Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinsa

What are you hearing locally about the Ashley Madison fallout?

I'm hearing that three San Antonio police officers and a SA public works employee have been busted by using the government computers to do their dirty work on Ashley Madison.

I'm also hearing about military members who are being busted by using the government computers, though I'm not sure how much, if any, is local to San Antonio.  But given how many military bases are in and around San Antonio, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's hitting close to home.

So, what are you hearing locally?

Absolutely nothing.

Same here.

I'm not exactly in touch with local news, but I glanced at some local news sites after seeing this thread, and found nothing.

I do listen to local news, but I haven't heard anything about local celebs or people I would know.

P.S. When Arctic Mom suggested we might search for our DH's names, I *did* think of someone I know, not DH, whom I have zero difficulty imagining being a subscriber to that site. I did have a fleeting urge to see if he might have been revealed.

San Diego apparently has over 91,000 people on there. Government on all levels from city up to senate, military, police, etc.

I'm listenening to local talk radio and they're talking about it now. Not about who's been on it, but the principle of the whole hacking thing. Apparently the hacker had a problem with AM the company (I'm just repeating what I heard) and now all these "innocent" people are hurt in the fall-out. So, was it right that they outed all these people who weren't doing anything illegal?

I have no real opinion on this. Just answering the OP's question.

I'm listenening to local talk radio and they're talking about it now. Not about who's been on it, but the principle of the whole hacking thing. Apparently the hacker had a problem with AM the company (I'm just repeating what I heard) and now all these "innocent" people are hurt in the fall-out. So, was it right that they outed all these people who weren't doing anything illegal?

Interesting.  A friend commented on a Matt Walsh post on FB (specifically about JD) so it showed up in my news feed.  Her comment and the one directly below hers were visible on my feed.  The one that wasn't hers caught my attention.  It was some guy saying Josh was a *victim* and how dare Matt Walsh say he was wrong about JD previously and that he is in fact, essentially, scum after all (oh, my gosh... I agree with one of Matt Walsh's opinions?!?!?!).  Yes, according to this guy, what Josh and all the other men on AM did was perfectly okay and how dare this hacker expose these innocent people.  I had to wonder if he (the commenter) was one of the 32 million.

Innocent people? When ya play with fire...

Seriously though, I do have concerns about internet extortion, and I think we all need to pay attention to how this plays out. I can't feel sorry for the participants in this case. But what's the next thing? Hackers breaking into secure medical files and asking for bribes to not release private info? Employment records? It's a slippery slope. I can say I think the AM members got what was coming to them, but it would be prudent to consider the bigger picture. What consequences, if any, are the hackers facing? This is something I'd like to learn more about.

A local TV station is reporting that there were several sc.gov email addresses used to access the site. It specifically mentions users from two different counties, DHEC, and the state Department of Education. It also mentions an employee who used to work for the solicitor's office, but no longer does, saying there is no action to be taken since he hasn't worked there for over a year now. 

I haven't heard anything locally. I just heard the Josh Duggar thing and another friend posted a Matt Walsh post. I did not realize so many people used that site. Was it really 30 million? Was it all from our country or is it many countries? It is pretty sick how many used the site. I do not think the people who used that site are victims. They are the ones that chose to use a service to cheat. I do think it can set a bad president though and be used in cases where people are not doing something so immoral.

nothing, but I don't listen to local news.

Same. Well, I get the local NPR affiliate news but they haven't said anything. Don't watch the news and don't get the local paper.

I haven't heard anything locally. I just heard the Josh Duggar thing and another friend posted a Matt Walsh post. I did not realize so many people used that site. Was it really 30 million? Was it all from our country or is it many countries? It is pretty sick how many used the site. I do not think the people who used that site are victims. They are the ones that chose to use a service to cheat. I do think it can set a bad president though and be used in cases where people are not doing something so immoral.

From what I understand about the site, it is worldwide.  And certain segments of the globe are more frequent users than others.

Interesting.  A friend commented on a Matt Walsh post on FB (specifically about JD) so it showed up in my news feed.  Her comment and the one directly below hers were visible on my feed.  The one that wasn't hers caught my attention.  It was some guy saying Josh was a *victim* and how dare Matt Walsh say he was wrong about JD previously and that he is in fact, essentially, scum after all (oh, my gosh... I agree with one of Matt Walsh's opinions?!?!?!).  Yes, according to this guy, what Josh and all the other men on AM did was perfectly okay and how dare this hacker expose these innocent people.  I had to wonder if he (the commenter) was one of the 32 million.

