Menu

When to transition from CLE math

My DD just completed CLE 600 series. I'm trying to decide whether to transition to Saxon now or just continue with CLE.

If I continue with CLE for 7th,will we be able to move onto Algebra 1 for 8th grade? CLE 800 says it prepares the student for geometry or business math. Does this mean that you can move from 700 to Algebra 1? I'm confused by this.

I'm wondering if this is the perfect time to move onto Saxon 8/7 (she has taken the placement test) to have a year to get used to the way Saxon teaches before going to Algebra 1.

I'm not sure I want to stick with CLE all the way through since the Sunrise edition doesn't continue past 8th grade (Algebra 1 says preliminary and I'm not sure what that means or when they will revise the other levels).

What other options are there for high school? I'm trying to plan ahead a bit and should have already ordered curriculum and have started my year. I'm so behind this year.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

We had this same issue.  Yes, I think you can move right from CLE 700 to Algebra 1.  I know many people have.

What we did instead was to go into MUS Pre-Algebra after completing CLE 600 levels.  I know many people think that MUS Pre-Algebra is too light, but I'm ok with a review year this year.  and there will be many who think MUS is too light all the way, but once again, it has worked for many others just fine.

I'm not ahead of where you are, but I have been (somewhat obsessively) doing research on the same issue. We will be finishing the 600s this school year.

I was pretty set on doing Saxon 8/7 next year. However.

Saxon 8/7 has scared me off. It reportedly takes a LONG time to do each day. It also spikes in difficulty during the last 30 lessons apparently.

So. Next year we will use 700. Might as well stick with what I *know* works while I still can. I am waiting for my order of CLE's topical booklets on fractions, geometry, and algebra arrive. They have a teaching sheet (and which lesson it comes from) for all those key topics. I will just give the ones in the 800s to make sure we have the key concepts done.

Then we will use Saxon Algebra 1.

• Like 2

I'm not looking forward to Saxon's layout, so I plan to switch after CLE 800 to Saxon algebra 1. Only 4 years of Saxon is better than 5,imo.

I've read success stories doing it either way, I just prefer to stick with CLE as long as possible because we love it here.

I have been in communication with CLE. Algebra I has been updated and is the updated Light Unit version. It is complete. It is going to be restructured into a textbook format at some point as well as Algebra II, but Algebra II has not been updated yet. They may go straight to the new textbook format instead of doing a light unit version for Algebra II. They are working on it now but do not yet have a release schedule for the updated Algebra II or the conversion from Light Unit to new textbook format for Algebra I.

If anyone is wondering whether to go through both 700 and 800, but timing is a concern, several posters have successfully accelerated those levels to complete both in one year. As I understand it, 800 has a lot of meat to it that posters who went that far found quite useful. Even though many switch away, I have read positive reviews of the updated Algebra I as well.

• Like 5

I am using CLE with ds, and he should finish 700 by next summer/early next year. From looking over the scope and sequence and looking at the sample pages, I believe that a student can go into Algebra 1 following CLE 700. That doesn't mean that every child should transition into Algebra 1 after it, though. Many will need to do another year simply for the brain development. More and more research is showing that pushing Algebra 1 to 8th grade is having negative effects on students. I am going to evaluate ds' heavily before I will have him move on to Algebra 1. He has a late birthday for his grade level, and even though he is a natural math student, I want to make sure the maturity is there to do extremely well in higher math. I did the same thing with my dd, and she scored very well on her entrance exams for college and was able to skip all the core math requirements at her school. She didn't do Algebra 1 until 9th grade and had only completed Alg 1, Geometry, and Alg 2 before taking the test. 

As far as transitioning to Saxon, I have a lot of opinions on that. I had not been exposed to Saxon until I was asked to teach it in a co-op setting a few years ago. I taught Math 7/6, Algebra II, and Advanced Math. Saxon has a much different approach to those higher level math problems than any other curricula I've ever seen. I had a student who had used Saxon math all the way through at home, and she was still confused by the Advanced math book. It was even more confusing for my students who hadn't used it for many years. If a person is going to use Saxon, I'd would say switch as soon as you know you want to use it, and don't allow your student to skip any problems. (The girl I mentioned had done that.)

I would never use Saxon with my own children, BTW. I do have a math degree, which I know gives me a huge advantage in the curricula I am able to consider. 

