Menu

Studio Art -- is this valid for high school credit?

We have a local art studio that offers classes year-round. The classes vary in length and number of sessions but range from 5-20 hours. If ds takes several of these classes over the course of his high school years, can I count that for fine arts credit? Say he takes the following, for example:

Oil Painting 20 hours

Glass fusing 6 hours

Basic Drawing 10 hours

Digital Photography 10 hours

Metal Studio 20 hours

Total = 66 hours

Can I put that on his transcript as Studio Art 1/2 credit without doing any extra outside assignments?

I would say yes if 66 hours is enough for a half credit in your homeschool (my minimum was 75 hours, but lots of people use 60).

I gave my son a PE credit for several sailing classes taken through parks and rec and a fine arts credit for a year of viola lessons and practice.

• Like 2

I forgot to say that if he doesn't need a fine arts credit, he might want to list the classes as an extracurricular.  The sailing and viola credits I mentioned above originally started out as extracurriculars, but when my son listed his extracurriculars on his college applications, they didn't make the cut, so I made them into courses instead.

• Like 1

Another yes, as local high schools offer studio art for credit. I believe a minimum of one fine arts (art or music) credit is required for graduation in our state.

If I were in your shoes, I would find course listing for local high schools and try to match up your courses with theirs, more or less. Many introductory courses are 'exploration' types and cover various media. Introductory art does not require homework, Ime. (Advanced courses may require a portfolio, extra work.)

It sounds as though you have a great line up, with qualified teachers. Can you get a letter/certificate of completion or keep your own record of attendance, or just get a note from teacher or administrator. And keep a portfolio. The only snag I could see would be lack of records that your dd completed the courses.

Thanks for the feedback!

I forgot to say that if he doesn't need a fine arts credit, he might want to list the classes as an extracurricular.  The sailing and viola credits I mentioned above originally started out as extracurriculars, but when my son listed his extracurriculars on his college applications, they didn't make the cut, so I made them into courses instead.

What it basically comes down to is that *I* want him to do art, and I think it would look good to have some on his transcript. He has enjoyed art classes he's taken in the past, but he almost never seeks to do art on his own. (At least visual arts -- he does lots of music and theater as extra-curriculars.) So I've asked him to do at least 1 credit of fine arts -- 1/2 credit doing art and 1/2 credit art appreciation or art history.

Outsourcing the studio part in short sessions seems like the best way to achieve it. I want him to be able to choose a few types of art that appeal to him. And outsourcing will make sure it actually happens. When we started out, I had high ideals of achieving proficiency in drawing and other art skills, but at this point I just want to make sure he does SOME art in high school and enjoys it.

It sounds as though you have a great line up, with qualified teachers. Can you get a letter/certificate of completion or keep your own record of attendance, or just get a note from teacher or administrator. And keep a portfolio. The only snag I could see would be lack of records that your dd completed the courses.

I do keep records. A portfolio is a good idea. Thanks!

• Like 1

Nowadays they do digital portfolios!  My daughter took an AP Studio Arts class at the local PS, and at the end of the semester they took pictures of everything to have a digital record.  Or, a print-out that took up much less room than the actual full-size projects.