There are a lot of people who don't consider extra-marital relationships to be wrong at all.  (I don't agree with them, btw.)  It really doesn't surprise me that people would consider those outed to be 'victims.'    It bothers me, but  doesn't surprise me. 

How much do people pay for subscriptions? I don't want to visit the website to see but didn't realize until the Josh news broke that all these people pay $$$ to cheat. It's just so icky. The site's existence, the hackers' leak, Josh Duggar... Barf.

How much do people pay for subscriptions? I don't want to visit the website to see but didn't realize until the Josh news broke that all these people pay $$$ to cheat. It's just so icky. The site's existence, the hackers' leak, Josh Duggar... Barf.

Yeah, seriously. I mean, I think Tinder is free. These Ashley Madison people are not frugal. That's what bothers me most!

(I'm totally kidding.:D)

Stupid things, like radio hosts breaking the news on air that someone's husband had an AM account.  To that someone.

I personally have no  sympathy/empathy for anyone exposed in this scandal.

You want to sleep with more than one person ? Negotiate that with your spouse before you sleep with someone else.

You want to move on ? Negotiate that with your spouse before you move on.

If you can't treat a spouse with honesty and decency, them i don't give a flying fig about you being exposed.  Sow. Reap.

From what I understand about the site, it is worldwide. 

I did see a mention that about 1,200 of the addresses had .sa as the extension, which would supposedly indicate Saudi Arabia... where adultery = death. 

In those cases, the punishment is worse than the crime.

Oh, and that my city has the third largest number of AM users. What a thing to be known for!

Look on the bright side. At least it's not first or second!

(I wonder where those are?)

Nothing locally. 

And all the information hasn't been released yet, so it's going to take time before any city etc can claim first or second or whatever.  This is going to come in waves.  They have a lot of information and it is getting dumped in chunks.

This has been out there in the media (Gawker and on my twitter feed, which is news heavy) since last week. A lot of people have been wriggling on the hood waiting to see if it was really going to happen. AM spokepeople were saying they had not been hacked, then they were saying it was true and the hacking had happened.

And FTR, I don't think doxing anyone is ok. And I don't like that this group decided that the service that AM provides is morally wrong so they had the right to do this to the users.  They have no right to do that to anyone.  I understand this is not being done to a sympathetic group, I don't exactly have a lot of sympathy for them. But, neither do I think what they have done is all that wrong, especially if they are just living their lives.  To "out' someone who has taken a public stance and taken public action, made a living sitting in judgement of others..yeah, that feels different. But I don't think it is ok to dox anyone even then.  It can really wreak havoc with someone's life.

And the fact that it has led to one suicide, well, that is just horrible.

I have no real opinion on this. Just answering the OP's question.

Putting aside the "was it right to expose them" question, most companies have rules about what you can and can not do with a company email; I assume that goes double for government and military folks.  They are at minimum breaking company rules, and, especially in the case of the latter two, may actually be breaking laws, if they are using their work emails.  

So far, just some insensitive (and widely reported) comments by an LA divorce attorney saying this dump will be "like Christmas in September" for his business.

Bill

I had heard absolutely nothing locally about it, so I had to go google.  I live in a major metro and 2 of our area's ritziest and more prestigious suburbs have the highest membership.  I find that kind of amusing.  Maybe they're the only ones who can afford it!

how do you even search names?  I only see that you can use some downloaded search engine to search IP Addresses.

I do listen to local news, but I haven't heard anything about local celebs or people I would know.

P.S. When Arctic Mom suggested we might search for our DH's names, I *did* think of someone I know, not DH, whom I have zero difficulty imagining being a subscriber to that site. I did have a fleeting urge to see if he might have been revealed.

Nothing locally. 

And all the information hasn't been released yet, so it's going to take time before any city etc can claim first or second or whatever.  This is going to come in waves.  They have a lot of information and it is getting dumped in chunks.

This has been out there in the media (Gawker and on my twitter feed, which is news heavy) since last week. A lot of people have been wriggling on the hood waiting to see if it was really going to happen. AM spokepeople were saying they had not been hacked, then they were saying it was true and the hacking had happened.