I used BJU for elementary and then CLE through 800 for dd. For high school I used Lial for Algebra 1, BJU for Geometry, and Lial again for Algebra 2. She did dual enrollment to complete her 4th math credit, but after finding out she didn't need the credit at her college, I wish I had done her 4th math at home and used that time for a different credit.

I've followed the same path with ds thus far and plan to use Lial's books. I didn't care for BJU Geometry, so I'll use something else there. I'm also a little concerned about the ACT/SAT being changed to follow Common Core instead of the traditional high school courses. I will be watching that and will supplement where needed. 

• Like 3

Following along with interest. We will find ourselves in this boat pretty soon as well. DD will finish CLE 600 by next summer/early fall -- but she will only be going into the 6th grade (newly 11). My tentative plan is to make the leap to Saxon 8/7 at that point, but I'm very unsure.

I am using CLE with ds, and he should finish 700 by next summer/early next year. From looking over the scope and sequence and looking at the sample pages, I believe that a student can go into Algebra 1 following CLE 700. That doesn't mean that every child should transition into Algebra 1 after it, though. Many will need to do another year simply for the brain development. More and more research is showing that pushing Algebra 1 to 8th grade is having negative effects on students. I am going to evaluate ds' heavily before I will have him move on to Algebra 1. He has a late birthday for his grade level, and even though he is a natural math student, I want to make sure the maturity is there to do extremely well in higher math. I did the same thing with my dd, and she scored very well on her entrance exams for college and was able to skip all the core math requirements at her school. She didn't do Algebra 1 until 9th grade and had only completed Alg 1, Geometry, and Alg 2 before taking the test. 

As far as transitioning to Saxon, I have a lot of opinions on that. I had not been exposed to Saxon until I was asked to teach it in a co-op setting a few years ago. I taught Math 7/6, Algebra II, and Advanced Math. Saxon has a much different approach to those higher level math problems than any other curricula I've ever seen. I had a student who had used Saxon math all the way through at home, and she was still confused by the Advanced math book. It was even more confusing for my students who hadn't used it for many years. If a person is going to use Saxon, I'd would say switch as soon as you know you want to use it, and don't allow your student to skip any problems. (The girl I mentioned had done that.)

I would never use Saxon with my own children, BTW. I do have a math degree, which I know gives me a huge advantage in the curricula I am able to consider. 

I used BJU for elementary and then CLE through 800 for dd. For high school I used Lial for Algebra 1, BJU for Geometry, and Lial again for Algebra 2. She did dual enrollment to complete her 4th math credit, but after finding out she didn't need the credit at her college, I wish I had done her 4th math at home and used that time for a different credit.

I've followed the same path with ds thus far and plan to use Lial's books. I didn't care for BJU Geometry, so I'll use something else there. I'm also a little concerned about the ACT/SAT being changed to follow Common Core instead of the traditional high school courses. I will be watching that and will supplement where needed. 

I appreciate the information you've shared here. When you say you plan to evaluate your son heavily before starting him in Algebra 1, what exactly will you look for? I also am concerned about letting my dd go too far too fast for her brain development, even though she's showing no signs of having any trouble understanding the math at this point (at the current rate she'll be ready for Algebra 1 in 7th). I considered doing Saxon 8/7 in 6th and following with Algebra 1/2 in 7th, but some people think that's overkill. And that still only gets us to Alg 1 in 8th. I'm just not sure how to tell whether she's "ready."

I have my doubts about Saxon being a great fit (she loves CLE) but even though I studied higher-level math in high school/college, math is my biggest weakness and I need something very straightforward. We will probably be looking to outsource after Alg 1.

Following along with interest. We will find ourselves in this boat pretty soon as well. DD will finish CLE 600 by next summer/early fall -- but she will only be going into the 6th grade (newly 11). My tentative plan is to make the leap to Saxon 8/7 at that point, but I'm very unsure.

I appreciate the information you've shared here. When you say you plan to evaluate your son heavily before starting him in Algebra 1, what exactly will you look for? I also am concerned about letting my dd go too far too fast for her brain development, even though she's showing no signs of having any trouble understanding the math at this point (at the current rate she'll be ready for Algebra 1 in 7th). I considered doing Saxon 8/7 in 6th and following with Algebra 1/2 in 7th, but some people think that's overkill. And that still only gets us to Alg 1 in 8th. I'm just not sure how to tell whether she's "ready."

I have my doubts about Saxon being a great fit (she loves CLE) but even though I studied higher-level math in high school/college, math is my biggest weakness and I need something very straightforward. We will probably be looking to outsource after Alg 1.

