Menu

Any last-minute overseas traveling advice for my ds?

Hoggirl

Ds leaves on Friday for a three-week study abroad seminar to the UK. It's a small group of around 15-16 students, and the idea of these for-credit summer study abroad programs is to allow students to get a "taste" of study abroad before they do an entire quarter. We lived in the UK for two years, and I am very comfortable with his traveling there because of my familiarity with it. We have traveled quite a bit ourselves, but there is always something new to learn, and it has certainly been a very long time since I studied overseas as a student.

Any tips at all?

Anyone know if he can carry on those little detergent pods? He'll have to do some laundry while there, and I thought that might be a good idea, but I didn't know if they would be allowed in his quart-sized bag or not??? Guess I should Google that!

Have him make two photocopies of his passport, one to leave in the U.S. and one to carry with him in a separate spot than the passport.

Has he looked into any issues he might have with his cell phone? Maybe an international texting plan or something?

• Like 1

Have him make two photocopies of his passport, one to leave in the U.S. and one to carry with him in a separate spot than the passport.

Has he looked into any issues he might have with his cell phone? Maybe an international texting plan or something?

We have taken care of both of these, and ds has also informed his bank that he is heading out of the coutnry.

• Like 1

Have you talked about the drinking culture?

Is the course being designed by the UK university? He should be prepared for the possibility of fewer tests and preparation helps, and more expectation of independent study, if so.

The course is not designed by the UK university. It's just an in-residence program there through his university here.

What, specifically, do you mean about the drinking culture that might be differen there than here? I'm all ears.

The course is not designed by the UK university. It's just an in-residence program there through his university here.

What, specifically, do you mean about the drinking culture that might be differen there than here? I'm all ears.

Well, the legal drinking age is 18, so that coincides with going off to university.  Binge drinking is very common, and as many towns are walkable or have public transport that you can use, the need to drive does not act as a brake on drinking.

Anyone know if he can carry on those little detergent pods? He'll have to do some laundry while there, and I thought that might be a good idea, but I didn't know if they would be allowed in his quart-sized bag or not??? Guess I should Google that!

I wouldn't bother with the pods. Laundry detergent is easily found in Great Britain ;). He can share a small package with his classmates. 

• Like 1

Well, the legal drinking age is 18, so that coincides with going off to university.  Binge drinking is very common, and as many towns are walkable or have public transport that you can use, the need to drive does not act as a brake on drinking.

My dd found this especially true among Americans overseas.  Even more so with the Americans who were not legal in the US.  (She was in Germany.)

I would suggest that he look up all the places he wants to go and put that info and maps onto his phone so he doesn't have to spend time there doing that. It should be a fantastic experience for

him!

A grand idea, though they only have two days that are not filled to the brim with their group itinerary. But, he should definitely do some research on where he might want to go on those days off! They have to get permission for something like that (which, as a mom, I like!).

• Like 1

I couldn't tell if your student has done the whole TSA/customs process recently, but you might explain that if they haven't.

When we went overseas two years ago, we didn't do that ahead of time, and one of my teens was a little upset by it.

This summer they knew what to expect and it was no biggie.