And FTR, I don't think doxing anyone is ok. And I don't like that this group decided that the service that AM provides is morally wrong so they had the right to do this to the users.  They have no right to do that to anyone.  I understand this is not being done to a sympathetic group, I don't exactly have a lot of sympathy for them. But, neither do I think what they have done is all that wrong, especially if they are just living their lives.  To "out' someone who has taken a public stance and taken public action, made a living sitting in judgement of others..yeah, that feels different. But I don't think it is ok to dox anyone even then.  It can really wreak havoc with someone's life.

And the fact that it has led to one suicide, well, that is just horrible.

You are right about the doxxing, I know you are. I just can't feel badly about this particular group of people. Not only did they lie and cheat, but they have been so very stupid. Stupid, cheating liars ? I just can't bring myself to care. What do people think is going to happen when they lie and cheat ? That havoc won't be wreaked on someone's life ? Many people's lives ? Their own life ?

I don't think this is the demographic that will make people sit up and take notice of how bad it is to dox someone. For every cheater, there's someone who's been cheated on, and making the case to that audience that these people did nothing wrong to deserve exposure isn't going to work. 

If I was on that list, I'd be trying to redeem myself quick smart by coming clean to the other person involved, not bewailing the unfairness of exposure, even if that exposure is unfair, kwim ?

I had heard absolutely nothing locally about it, so I had to go google.  I live in a major metro and 2 of our area's ritziest and more prestigious suburbs have the highest membership.  I find that kind of amusing.  Maybe they're the only ones who can afford it!

A sexologist (seriously) on the radio this morning said she though Australians had joined up at such high numbers because we are too cheap to pay for brothels, and that people who joined thought the fee was a small price to pay for free sex.

Ugh.

So far, just some insensitive (and widely reported) comments by an LA divorce attorney saying this dump will be "like Christmas in September" for his business.

Bill

On a real estate forum I'm on several agents were discussing the soon to be uptick in divorce listings. One fella said his phone had already begun to ring.

Sigh...

Years from now I wonder if we'll see this spike in divorces following this. Kind of like a baby boom that happens after a natural disaster.

And I don't think that's a bad thing. If a person is being cheated on, they deserve to know, and they can do with that knowledge what they want. People deserve to know that they're being cheated on. People don't deserve to cheat with no consequences.

I rarely agree with Matt Walsh but I'll quote (from memory) him here: If you don't want to be exposed for being on a cheating website, don't sign up for a cheating website.

Easy peasy. It's not hard not to cheat. You just... don't do it. You know what's hard? Cheating. There's a lot of extra work and worry and expense involved in cheating. The lying, sneaking around, covering your tracks, stressing about being caught. It sounds exhausting. :svengo:

You are right about the doxxing, I know you are. I just can't feel badly about this particular group of people. Not only did they lie and cheat, but they have been so very stupid. Stupid, cheating liars ? I just can't bring myself to care. What do people think is going to happen when they lie and cheat ? That havoc won't be wreaked on someone's life ? Many people's lives ? Their own life ?

I don't think this is the demographic that will make people sit up and take notice of how bad it is to dox someone. For every cheater, there's someone who's been cheated on, and making the case to that audience that these people did nothing wrong to deserve exposure isn't going to work. 

If I was on that list, I'd be trying to redeem myself quick smart by coming clean to the other person involved, not bewailing the unfairness of exposure, even if that exposure is unfair, kwim ?

I know. And I want to agree with you, but I can't help but think if this group felt like they could do this to AM users, what happens if they don't like homeschoolers or LGBT people etc?  If AM users are fine, then who else is fine. When does it stop being entertaining to us? Who else is on their list off groups they don't like? OK Cupid users? Women who have prescription birth control? If they doxxed everyone who uses Rainbow Resources it would make life very difficult for a lot of us.

And I am a bit sensitive b/c doxxing is so often done to women who stand up for themselves, or just, you know, speak in public.

I know. And I want to agree with you, but I can't help but think if this group felt like they could do this to AM users, what happens if they don't like homeschoolers or LGBT people etc?  If AM users are fine, then who else is fine. When does it stop being entertaining to us? Who else is on their list off groups they don't like? OK Cupid users? Women who have prescription birth control? If they doxxed everyone who uses Rainbow Resources it would make life very difficult for a lot of us.

And I am a bit sensitive b/c doxxing is so often done to women who stand up for themselves, or just, you know, speak in public.

I know. I take your point. I do. I know it's wrong to be a digital vigilante. I just can't  feel the wrongness in this case.

