Menu

Does anyone else have a hard time using the library?

3 ladybugs

I am using MP 2nd grade enrichment this year. I started school a month before the public schools in my area. I am expecting to purchase books during the holidays as I know that the library is likely to have those checked out. But today I had a list of about 10 books and walked out with just 2. :( One hadn't been checked out since 2004, another was checked out and not due till September. That book that was checked out made 2 other book not needed. Then I checked out 2 books and a third no one could find and it was recently checked out. 

Is this par for the coarse? Seems sad. :(

I love our library. Majority of the time they have the books we need and if not the ILL can get them for us. But it always takes hold request, I can never walk in and expect to find the exact book at my branch versus within the county system. Luckily they have a drive thru for hold pick which I also love.

• Like 1

Our library is like that too. I have access to two libraries. I print out my MP book list and go through the entire thing using both libraries' online catalog. I mark which library has each book. The books that aren't available at either library go on a list that I carry with me to every Half Price Books store I see. I do this all summer long. I usually buy a few used from Amazon. I buy the holiday ones new from Amazon. It's quite the process! But we enjoyed the Enrichment (K) last year so much that I'm putting out the effort to do it again this year (1st). I'd love, love, love to just buy them from MP, but there's no way with that price.

I never, ever, never rely on the library for scheduled books. Ever. 

Tried it and was burned. I cannot count on our library to have the book on hand, and ILL is about 10% successful for books with substance. Now if I wanted to check out garbage I would be assured to have the book the next day. (NOTE: this is not a reflection on our librarians as they are wonderful people. We just have crumbs for choices.) 

I am looking at a BF guide book list where I have penciled in book numbers (ex: J973 KJE) where I found the books about 10 years ago. They are now gone to make room for crud. 

Not in the system AT ALL. GONE

I put everything on hold ahead of time so I can have it on time. My local library has an okay selection, but rarely has a specific book that I want. However, the county system is amazing and almost always has the books I need. The county shares books for holds, and transports them to my local library so it's really easy.

If I just tried to walk into the local library with a list, I'd never get the books I needed. Does your county have a holds system?

• Like 4

I have a love/hate relationship with the library. The one we go to is pretty small, but it pulls from 64 other libraries for inter-library loan. I love that. I hate that there is no rhyme nor reason for how long it takes the books to come in AND that I have only 48 hours to pick them up. If I have multiple books on hold, I'm making several trips to the library. For the gas I spend in going there (I'm rural), I figure I might as well just buy the books!

I use the library for most of our books, but I have a really great library setup. It's an excellent system with easy to manage online searching, holds, and alerts. I can set a hold way in advance and then pause it if it's coming too early, while still keeping my place. (Have to be on top of things, though.)

We also have a week to pick up holds and I live two minutes from the library.

That said, I went through SOTW 2 and searched all the recommended books at the library and the success rate was about 50% max. Depends on the subject. For me, that's enough this year and the library has a lot of good options, so I work with the variety. I can see needing to purchase more specifics as kids get into later grades.

We love our local library and are there several times a week.

That said, I cannot use it for scheduled school reading.  Too stressful, the worry of "will it be in" or "can I put it on hold soon enough."  I have better luck just buying the books I need and then turning around at the end and selling them as a lot (ie. "MP grade 2 literature lot" or whatever...)

When we were heavy library users I used their website extensively from home. From there I could see which books they did and didn't have, put holds on the ones I needed, and request the books they didn't have from other libraries. I'd do this at least 2-3 weeks before we'd need them for school. Then I could walk in armed with the precise call numbers of each book which made them a cinch to find, and pick up the rest from the holds shelf.

Now we're heavy book buyers, and our living room looks like a library. :001_cool:

• Like 1

Generally, I can get most things from the library, but I have three counties' systems at my disposal, plus e-books/audio books from the Free Library of Philadelphia, plus my local branch will happily order from the rest of the state for me. So chances are high that I can find what I need, but I do occasionally have to buy something.