I'm going to be looking at several factors: 

Maturity: Is he ready to handle longer problems and the amount of work required to do higher level math? How is his problem solving/logical thinking/reasoning?

Math Skills: After he's completed CLE 700, I'm going to use the chapter tests in Lial's BCM as a test of his math skills. I love Lial's books, so it will be good to use before going into Lial's Beginning Algebra. 

Motivation: Does he want to move on to higher math? I think this really matters. 

I can't add much to a Saxon discussion because I hate Saxon. 

• Like 2

We had a different experience, because the only CLE we used was Algebra 1. We did like it. We went from that to Teaching Textbooks Algebra II. We had also used TT for pre-algebra. The switch back and forth was pretty effortless. Just another option. 

Ugh. I'm in the same boat. But I need to make a decision this week! We have completed 600. Dd is excited to try Saxon and I thought if we try that for 7th I would get a sense of whether or not we want to use it for Algebra. But I love CLE and don't really want to leave it! I wish I felt more confident that just 700 would prepare dd for Algebra.

Ugh. I'm in the same boat. But I need to make a decision this week! We have completed 600. Dd is excited to try Saxon and I thought if we try that for 7th I would get a sense of whether or not we want to use it for Algebra. But I love CLE and don't really want to leave it! I wish I felt more confident that just 700 would prepare dd for Algebra.

Can you borrow a Saxon book and just try out lessons for a couple of weeks or so, to see if she likes it?  Are there any homeschoolers in your area you could borrow it from?  Or a used book store you could buy it from and return it if it doesn't work out.  If it works well, then you can commit the funds to move on into Saxon.  The fact that she is excited about Saxon can be really great for motivation and enthusiasm.  Sometimes change can be good for that.

If it turns out to be a bad fit, you could easily switch back to CLE, and you could easily accelerate the lessons if you want her to make it through 700 and 800 in one year, especially if you are willing to do some lessons in the summer.  Cross out some review, do two lessons a day (new material from two lessons but only review from one lesson), skip the quizzes, etc.  If you plot it out on a calendar, it is quite doable.  You can even skip sections of 800 and just target the parts you feel she needs for moving into higher math.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the wonderful responses. I have decided to use CLE 700/800 and just let my DD go at her own pace. If she finishes them in one year or by the end of next Summer, then great. If not, then we will just keep moving at her own pace and start Algebra 1 whenever we may get there (definitely still by the start of her 9th grade year). When I get to that point, I will then decide what to use for Algebra 1. 

• Like 6

Brain pathways (neural networks) grow when the mind is challenged to function at multiple levels of cognitive challenge. It is not simply a mater of chronicle age causing the mind to go "poof" I'm ready for higher-order thought, but rather building the brain from early childhood to deal with appropriately challenging upper-order work that physically changes the brain.

Choosing to use a program with little or no cognitive challenges beyond low order work does not build those brain connections in the same fashion. Those children may not be ready for algebra, because their brains may not have been prepared with the prerequisite conditioning. It is not unlike physical exercise, the brain needs to be work if it is going to function near its highest capacity.

Bill

Brain pathways (neural networks) grow when the mind is challenged to function at multiple levels of cognitive challenge. It is not simply a mater of chronicle age causing the mind to go "poof" I'm ready for higher-order thought, but rather building the brain from early childhood to deal with appropriately challenging upper-order work that physically changes the brain.

Choosing to use a program with little or no cognitive challenges beyond low oder work does not build those brain connections, Those children may not be ready for algebra, because their brains may not have been prepared with the prerequisite conditioning. It is not unlike physical exercise, the brain needs to be work if it is going to function near its highest capacity.

Bill

This is not at all our experience with CLE. My dd used CLE for many years. It was the one program that seemed to work for her. Not all brains are alike and CLE certainly offers what is needed for some students. My theory is that it helps them achieve the automaticity that is necessary to progress to upper-order work. Using your analogy, it provides a certain type of exercise that some types of learners need. My dd is excelling in high school math and scores highly on standardized tests. I never expected this of her but I credit CLE.

• Like 5

Choosing to use a program with little or no cognitive challenges beyond low order work does not build those brain connections in the same fashion. Those children may not be ready for algebra, because their brains may not have been prepared with the prerequisite conditioning. It is not unlike physical exercise, the brain needs to be work if it is going to function near its highest capacity.

