch, I would add fruit and some sort of fresh veggie (carrots, bell pepper strips, snow peas, cucumbers)

For dinner, I would add a green salad and probably a green cooked vegetable. Or if it were just the kids and me, I like the soup idea.

ScoutTN, thanks for the inspired list of ideas for quesadillas! I know what we are having for lunch tomorrow. . .

Nothing because it's my lazy meal.  If I wasn't a lady person then I would do rice and beans.  I love the guacamole suggestion though.  Homemade guacamole can make everything taste special.  

bbq sauce

Seriously, that's the only way my dd will eat them. No one else likes quesadillas so I don't serve them as a family meal, but will fry one up for her lunch. For a meal I'd probably go with one of those bagged chopped salads on the side.

Quesadillas are a lunch or a lazy meal here. So, salad maybe, or carrot sticks and cucumber or sliced tomato if we have it. We usually make guacamole and serve with salsa and sour cream. There is BBQ sauce in the fridge for anyone who so desires. 

I kinda feel like tomato soup is wrong. But I hate to be judgey.

Just please confirm that you don't live in Texas if you made that suggestion.

I usually put enough stuff in them that it's a full lunch meal, perhaps with salsa and avocado or guacamole on top. Inside my favorite is black bean and spinach but we also do chicken or pork sometimes.

Any of the following that I have:

Guacamole

Salsa/pico

Plain Greek yogurt

Baby carrots for the extra guac

Other fruits or veggies, usually something simple like steamed broccoli and apple slices.

I am too lazy to prepare anything complicated.

We usually just have chips and salsa (bought or homemade, depending).  If I happen to have a decent avocado, I'll cut that up or make guacamole. 

Usually quesadillas are the meal choice when there's no time for a "regular" meal but rather when we're rushed, or for a quick lunch.  If they are part of a regular dinner, then I'd add a salad.   

Salad with tomato and avocado and a lime vinaigrette with a little of my taco seasoning and green Tabasco.

Fruit (pineapple and mango) with some Tajin

TAJIN!!!  I just had this for the first time two weeks ago -- on pineapple!  It was amazing. The next day, I went out and searched through three stores before finding it.  I eventually found it back at the first place I looked.  It wasn't in the spice section, the Mexican food aisle, or with the hot sauces, but it was on a display in the produce section. 

I don't think I can add anything to the answers for the OP.  Homemade pico de gallo or Texas caviar or guacamole. Rice and beans, either black, pinto or refried.  If I heat up a can of refried, I always add a couple of tablespoons of water to thin it out to restaurant consistency.

TAJIN!!! I just had this for the first time two weeks ago -- on pineapple! It was amazing. The next day, I went out and searched through three stores before finding it. I eventually found it back at the first place I looked. It wasn't in the spice section, the Mexican food aisle, or with the hot sauces, but it was on a display in the produce section.

I don't think I can add anything to the answers for the OP. Homemade pico de gallo or Texas caviar or guacamole. Rice and beans, either black, pinto or refried. If I heat up a can of refried, I always add a couple of tablespoons of water to thin it out to restaurant consistency.

It should be with the fruit! The billboards advertising it and similar products here have a lot of very interesting suggestions for serving salsas like that.

Was your Tajin powdered or a sauce? If you can't find Tajin, you can use any old chile sauce and add some lime juice. That's usually what people do in my part of Mexico anyway.

(Sorry for the Tajin tangent.)

I kinda feel like tomato soup is wrong. But I hate to be judgey.

Just please confirm that you don't live in Texas if you made that suggestion.

I don't live in Texas .

I view it as an alternative to grilled cheese when I serve it with soup. It's just cheese and tortillas.

If I make a more complex one with meat and/or veggies then I serve it with guacamole and chips.

TAJIN!!! I just had this for the first time two weeks ago -- on pineapple! It was amazing. The next day, I went out and searched through three stores before finding it. I eventually found it back at the first place I looked. It wasn't in the spice section, the Mexican food aisle, or with the hot sauces, but it was on a display in the produce section.

I don't think I can add anything to the answers for the OP. Homemade pico de gallo or Texas caviar or guacamole. Rice and beans, either black, pinto or refried. If I heat up a can of refried, I always add a couple of tablespoons of water to thin it out to restaurant consistency.

Try it on popcorn. :)

Quesadillas are what I make on nights I need quick and/or easy, so sides must follow suit:

Same here, so what I serve with them has to be just as quick and easy. 

--small tossed salad (usually just some kind of lettuce with grape tomatoes)

--veggies and dip

--cut up fruit

--sliced tomatoes sprinkled with sea salt and cracked pepper

--whatever anyone can find in the fridge that they want with their quesadillas.

I just have to say, I'm moderately amused that this topic has turned into a "Hot Topic".  Who'da thunk? (LOL)

Sour cream and salsa or pico. Maybe fruit. We put meat and beans and such in our quesadillas though, so they really don't need any sides.

That sweet corn-bread like stuff that you scoop out. I don't know what it's called and never made it from scratch, but the Chi chi's pouch is foolproof.

Although, if I'm perfectly honest, quesadillas usually happen here when I need to use leftovers and I consider them a complete meal since you can get all the food groups into them. Sakai and sour cream in the side and done.

For us, it's always rice and beans cooked in taco seasoning or salsa. We are huge rice and bean eaters.

Quesadillas are a lazy night kind of meal for us, so they usually get served with refried beans from the freezer (I make a huge batch of these and freeze them in meal-size portions http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/70312/refried-beans-without-the-refry/?internalSource=search%20result&referringContentType=search%20results) and chopped romaine topped with sour cream.

I put so much in my quesadillas, they are usually a complete meal.  If I don't put black beans inside, I could serve with refried beans.  I always serve guacamole and salsa.  Sometimes I serve sauteed zucchini or carrot sticks.  The kids usually get fruit with their meals.  Corn would be an ok side but the corn is usually in my black bean salad which I stuff into the quesadilla. 

I just have to say, I'm moderately amused that this topic has turned into a "Hot Topic".  Who'da thunk? (LOL)

You never can tell with these sleeper food threads. Not quite as hot as the Better Than Robert Redford dessert thread. Still a long ways to go before it reaches cupcake thread fame.

This sounds yummy!