Menu

Pecan ideas

Amira

I have a bag of whole pecans that we need to eat so I'm looking for ideas. Savory recipes would be great, but sweet ones are okay too, as long as they're not too sweet (so no pecan pie). Also, not too complicated because I don't have a lot of kitchen equipment right now (no pecan pie for that reason too). I've made pecan brittle and used them in things like brownies. Maybe something like an apple pecan crisp? Or puff pastry with cheese and apples and pecans?

What do you like to do with pecans?

I toast them in butter and spices - garlic salt, cayenne, cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar.

Yummy in salad! 

I put plain toasted ones into trail mix.

We put pecans in granola and crumbly toppings for desserts and in quick breads. 

I crush them and make crusts for cheesecake or tarts.

Crushed ones are also yummy as a lower-carb breading as a pp said.

• Like 2

Do a sweet and spicy candied pecan to nibble on while traveling?

Pecan crusted chicken or fish is yummy.

Mexican wedding cookies use about a cup of pecans IIRC. The base cookie isn't very sweet. You can barely dust them in powdered sugar if you prefer. There's a pecan crescent that's not very sweet. Good for dipping in coffee.

Pecan and date balls--ground up together like a Lara bar if you've had those.

• Like 2

They were a sanity mainstay during my homeschooling years:  a small bowlful of raw pecans tossed with a few choc chips got me patiently through many a spelling test.  :001_cool:

I know that's not exactly what you were looking for, but if you have pecans that have to be eaten, it's not a bad way to choke them down.   LOL!

• Like 4

I freeze them to keep the oils from going rancid too, then I throw them from the freezer into various things.

One thing I like is to fry them in a pan with just a little sugar (which melts and coats them) and then use them in salads. I particularly enjoy dark lettuce tossed with chopped apple and pecans with a maple & vinaigrette dressing, with perhaps a few dried cranberries thrown on top too. Pecans are fabulous in Apple Waldorf salads too. (Basically chopped apple, celery, mayo & nuts.) I use them at the nut-of-choice in various cookie and cake recipes. Since you don't have an oven, you can use them in and onto for fancy maple-pecan pancakes. I often use them with sweet flavored things, but as someone already mentioned, ground pecans make a great coating for fish.