Bill

While I get this to a point, I was schooled in the days of traditional math in which the focus was learning processes and memorization. I have a math degree, so I don't feel that having a very solid, traditional math education in the elementary years did me any harm. I had a natural ability in math and often understood concepts without having to see them visually or by using manipulatives, and my ds' math abilities are very similar. 

Challenge in mathematical thinking can come in many areas of life, so it doesn't always have to be through a curricula that those pathways are developed. In fact, it might be better to put those challenges into real life settings and use curricula to solidify and improve speed of skills. 

• Like 2

While I get this to a point, I was schooled in the days of traditional math in which the focus was learning processes and memorization. I have a math degree, so I don't feel that having a very solid, traditional math education in the elementary years did me any harm. I had a natural ability in math and often understood concepts without having to see them visually or by using manipulatives, and my ds' math abilities are very similar. 

Challenge in mathematical thinking can come in many areas of life, so it doesn't always have to be through a curricula that those pathways are developed. In fact, it might be better to put those challenges into real life settings and use curricula to solidify and improve speed of skills. 

Using mapipulatives (or not) is the least of of it. If math programs are sorely lacking in logical exercises, creative problem solving, intriguing word problems, developing algebraic thinking, then children may not be prepared to do algebra in 8th Grade.

But the contention that algebra in 8th Grade is bad for students, as suggested up thread, it mainly dependent on what came before-hand in the educational process.

The brain does not grow if it is not stretched. One certainly hopes real-life experiences stretch the mind, but if a math program fails to challenge students I think it is a weak program. All easy work does not a strong mind make.

Bill

Whether a math program challenges students depends on the student & his or her abilities & capabilities.

Some students will be challenged (to tears) by some programs & others might be challenged by only a few.

Luckily, that's a topic for other threads, not this one.

Glad you have a plan, OP. The "when to transition from CLE" question is an on-going one for those who CLE has been the one program that worked well. Good luck!

• Like 6

Whether a math program challenges students depends on the student & his or her abilities & capabilities.

Not entirely true. Some sorts of work requires upper-level reasoning and others don't. When programs lack problems that require logic, reason, mutli-step analysis and the like, the upper cognitive parts of the mind don't get worked.

There are ways to reach all levels of students with appropriate challenge, but one has to try. 

Some students will be challenged (to tears) by some programs & others might be challenged by only a few.

Sure, but that is no reason to entirely remove appropriate challenges entirely. It is right not to give students inappropriately challenging work, but that works on both ends. Lack of appropriaate challenge and a reduction of math to math facts and procedures does not grow the mind. Students who are naturally less adept in math need appropriate challenge just as much as those who soar.

The thread included posts contending algebra in 8th Grade is bad for students. This is only so for those who have not been prepared. Part of being prepared is doing cognitively challenge work, and developing a deep mathematical understanding in elementary school. 

Bill

More and more research is showing that pushing Algebra 1 to 8th grade is having negative effects on students

This was the only statement I could find that said "algebra in 8th Grade is bad for students." I'll admit that I didn't read it the way you did, Bill. I thought this ("pushing") referred to when the majority of students, regardless of their demonstrated ability, are placed into an Algebra I class. Why wouldn't they be ready? My suspicion would be that their prior math didn't prepare them -- for a variety of possible reasons.

I hope no one would keep their kid from moving on in their mathematical studies because they aren't sure the kid has aged to perfection yet. Hopefully, that's what you meant with your posts.

Everyone sold on the fact that it is okay to work on algebra before 8th grade now, right?  :laugh:

I laugh a little at this because many programs now routinely integrate algebraic concepts from the beginning and simplified equation-solving starting in their 3rd & 4th grade levels (or sooner).

So, we're all good, right? Right guys? Don't have to wait for armpit hair before starting algebra, okay?  :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

This was the only statement I could find that said "algebra in 8th Grade is bad for students." I'll admit that I didn't read it the way you did, Bill. I thought this ("pushing") referred to when the majority of students, regardless of their demonstrated ability, are placed into an Algebra I class. Why wouldn't they be ready? My suspicion would be that their prior math didn't prepare them -- for a variety of possible reasons.

I hope no one would keep their kid from moving on in their mathematical studies because they aren't sure the kid has aged to perfection yet. Hopefully, that's what you meant with your posts.

Everyone sold on the fact that it is okay to work on algebra before 8th grade now, right?  :laugh:

I laugh a little at this because many programs now routinely integrate algebraic concepts from the beginning and simplified equation-solving starting in their 3rd & 4th grade levels (or sooner).