I am told that my county library system is one of the best in our state and I still can't expect to walk into my local branch and grab a specific book off of the shelf. I do have good luck with reserving specific books a week or two ahead of time and then substituting as needed. For example, when I was looking for the Ruth Heller books to introduce grammar concepts our local branch only had one and two others were available from other branches. However, when I went to the nonfiction section to get the one book they did have I found half a dozen books from two other series that taught the same concepts in a similar manner. If I need a very specific book that they don't own for some reason I can request that they buy it or use interlibrary loan. However, it is often easier to simply find another book on the same topic. For books that they have a long waiting list for I will just juggle around the order we cover stuff if need be based on when I can get a certain book. However, we are pretty laid back in our exact schedule as there is always a rabbit trail to explore in the meantime and we school mostly year round taking breaks when we want or need them so we don't have to get something covered at an exact time as long as we get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been helping the library update their catalog a bit recently, lol. This year so far (2015), I've found several books that according to the catalog were 'available' and in reality were missing. Once they're marked as 'missing', the library will consider them 'gone' if they've not been found within 3 or so months of being 'missing'.

What frustrates me if it's a book that's part of a series, and it's a recent book (less than 5 years old or w/e). Our library system has a tendency to not want to replace a missing copy if their vendor doesn't carry it anymore, even if you could still easily buy it from Amazon or the publisher's website. They just suggest ordering it through interlibrary loan. Of course, I could do that, but there are like 30 libraries in our system... would it be that hard to just replace a missing copy that's part of a series? It's not like they can't afford to replace it... they've been happily buying almost every purchase request I've made. Especially weird when they've got more than one set of the series with the same book missing from both sets. 

I have done different things at different times and at different libraries. I have gone through periods of not using the library at all.

I live just over a mile from one of the "best" libraries in the world. It is NOT best for all things!!!!! I cannot depend on receiving ILL there and bringing ILL back is almost certain not to get logged back in. And when ANYTHING is going on from construction to an event outside, you can depend on responses so illogical you could never imagine them.

I have found a smaller nearby branch library to place in system holds.

And I can travel by train to a neighboring small city to pick up ILL if I want to go to that trouble, but who does, right?

I have 3 cards that I can use for ebooks. The "best" library has an awesome ebook collection and will order ebooks.

The "best" library does have some good stuff on the shelves, if I need a topic, but can be flexible about any book on the topic.

Right now I am using the library a lot. Last year, not at all except for ebooks.

The OP should definitely make use of the libraries online catalog and inter-library loan services. You may also be able to make requests for library purchases. Our library will also send requested books to our homes for a $1 fee. Libraries have lots of services that many people aren't aware of. We have a great library system but if I just walked in off the street without having done a little work ahead of time, I'd end up very unsatisfied.

Library systems vary greatly over the country. We live in a terrible one right now. Sigh.

When we lived outside of Boston, I could have done Sonlight with the library.

Our current library only lets you put 3 books on hold at a time and they may take a month or more (it has taken up to 6 months - or even just languished until I canceled it) if the book is currently on the shelf of a library. Interlibrary loan? I don't think so.

Emily

I never, ever, never rely on the library for scheduled books. Ever. 

Tried it and was burned. I cannot count on our library to have the book on hand, and ILL is about 10% successful for books with substance. Now if I wanted to check out garbage I would be assured to have the book the next day. (NOTE: this is not a reflection on our librarians as they are wonderful people. We just have crumbs for choices.) 

I am looking at a BF guide book list where I have penciled in book numbers (ex: J973 KJE) where I found the books about 10 years ago. They are now gone to make room for crud. 

Not in the system AT ALL. GONE

Some of the libraries we've used intentionally bought paperbacks, knowing that a book would only last a few years.  

Ask the librarians how to request a book be purchased, then use it to request books that you think should be in the system.  Even if they cannot act on it right away, they may be able to use that info to support purchases in the future.

Unfortunately, libraries tend to respond to what does get checked out.  The latest princess/fairy/robot/movie tie-in will probably be checked out many more times than a classic book that there are no Happy Meal toys to associate with it.

I've also been known to check out books, just to improve their circulation stats.

• Like 3

Another thing I've seen library systems going to is a "floating collection."  This means that when a book is returned, it stays at that branch and doesn't get sent back to a "home" branch.  The idea is that a branch's collection will start to reflect the interests of the patrons who use it as they return the books they read.  It also evidently saves the library a lot of money on the cost of transporting books around.  They move books in response to an actual hold request, without an extra trip to a branch where no one checked it out.  This makes it more important to use online catalogs to find the books you are going to want.

