Menu

BiblioPlan and CC

Guest Runak6

Guest Runak6

This will be my first year homeschooling. My oldest is 1st grade and we have chosen to use the BiblioPlan curriculum, however the only homeschool association near us with similar values, approaches, etc is a CC group and I am supposed to also purchase the CC Foundations guide in order for my child to be on the same "page" as her peers in the group.

Can someone please offer suggestions or examples of how to most effectively and wisely supplant the BP curriculum with the CC portion? I do not want to base my homeschool situation on CC, but like I said, it's "necessary" in order for my child to be a part of this group. Our options for HAs are quite limited as it is.

Thank you for any and all advice/suggestions/encouragement re: above question!

I'm not familiar with BiblioPlan, but this will be our 4th year in CC. We use it as an add-on to our homeschool - I love the memory work, and the community it gives us. You can use CC as your main curriculum (aside from math and LA), but for us it's worked just fine as an extra, doing 20 minutes of CC memory review a day at home, and enjoying the classroom experience and friendships on our CC day.

• Like 1

I did the full cycle of CC with oldest. I wouldn't bother buying the whole Foundations guidebook. I'd just buy the little cards for the year you're working on and use those for your review and learning. They are constantly updating (and therefore reselling) the guidebook (mostly for small editorial changes), and I hardly ever used it. The little cards were cheaper, we used and still use them to supplement with, and you can buy them year by year (not potentially be stuck with an "outdated" big book when CC decides to change theirs at beginning of another cycle).

You don't even "have to" purchase anything else if you don't want to---other than paying your tuition.

momacacia, I'm pretty sure CC requires purchase of the Foundations guidebook.

Runak 6, if you could find one used that might not be a bad idea.  Also, there's an app for cycle one for around $15 that might be a convenient way to use the memory work at home, or the cards as momacacia said.  Either way, I think you're still required to own a guide. 

As far as using with BP - I've never used BP, but when I looked at it last I thought it was really neat that it has added CC timeline card numbers as a reference to it's materials.  That said, with a first grader, I think CC and BP is more than you need.  Secondly, cycle 1 is not truly an "ancient history" cycle.  It's more of a "world civilizations" cycle and extremely difficult to line up with other materials.  If you don't want your homeschool to be based on CC materials then just let the memory work be memory work, use what you want at home, and let her make her own connections along the way.  Buying the guide doesn't obligate you to center your work at home around the memory work, and not really necessary to participate in the group.  I would be very surprised if everyone in a CC campus was centering everything they do at home around CC subjects.  Additionally, the guide is just the printed version of the memory work plus information about the other components (experiments, fine arts, etc. for each cycle).  It does not flesh out the memory work for you at all. 

• Like 1