Menu

n/m

Love

You have to keep her confined to an area with none of these things whenever you are not at home or busy. When you are giving her 1:1 attention keep a jar of coins or something unpleasantly noisy handy and if she squats shake it loudly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This is why I don't want to resort to pads for our tiny dog.  Mine has accidents, but he knows where he's supposed to go.  Yours seems to know where she's supposed to go, but she believes everything that looks like that material IS that material.  Is there a reason you can't teach her that she's supposed to go outside?

• Like 2

You know for sure that she can hold it and that it's not likely a UTI or other medical issue?  If you're not positive about that, then the first step is to get her to the vet for a thorough check up that includes a urinalysis.  If you feel sure there are no medical issues, then I would either keep her confined to an area with hard flooring and no rugs for a good long time until she forgets about going anywhere but outside (or on a piddle pad), or use the tethering method where she's attached to you with a leash every second so you can watch her like a hawk.

Regarding using the enzyme cleaner -- What method have you been using?  For it to work properly you need to saturate the accident area and allow it to dry very slowly.  I usually place a damp hand towel over any accident area so the cleaner will dry as slowly as possible and the enzymes will have plenty of time to work their magic.

• Like 3

You are actively training your dog to pee in the house by using a piddle pad. Those have got to go, or you'll have a life-time problem (of your own creation). It is going to be hard enough re-training a dog that pees inside.

If it were me, I'd start house training from scratch. The dog would be crated to sleep. Then removed immediately to the outdoor spot upon release to do her thing. And just as she begins to pee I'd give her a "command word" (of your choice) for her to associate with the activity and give then praise.

Then I'd allow her to be loose only so long as she could be watched like a hawk. Otherwise crated (not just on a hard surface floor, where the dog might pee, because that won't work.)

If out and supervised, one snifff and you are immediately outside with the command word at the ready and more praise. After a while the command can just barely anticipate the urine flow.

I'd take walks based on expected relief times, or do outside to do the same, but no unsupervised time in the short term.

This is all assuming no medical issues (like UTIs) as Pawz wisely mentions need to be ruled out if they might be the root cause. But it sounds like a training issue.

Bill

• Like 3

All of the above, plus, even though the kids might be sad, the adults in the house who can follow the training guidelines are the ones responsible for supervising the dog. So if mom (or another responsible adult) is not home, the puppy stays in the crate. Both the puppy and the kids will get over it. There will be plenty of time for them to hang out together once the training issue is under control.

• Like 2

You are actively training your dog to pee in the house by using a piddle pad. Those have got to go, or you'll have a life-time problem (of your own creation). It is going to be hard enough re-training a dog that pees inside.

If it were me, I'd start house training from scratch. The dog would be crated to sleep. Then removed immediately to the outdoor spot upon release to do her thing. And just as she begins to pee I'd give her a "command word" (of your choice) for her to associate with the activity and give then praise.

Then I'd allow her to be loose only so long as she could be watched like a hawk. Otherwise crated (not just on a hard surface floor, where the dog might pee, because that won't work.)

If out and supervised, one snifff and you are immediately outside with the command word at the ready and more praise. After a while the command can just barely anticipate the urine flow.

I'd take walks based on expected relief times, or do outside to do the same, but no unsupervised time in the short term.

This is all assuming no medical issues (like UTIs) as Pawz wisely mentions need to be ruled out if they might be the root cause. But it sounds like a training issue.

Bill

Regarding the bolded -- IME most dogs who are pee pad trained do NOT have house soiling problems.  Quite the opposite--pee pads seem to work wonderfully for most of them.  I don't want anyone to be scared off from that because this individual dog is having an issue with it.  For this particular dog I have a hunch Bill might be right, though.

No pads. Honestly they are pointless. How old are the dogs? You said you got them 6 months ago? So are they about that age? If so that is way too old for a pad anyway. 

You just have to take them out where you want them to go. All.the.time. Even in the rain. Even late at night. Letting them pee on a pad in the house is only teaching them that it's okay to pee in the house sometimes. You're not teaching them that inside is never okay to do business. So that sets them up for confusion and even anxiety, because it is not in a dog's nature to make a mess where they sleep or eat.  It's best to take young pups outside to a designated spot in your yard at regular intervals throughout the day. Routine is best. Just like a child, they eventually learn to hold it for longer periods of time. If you're consistent, then the dogs will be going out on your schedule. By the end of the first year into year two they are pretty much well trained. 

And when they have an accident, and they will because just like a child, they are children learning the right way, you have to be consistent in follow up. When our 2 year old Lab was small, and had accidents, I simply said No firmly, and picked him up (or leashed him to go out) right then and took him to the yard. It's a mistake to simply clean up the mess and not interact with the dog in any way. Also if you catch them about to go you can firmly say No and take them out. You have to learn to watch for signs, sniffing about, whining, turning in circles etc. You can even interrupt a pee with a firm enough NO and get them outside.

Also some dogs, especially when young, pee when excited. If jumping on your bed was also mixed with a playful, excitement then that could explain the accident there. Young puppies can grow out of it. But consistent discipline is key. Every accident, or beginning of an accident, put on your firm voice, and take the pup outside. 