If your library account lets you make lists, this can be helpful.  Then you can identify the books that you are going to want and then request them off of the list when you actually need them.

You might also see if the system has a feature to let you search by call number or search "nearby items on shelf".  This later feature will let you go up and down the call numbers from a book you locate.  You can often find other books in the system that would be good resources.

One feature of online catalogs that drives me batty is the use of overly specific subject headings that may only refer to one or two books.  This really defeats the purpose of the subject heading, which was to collect together books on a similar topic.  I used to catalog books for a small library.  We used a subject heading listing and a key to determine call numbers.  Now books are typically cataloged as part of the publication process, but it seems like they no longer use the more general subject headings.   It makes it so much harder to find related books that you don't already know exist.

Sounds like you need access to a larger library. If you are within an hour's drive or so to a large city with multiple library branches, I would look into paying an annual out-of-district fee to use their resources. We pay $50 a year to use St. Louis County Libraries. They have multiple copies of most of their books. I can request books via the internet, they put them in a pile for me and then I just run in and check them out. I can renew online. If no one else has my books on hold, I can max out my renewals right after checking them out. For example, I checked out books last week. I came home and immediately maxed out my renewals (five times at two weeks each) via the internet. They are mine until mid-November now.

All libraries are different, of course...but, it might be worth looking into.

Our library doesn't have about half of what I need.  I request the materials through library loan a few weeks before I need them; that increases my chances of getting what I need, gives me time to rework my plans if I can't get the materials, and saves me futile trips to the library.

We have a teeny tiny library and if I had to rely on ONLY that library, I would never find what I needed.  Fortunately, it is part of a larger library system.  Still, that helps me find only a portion of what I need.  Fortunately, they can place Interlibrary Loans for libraries out of state (including the Library of Congress) and that USUALLY resolves any books I might need but can't otherwise get locally.  The downside is the librarian will only place a max of 3 ILL requests and it can take up to a month for those books to come in.  

We are fortunate enough to live only a few minutes away from a different library that is part of a completely different library system.  So if I can't find it at my local library, or their system, I check the other library's region system and THEN I try ILL.  I can usually find what I need that way.

But boy, it sure can be a pain in the neck trying to track down which book goes to which system, which card to use, etc.  

• Like 1

Our library system is awesome.  I have a teacher card, no fines, and can check out for crazy long times.  I request everything online through the ILL (inter-library loan, actually a consortium) system, and most things come within 1-3 weeks.  Means I can't be picky about when I need things, but the stuff comes in at the right price (free).

Nope, no limits on our requests either.  The consortium libraries all pitch in and have the same software and pay for the vehicle that drives the books from library to library.  If your library is mailing books ($$), I can see the issue.  With our state's set-up and the consortium, it's like having access to ALL the libraries.  

If you want to make change, get on your library board.  Our area has had ballot issues to get more funding for the library, and that's part of why they can do so much.  I'm not a fan of higher taxes, but in our area with a lot of economic struggles, it's a great service to the community to have such a great library.  It's all driven by people though, people who are willing to get it on the ballot, get on the board, hire more innovative library managers, etc.

We have a pretty decent library set up. There are 5 in the area, and two are pretty good sized. I "order" them online to be placed on hold, I almost never go there looking for specific books as the ones I need are usually coming from 2-3 different libraries. I can pick up from any library and return to any library. The biggest one has a drive up window so I don't even have to get out of my car.  I have a 50-75% success rate for random titles. If I read a blog or article that says "you should be able to get this at your library", there's a pretty good chance they have or can get it. 

I don't have much problem getting the book I need for scheduled times. We're doing BFIAR with my preschooler this year and will just switch when we do which book if I can't get a particular one in. 

My library is not part of a bigger system. I live in a sliver of conservativeness in a blue state. A number of years ago voters decided to unplug from the larger county system in an attempt to control some of the taxes (so I have been told). We were not the only one to do this. So what we have at our library is what we get.

We did have a grandparent that got us a library card for $50 to a better library about 20 minutes away. It worked good when my son had a class at that library, but now that class is gone and I think our money could be better spent elsewhere.

