Menu

How should I price children's books for sale?

ELaurie

I have KonMaried most of our book shelves, :hurray:  and now have several boxes of books that I would like to sell.

I could list them on the WTM sale and swap board, but I think it would be simpler to sell them locally. There are local home schooling forums where I could list them, or I could take them to Half Price Books to sell.

Our friends are having a yard sale this weekend, and I could also sell them there. I have lots of children's picture books that are in very good condition, some paperbacks (also in very good condition) and some home schooling books.

I really have no idea how to price them though. Suggestions welcome :001_smile:

For a yard sale?  $1.00 for super nice picture books, $0.50 for average picture books, $0.50 for paperbacks, possibly a few dollars each for the homeschooling books, depending on what they are.  I'm not saying the books aren't worth more than that, but people aren't generally willing to pay much more at a yard sale.

Congratulations on cleaning out!!!   :thumbup1:  

• Like 3

I *might* pay $1 at a yard sale, if it was a classic in good condition. 

For the most part, I expect to pay 25-50 cents and to get a bargain if I buy an armful.

Similarly, when I have yard sales, I definitely take a hit on what I could get, if I wanted to go to the trouble of listing them. 

Editing to add - I would pull the homeschooling books and list them, if they had any value.

• Like 1

When we got rid of a huge amount of books, selling them really wasn't very effective.  I did get rid of some in a yard sale but didn't make much money, even for the books that were in good shape and fairly unique.  Half Price Books took some and didn't pay much for almost any of them.  We donated most of them at the end.

Honestly, I donate all children's books to our local Friend's of the Library sale. But if I bought at a yard sale, I wouldn't pay more than .50 for a soft bound book or board book in very good condition, and maybe 1$ for a hardcover in perfect condition.  It would be less as the condition of the books go down. That is what the Friends of the Library charges. I have seen kid books for sale for .10 at yard sales.

And good job to  you for clearing out books!  Two weeks ago I sent out FOUR storage bins of books and no longer needed homeschooling materials to the book sale.  It was such hard work!  Yay for both of us!

• Like 1

I got rid of a bunch by just listing them as a lot on our local homeschool facebook swap board. They were all books we used for homeschooling the Ancients time period and I just grouped 15 books for $10. They sold quickly. When I culled our kid lit bookcase, I didn't want to go through the hassle of posting and meeting up again so I just donated them to the library book sale (where I bought most of them) and will take the tax deduction.

I would go through them and look at amazons buy back program before I yard saled them, if I was going to yard sale them anyway. Amazon will pay you to ship them to them and occasionally I will find a book I'm getting rid of is worth more than yard sale price.

• Like 1

Why don't you take them to Half-Price books first? Whatever they don't want could then get listed for sale to other homeschoolers if you think it would have value (like all the books in a set or supplements to a popular curriculum), the remainder could go to the yard sale and then anything left you could donate.

If any step feels overwhelming, skip it and go to the next one.

• Like 2