So, we're all good, right? Right guys? Don't have to wait for armpit hair before starting algebra, okay?  :coolgleamA:

You get what I'm saying. There is nothing magical to arm-pit hair. If individual children are not ready intellectually to take on a complex subject there can be harm in "pushing" them into it. But not developing their young and highly-plastic minds in their youths with appropriately challenging work that causes the upper learning centers of their minds to light up is a good way to ensure they won't be ready for such endeavors.

One can't draw on resources that are not developed. It is important to have creative problem solving, reasoning,  logical thinking, what-have-you, in the mix of the mathematical education along with cultivation a deep understanding of the underlying mathematical principals behind operations. The kick-the-can-down-the-road approach that either believes students can make up for years of lost time overnight, or concludes otherwise do-able topics are "pushing" are not great options, if the cause is too little intellectually challenging work during the grammar-stage.

Bill

Dd#1, Everyday Math in a solid ps math program, obviously learned conceptual thinking, good in math but not brilliant, B's college math and science. Gifted verbally, musician.

Dd#3, MIF five years in a district that has been bringing in specialists to train teachers in how to teach Singapore style and where a lot of time is devoted to math. Gifted verbally, but my weakest math student yet and the only one who will not be taking algebra in 7th or 8th grade, not my choice.

Dd#4, PM. I see benefits in her ability to conceptualize and in her ability to do mental math, but I also see a lack of mental organization in approaching math that my child who used CLE developed. 

Dd#2, used CLE, ironically, shows the most promise so far in high school math, finished the year at the top of her math class with over a 100% average. A similar profile as the others, having much stronger verbal skills. She is the only one who did not use a conceptually-based program, but she is also the one who has put the most time into music. 

My experience with my kids shows me that there is no easy answer. The best way seems to be a combo of conceptually challenging work with a lot of practice in the basics. That's what kids are getting in Asia. I say that as someone who lived in Asia for ten years, working in high schools and colleges/universities, and has a graduate degree in an Asia-related field. I would love to do a combo of Singapore and CLE with my last kiddo but I'd be risking mutiny.

I'm also convinced studying music seriously has a very beneficial effect on developing mathematical thinking, perhaps as much as choice of math program. 

• Like 7

Dd#1, Everyday Math in a solid ps math program, obviously learned conceptual thinking, good in math but not brilliant, B's college math and science. Gifted verbally, musician.

Dd#3, MIF five years in a district that has been bringing in specialists to train teachers in how to teach Singapore style and where a lot of time is devoted to math. Gifted verbally, but my weakest math student yet and the only one who will not be taking algebra in 7th or 8th grade, not my choice.

Dd#4, PM. I see benefits in her ability to conceptualize and in her ability to do mental math, but I also see a lack of mental organization in approaching math that my child who used CLE developed. 

Dd#2, used CLE, ironically, shows the most promise so far in high school math, finished the year at the top of her math class with over a 100% average. A similar profile as the others, having much stronger verbal skills. She is the only one who did not use a conceptually-based program, but she is also the one who has put the most time into music. 

My experience with my kids shows me that there is no easy answer. The best way seems to be a combo of conceptually challenging work with a lot of practice in the basics. That's what kids are getting in Asia. I say that as someone who lived in Asia for ten years, working in high schools and colleges/universities, and has a graduate degree in an Asia-related field. I would love to do a combo of Singapore and CLE with my last kiddo but I'd be risking mutiny.

I'm also convinced studying music seriously has a very beneficial effect on developing mathematical thinking, perhaps as much as choice of math program. 

I believe your right about music making a powerful effect on the mind, and that the pathways created are closely related to (and utilized by) the processing regions of the brain that do upper level mathematical thinking.

I know in my son's Middle School Math Academy program, students are highly encouraged to pursue take an instrument precisely because the faculty believe so strongly in the music-math connection.

I wonder how long it will be before we all have apps for brain-imaging on our devices that allow us to see how the brain fires up when presented different tasks. I think it will be fascinating, but not holding my breath.

As to the experience with different math programs, Everyday Mathematics is not something I've used, but is there a more controversial program used in public schools? It seems like what students get from EM is highly teacher dependant (far more than usual).

As to Singapore math, I'm a fan of it for where it excels, which is in teaching a math model that includes mental math, procedural competency in the standard algorithms, and a strong word problem solving method.

But without supplimentation (and sticking only to the "core" textbook/workbook material, a program like Primary Mathematics is lacking in the sort of cognitively calling work that stretches children's minds, of the sort I've mentioned. It is also somewhat lacking in making mathematical laws "explicit" rather than "implicit" in their use.

