Menu

Best way to teach foreign language to littles?

StaceyinLA

What language are you looking at?  My kids liked Muzzy when they were little but it depends on the language about quality.  Buy used only otherwise new is not worth it.  Little Pim videos are good.  We like CDs that we can listen in the car, can tell you what we like depending on the language you choose.

My kids liked Muzzy also. BBC has some websites geared to littes I think. Lots of cartoons etc can be watched in other languages on youtube. Mom or Dad actively teaching things like counting in the foreign language is good too.

Well, immersion is best of course, but if you can't do that, I think songs are the next best thing at that age.  A couple of my children are completely fluent in a second language, and they said the thing that helped them the most when they first got started (and even years later, when they were trying to remember things and not fluent yet), were the songs they learned when they were first beginning, that teach different vocabulary.

• Like 1

I agree that songs work well.  My older kids can still sing a song they learned memorizing the different countries in Africa (and others we learned) which was 6 yrs. ago.  :)

I am trying these with my little one they look awesome but haven't implemented yet along with Little Pim and Muzzy videos:

www.cherrydalepress.com  (CM type of learning)  Has Spanish and French

Lyric Language  (has both Spanish and French)   

We haven't used it but Classical Academic Press offers a Spanish book called:  Song School for Spanish (we have used the Latin in the past) and have enjoyed it based on songs and has a workbook with it.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are temporarily in France and we put our three year old in French preschool, which is awesome but not something most can do, of course. Before we came we watched a lot of youtube with songs and shows in French. It gave her a good background, I think, so she adjusted to immersion really well. If your daughter is going to show movies with the French track turned on, I recommend sticking to cartoons. With live action the mouth making English shapes but French coming out can be annoying and even problematic/confusing. Youtube has lots and lots to offer, much of which is high quality and seems to be legally sourced.

• 3 weeks later...