If they doxxed everyone who uses Rainbow Resources it would make life very difficult for a lot of us.

How?  I assume people know that homeschoolers buy things from homeschool curriculum providers.  Identity theft is the only thing I can come up with.  But you definitely don't have to be a doxxed to have that happen.

I think the difference here is that the cheated on spouses have a right to know, because not knowing could quite literally end up a death sentence if their husband is bringing home diseases. That's why I'm kind of okay with this info going public. 

I know. And I want to agree with you, but I can't help but think if this group felt like they could do this to AM users, what happens if they don't like homeschoolers or LGBT people etc? If AM users are fine, then who else is fine. When does it stop being entertaining to us? Who else is on their list off groups they don't like? OK Cupid users? Women who have prescription birth control? If they doxxed everyone who uses Rainbow Resources it would make life very difficult for a lot of us.

Yes. I got a cold chill thinking of the implications. I could totally see a group who has decided to play moral judge and jury attempt to do the same thing by attacking say, Planned Parenthood, because they so strongly believed in 'justice.' Could you imagine? I easily can. I can imagine huge numbers of women who need that access to basic care (not just abortions!) go without because they are afraid they will be exposed. Women who were raped not getting treatment or the morning after pill because they are too scared. Truly terrifying.

And honestly, I feel like you don't have to have sympathy for the cheaters themselves...but they most likely have families who will be irreparably harmed by this. And in so public a manner.

Yes. I got a cold chill thinking of the implications. I could totally see a group who has decided to play moral judge and jury attempt to do the same thing by attacking say, Planned Parenthood, because they so strongly believed in 'justice.' Could you imagine? I easily can. I can imagine huge numbers of women who need that access to basic care (not just abortions!) go without because they are afraid they will be exposed. Women who were raped not getting treatment or the morning after pill because they are too scared. Truly terrifying.

And honestly, I feel like you don't have to have sympathy for the cheaters themselves...but they most likely have families who will be irreparably harmed by this. And in so public a manner.

Those people were harmed by the cheating, public or not. Just because they didn't know about it, doesn't mean they weren't harmed by it. They just didn't know, and couldn't begin to deal with it or heal from it.

Plus, it's been pointed out that with STDs, cheating is potentially life threatening.

ETA: The idea of Rainbow Resource being hacked is laughable. Except for credit card info, which is obviously something you never want leaked, what in the world would be troublesome about that? Obviously medical info would be horrible and I almost feel like a big leak is inevitable at some point in the future. :(

Those people were harmed by the cheating, public or not. Just because they didn't know about it, doesn't mean they weren't harmed by it. They just didn't know, and couldn't begin to deal with it or heal from it.

Plus, it's been pointed out that with STDs, cheating is potentially life threatening.

ETA: The idea of Rainbow Resource being hacked is laughable. Except for credit card info, which is obviously something you never want leaked, what in the world would be troublesome about that? Obviously medical info would be horrible and I almost feel like a big leak is inevitable at some point in the future. :(

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that the spouse/significant other has a right to know! But I just cannot get behind mass extortion/intimidation. Every single one of us has details on the web we wouldn't want to learn went public--medical details, credit card info, heck, even a history of the searches run from my devices! I have googled so many dodgy things just out of curiousity of things I encountered here in the hive😄

This group took a stand because they wanted AM closed down. What about the next group?

I think the difference here is that the cheated on spouses have a right to know, because not knowing could quite literally end up a death sentence if their husband is bringing home diseases. That's why I'm kind of okay with this info going public. 

Not only men used that site...Women could also use that site.  A quick google search says 70% of its customers were male, while 30% were female...Remember, also, not every man on that website is cheating.  Where else can you find a potential lonely woman (possibly married) who wants to get it on so easily?  If you get pass the fake profiles, it's like KA-CHING!!  So not only should women be looking for their husband/boyfriend, men should be looking for their wife/girlfriend.

In addition, just because the man signed up doesn't mean that he actually had an affair (depending on your definition of an affair).  AM uses fake women's profiles to lure men in (not enough actual women use the site).

I actually had a job where I had to pretend to be some hot, busty brunette online.  It was quite difficult to maintain the game, honestly.  Some men had been spending money for a year or more, just waiting for the woman on the other end to meet up with him.  The money sucked and I kinda felt bad for the guy at times (which is why I quit, and no, it wasn't through AM, but a similar website many years ago).