My local library is pitiful. I only use them for titles that I know are not popular, and reserve them in advance. I buy all the rest, and am not shy about getting used books. Most of the time they are in great shape and are anywhere from 10%-50% of the original price. You might want to try that, especially for titles that are going to take awhile to come in. It takes some advanced planning, but you don't have to buy all the books at once.

Our library system is awesome.  I have a teacher card, no fines, and can check out for crazy long times.  I request everything online through the ILL (inter-library loan, actually a consortium) system, and most things come within 1-3 weeks.  Means I can't be picky about when I need things, but the stuff comes in at the right price (free).

Nope, no limits on our requests either.  The consortium libraries all pitch in and have the same software and pay for the vehicle that drives the books from library to library.  If your library is mailing books ($$), I can see the issue.  With our state's set-up and the consortium, it's like having access to ALL the libraries.  

If you want to make change, get on your library board.  Our area has had ballot issues to get more funding for the library, and that's part of why they can do so much.  I'm not a fan of higher taxes, but in our area with a lot of economic struggles, it's a great service to the community to have such a great library.  It's all driven by people though, people who are willing to get it on the ballot, get on the board, hire more innovative library managers, etc.

While I feel as though we have a fairly decent library system, I totally envy yours, Elizabeth, lol!  No fines?  Super long check out times?  No limits on ILL?  No juggling 50+ books between two different library systems as well as out of state ILL?  J.E.A.L.O.U.S.

*sigh*

There's a library system north of us that my friend is part of...they have to pay, I think a $3? fee every time they request an ILL book.  I would shrivel up and die...lol.  

I'm going to ask at our library if there's such a thing in our system as teacher cards.  I would think they would have suggested it already, so I'm betting not.  They refer to us as "Power Users".  ;-)  

When we lived in RI, we were part of the CLAN system...which pretty much covered the entire state.  I very rarely had difficulty getting books and never needed to use out of state ILL.  I miss that system.  

Our library system is decent since you can request books from several libraries in the state and they do not take to long to get in. They also have ILL and that is free. I was a little disappointed that one audiobook I requested through ILL got cancelled. Every other one in the series so far has been found in other libraries so I am not sure why they said that one could not be found. I am not sure if I should skip it and get the next one or what. Usually with ILL I can find just about anything but it can take a while to get in.

Our library catalog has a My Lists feature. I make a list of books I want to check out for each unit/time period throughout the year. Then several weeks before we'll be wanting those books I go to My List, select all, and put them on hold. Then I just pick up the holds. Ours is a 5 county library system, I'd never expect the book I want to be in the particular building I'm visiting so I always search online and put on hold first. Our library is also really good about purchase requests, as long as the item is in print they usually buy them.

We have a pretty decent library set up. There are 5 in the area, and two are pretty good sized. I "order" them online to be placed on hold, I almost never go there looking for specific books as the ones I need are usually coming from 2-3 different libraries. I can pick up from any library and return to any library. The biggest one has a drive up window so I don't even have to get out of my car.

What I WOULD NOT GIVE to have a drive-up window at my library! Mother-of-toddler's dream come true!!!

• Like 2

I was always sceptical of the library, they never seemed to have much, but I began using it again last year and it is SO much better. Online catalogues and being able to put items on hold, even items already at that library on the shelf so the librarians go and collect it for you, AMAZING. My biggest issue with not wanting to use the library was the idea of going through the shelves myself with toddlers in tow trying to find specific books. Now I just reserve them online and pick them up on shopping day (7 business day collection window)

I still buy a lot of books, but for kids books which will only be read once, topical nonfiction which we don't specifically want at home, and things like large collections of classic books like enid blyton, the library is great. No late fees, three week loans.... I don't know about ILL though, I've never gone looking for a specific needed title, only general topics/authors.

Our local libraries are tiny. Using inter library loan really helps. I always request 2 weeks in advance. We use the library a lot! I'm boycotting the library across the street and go to one in the next city which adds some time to the experience.

Ugh. The libraries in HI are pathetic. I loved the Seattle library system and could find most of what I wanted there. My mom took the kids to our local library here and came back with books that were held together with chewing gum and love. I buy everything from Amazon now. At least I know I can use it with DS too.

• Like 1