Where PM is strong it is very strong. But for working higher thinking skills supplementation is necessary IMO. There own IP and CWP materials help to offer gain-stretching problems, and there are other worthy options for adding "challenge."

I agree 100% that students need both procedural competence as well as conceptual understanding. For me the third leg of an outstanding math education is including problems that light up the reasoning portions of the brain. 

Bill

• Like 1

I think there are many misconceptions about CLE math. It does develop complex mathematical thinking, regularly incorporates logic, teaches algebraic thinking early on ... I have used it for several years and have witnessed how beautifully it is put together. So many underestimate it. I was getting worried that it was not enough, so I supplemented wih Singapore and AOPS. My kids could handle those programs easily, and I thought it was so amazing that they relied on the problem solving methods learned in CLE to solve problems in the new curriculum. My kids are not gifted in math. It's their least favorite subject. I attribute their abilities solely to the solid foundation CLE math built for them.

• Like 3

I think there are many misconceptions about CLE math. It does develop complex mathematical thinking, regularly incorporates logic, teaches algebraic thinking early on ... I have used it for several years and have witnessed how beautifully it is put together. So many underestimate it. I was getting worried that it was not enough, so I supplemented wih Singapore and AOPS. My kids could handle those programs easily, and I thought it was so amazing that they relied on the problem solving methods learned in CLE to solve problems in the new curriculum. My kids are not gifted in math. It's their least favorite subject. I attribute their abilities solely to the solid foundation CLE math built for them.

Do you have any examples of problems in CLE that develop complex mathematical thinking and incorporate logic?

Bill

Sorry about the quote snafu. I'm new at this.

Here is an example of a logic question in 5th grade.

David, Victor, and Alberto arrived at school at different times. What time did each boy arrive?

The clues are as follows: Alberto arrived after one of his friends but before the other. David did not arrive at 8:51.

Is that logical enough?

Sorry about the quote snafu. I'm new at this.

Here is an example of a logic question in 5th grade.

David, Victor, and Alberto arrived at school at different times. What time did each boy arrive?

The clues are as follows: Alberto arrived after one of his friends but before the other. David did not arrive at 8:51.

Is that logical enough?

I'm assuming there is additional information?

Bill

Do you have any examples of problems in CLE that develop complex mathematical thinking and incorporate logic?

Bill

There are logic problems and puzzles throughout the entire program. In my son's current light unit, there are logic problems involving future ages, number patterns and sequences to complete, a puzzle to fill in digits so that rows and circles of these numbers each have the same sum, and another puzzle involving removing lines from an arrangement to change the number of boxes remaining. 

Algebraic concepts and skills needed are introduced early including negative numbers, variables and expressions with variables, squares and square roots, proportions, etc. From my research of CLE, many students move into Algebra 1 following the 7th grade level. 

• Like 2

My 2 oldest dc are both in Algebra 1 this year. dd completed CLE through 807 and ds completed CLE through 707. Both tested as ready for algebra.

Did you feel that there was significant material in the 800's to go through that level if your child was not behind and could take the time to do it?  I am asking for a friend.  I have not seen the 800's but I heard that there was enough meat there to go through it if the child had the time to do so without being "behind" for High School material.  Do you feel this is so?

Did you feel that there was significant material in the 800's to go through that level if your child was not behind and could take the time to do it?  I am asking for a friend.  I have not seen the 800's but I heard that there was enough meat there to go through it if the child had the time to do so without being "behind" for High School material.  Do you feel this is so?

My dd did the 800 series. Have you looked at the scope and sequence? There's quite a bit of geometry, statistics, and it introduces trig. Honestly, it is part of the reason I'm not sure I want to skip and have ds do Algebra after the 700 series. I felt it was a really great course for dd. She went into high school math very well prepared. It also includes a bit of business math, which there's really not much time for once you hit the high school courses.

• Like 2

My dd did the 800 series. Have you looked at the scope and sequence? There's quite a bit of geometry, statistics, and it introduces trig. Honestly, it is part of the reason I'm not sure I want to skip and have ds do Algebra after the 700 series. I felt it was a really great course for dd. She went into high school math very well prepared. It also includes a bit of business math, which there's really not much time for once you hit the high school courses.

Thank you for the response! So many skip it but it seems meaty to me and I had heard that it was a good level to run through. I appreciate the confirmation.

• Like 1