Menu

Any Families that do SCUBA diving with their kids?

My son is in the process of getting his Jr. SCUBA certification. It has been fun and challenging, and I really think he should get credit for it. How should I go about doing that? .5 credit for classroom time, more depending on how many dives he logs, etc?

Any insight appreciated.

All three of ours were Open Water scuba certified at ages 14, 12, and 10 respectively.  We just used it as an extra curricular when it came to college apps.  I definitely don't see where it's credit worthy.  Yes, there are different things learned, but not enough for a credit IME.  It's more like a sport - part of PE.

If heading toward college, remember that admissions likes to see diversity in extra curriculars too.  If you choose to try to use it as a credit, you aren't supposed to use it as an EC.

• Like 3

My son has his Open Water certification, went to Sea Base this summer, and dives frequently with my husband in California and the Great Lakes, but I'm not giving him credit for it. I'll include it on his list of extracurricular activities. He doesn't need PE credit though since he's on a nordic ski team. If he did need PE credit, I'd have no problem with giving him credit based on his diving hours.

• Like 1

I think scuba is worth some PE credit.  I took a 1 hour credit scuba diving course in college many years ago and it's still taught as a college course today.  Earning  a certification and a few open water dives would easily account for .5 credits. You could make it 1 credit with more open water dives and maybe even an additional certification.

• Like 1

Hmm... I guess I really need to start thinking about these extra curricular activities with DD.  She is SCUBA certified, but I would have never even thought about using that one a college application.  My DD doesn't have many dives in beyond her check out dives (only certified since end of March), but we hope to remedy that soon.

• Like 1

Best as an extracurricular.

Colleges don't care about PE, imo. Listing it under activities gives it the best chance to stand out. 

:iagree:  But FWIW, at many schools it stands out, but at others, esp those with popular marine majors, it's almost expected.

Either way, it stands out more as an EC than as part of a transcript credit.  Many schools look for the major four + languages on the transcript, then quickly head to other parts of the app to see what makes the student a "worthy" (desirable?) candidate.

• Like 1