• Like 1

No pads. Honestly they are pointless. How old are the dogs? You said you got them 6 months ago? So are they about that age? If so that is way too old for a pad anyway. 

You just have to take them out where you want them to go. All.the.time. Even in the rain. Even late at night. Letting them pee on a pad in the house is only teaching them that it's okay to pee in the house sometimes. You're not teaching them that inside is never okay to do business. So that sets them up for confusion and even anxiety, because it is not in a dog's nature to make a mess where they sleep or eat.  It's best to take young pups outside to a designated spot in your yard at regular intervals throughout the day. Routine is best. Just like a child, they eventually learn to hold it for longer periods of time. If you're consistent, then the dogs will be going out on your schedule. By the end of the first year into year two they are pretty much well trained. 

And when they have an accident, and they will because just like a child, they are children learning the right way, you have to be consistent in follow up. When our 2 year old Lab was small, and had accidents, I simply said No firmly, and picked him up (or leashed him to go out) right then and took him to the yard. It's a mistake to simply clean up the mess and not interact with the dog in any way. Also if you catch them about to go you can firmly say No and take them out. You have to learn to watch for signs, sniffing about, whining, turning in circles etc. You can even interrupt a pee with a firm enough NO and get them outside.

Also some dogs, especially when young, pee when excited. If jumping on your bed was also mixed with a playful, excitement then that could explain the accident there. Young puppies can grow out of it. But consistent discipline is key. Every accident, or beginning of an accident, put on your firm voice, and take the pup outside. 

Again, the bolded isn't true of most dogs.  There are untold zillions of dogs who live in high rise apartments or whose owners work long hours, are elderly or physically handicapped who very reliably and consistently use pee pads w/o any confusion, anxiety or inappropriate elimination in other parts of the home.

Regarding the bolded -- IME most dogs who are pee pad trained do NOT have house soiling problems.  Quite the opposite--pee pads seem to work wonderfully for most of them.  I don't want anyone to be scared off from that because this individual dog is having an issue with it.  For this particular dog I have a hunch Bill might be right, though.

We will need to disagree on this issue. I think pee pads are a disaster in most cases. I would never recommend using them. Ever. Unless one want to teach a dog that peeing inside is OK. 

Bill (who has no idea how to properly use enzyme cleaner ;) )

• Like 3

Every house where I have seen pee pads used smells like pee precisely because the dogs tend to be the ones who go elsewhere, too (dad is a carpet cleaner, I saw the worst of the worst of pet smells and stains!).

I agree verifying there isn't a UTI might be a good step but they should be in a crate or safe puppy area if they cannot be reliably left in the house while you're gone. They're not bad dogs, but it does sound like they've been allowed to develop some predictable bad habits. Positive reinforcing of the proper locations to pee is also probably a great idea at this point. Because really, it's bad owner, not bad dog, over things like this ;)

We will need to disagree on this issue. I think pee pads are a disaster in most cases. I would never recommend using them. Ever. Unless one want to teach a dog that peeing inside is OK. 

Bill (who has no idea how to properly use enzyme cleaner ;) )

Agreed. The only times I have ever seen them be used to successfully transition to complete outside potty use is when they are slowly moved to the exit. They start out with them in a area of the house of their choosing, and the pad is slowly moved closer to the door. Eventually the pad is taken outside, and they get used to going outside to go potty. IMO, it is easier to just crate train for a couple weeks, and be on top of things when it comes to taking them outside. It has worked for any dog I have had, from age 9 weeks to 4 months.

Thanks for all the ideas.  We have a little doggy pen we can keep her in, in the kitchen, and also we still have some baby gates up, so we'll just have to be more consistent.  

This, every time. All of you must be consistent, all the time, every time.

I fostered a dachshund for about a year. She was as sweet as can be, but there were pee problems in the beginning, which surprised me, because she had been living in a home, and her owners didn't say anything about her having a problem. I tried being consistent and took her outside hourly, but the little dickens would snuggle in my lap while I dozed, ooze down and go pee somewhere, then ooze back into my lap. Grrr. So I began wearing her: kept her leash on, tethered to me all day; tethered to a leg of the kitchen table when I was cooking, tethered to the leg of the chair when I was eating, tethered when we were napping together in front of the TV so that if she oozed down out of the chair she could only go a couple of feet, tethered to me when we went outside multiple times a day. Only had to do this for two or three days.

So, all of you have to keep your pup confined to the little pen when no one is directly interacting with her, no exceptions, all the time.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the ideas.  We have a little doggy pen we can keep her in, in the kitchen, and also we still have some baby gates up, so we'll just have to be more consistent.  

Sorry, but a pen is not a crate. A dog will not soil its sleeping area except in extraordinary circumstances. But it will soil a pen. You need to use every advantage you have here. Purchase an appropriate sized crate, and use it. 

You are already way past the developmental window for house training, and have made the job more difficult than necessary. Don't take counter-productive half-measures now. The dog needs serious attention if you hope to fix this problem, It is do-able, but this is an owner failure. Sorry to say.

Bill

• Like 2