Menu

Is this a male or female name?

Reefgazer

I would expect to see a woman, but I heard once of a culture where names ending on an A are considered male.

In Sri Lanka you find plenty of names ending in A for boys but the ending is not exclusively masculine, there are girl names that also end in A.

I would expect to see a woman, but I heard once of a culture where names ending on an A are considered male.

I expected Niksa to be female when my older son was offered his first babysitting job, but he turned out to be a little boy who needed a positive (teenaged) male role model.

Could you invite a trusted male friend over for coffee or something while the freecycler is there?

• Like 5

Thanks, guys.  I've got a Freecycle person coming when DH isn't home and I feel less comfortable with an unknown woman in my house than an unknown man.  I am giving away a bed, so it's not something I can easily drag outside for viewing.

What lecture would you give your teenage DD about allowing strangers into the home without another capable adult present?  

Give yourself that lecture now.  

• Like 14

female?  (This excellent guess is based on my knowledge of absolutely nothing and a personal bias toward preferring names that end in a for girls)

Yes, this is my guess as well and for the same reason.

ETA: Oh my, just finished reading the thread. Um, I have nothing to add, though. I hope things work out ok.

OK, several of you have made a good point about not letting someone in; that was dumb of me to even consider it.  DH says he will haul the bed out onto the porch before he leaves for work and cover it in plastic.  I didn't want it outside because it is in really decent shape, but outside for a few hours covered in plastic should be OK. 

• Like 5

When I'm in doubt about a name, I just google e.g. "rakia baby name". First result:

http://www.allhebrewnames.com/hebnames/en/name_details.seam?nameID=17510&cid=5512

Means sky, can be male or female. The next result (from babycenter) says it's a female name but doesn't know the origin/meaning.

ETA: I put "baby" in my search because most people googling for name genders/origins/meanings are looking for a name for their baby, so that tends to be the easiest way to find sites addressing those issues. I don't expect this Rakia to be a baby, lol.

OK, several of you have made a good point about not letting someone in; that was dumb of me to even consider it.  DH says he will haul the bed out onto the porch before he leaves for work and cover it in plastic.  I didn't want it outside because it is in really decent shape, but outside for a few hours covered in plastic should be OK. 

I would not only do that, but have a friend come over who talks on her cell phone *the whole time the buyers are there) to someone else who could alert police if necessary. That would be the only way that I can think of to prevent a criminal act if it enters the other person's mind to do it. One woman and her kids is easy pickings. Expect the best; plan for the worst. (I've been assaulted before, so learned to be careful.) 

• Like 1