Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
markandbeka

Which phonics curriculum is most similar to TATRAS?

After much consideration and research, we had settled on TATRAS for our phonics program.  We were very pleased to find something that seemed very sound, solid, and straightforward, simple to use and without any bells or whistles.  However, I haven't been able to find a source for this program!  It seems to be out of print and I haven't been able to contact the author/publisher, or even to find a used copy anywhere.

SO, my question for anyone familiar with this is:  Which phonics program is most similar to TATRAS?  I have been looking at Spell to Write and Read, and All About Reading, but I have no personal experience with either one.  Or maybe there is another program out there that is more similar to TATRAS?  The qualities of TATRAS that I am seeking to find in another program are: vertical phonics approach, simplicity of use and layout, historically proven methods, and no extra "bells and whistles".

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated!!

I have no idea what TATRAS is, but Phonics Pathways seems to fit your requirements. It's one book you and the DC share, open and go, no extra parts. Open the book, work on it together, stick a bookmark in it. The next day pick up right where you left off. Four of my DC used this book; it was very effective.

Writing Road to Reading is another one that you can buy just one book. You can get a used 4th edition for a penny plus shipping on Amazon. This teaches the Spalding method. You'd need purchased or homemade flashcards, and a notebook as they get older. DC#5 used this to start reading, but moved to a traditional spelling book instead of doing the word lists in WRTR.

(Kiddo #6 is using Sing, Spell, Read, & Write, which has some optional bells and whistles. He's just doing the workbooks and songs, and doing fabulous.)

Phonics Pathways, very effective, seems simpler than TARTAS (which seems more complicated than WRTR to be honest) and one book = done up to about 4th grade reading level. Then Reading Pathways would be a great follow up (covers multi-syllable words etc.).

I haven't used Tatras (teach America to read and spell or sometimes called the great salt mine and hifwip), but the vertical method described is also employed in all the spell to read programs. So, that would be the writing road to reading, spell to write and read, logic of English, sound beginnings (which I use), and reading lessons through literature (I think this one is, but it's new and I'm only vaguely familiar). Of these, reading lessons through literature probably fits your wants best.