Menu

Are your kids in Martial arts? Which?

Just kidding ;).

We're in Judo. Judo is a defensive sport, consisting mainly of throwing your opponent and some grappling (mat work). You learn to get your opponent off balance and use their momentum to get them to the ground. After the age of 13 you learn to choke opponents, and over 16 (I think), you learn arm bars. It's great for teaching coordination and self discipline. In your first Judo class you will learn the proper ways to fall (front, back, each side, and front rolls on each side). This is helpful even if you don't stick with Judo if you're clumsy ;). It's a defensive sport because you aren't likely to attack someone by with throws, but if you are being attacked you will be able to defend yourself well. There are no kicks or punches.

It's great for strength training (when you are practicing the throws) and it's an awesome aerobic workout (when you are either practice fighting or in a real competition).

It's also an Olympic Sport.

It's a lot of fun :D. Ds8 & ds7 have been doing Judo for 2.5 years, Ds5 & I have been doing Judo for 1.5 years, and ds4 just started on his birthday this month.

It's an ancient Korean Martial Art, similar to Tae Kwon Do. The boys have been doing it for about 3 years and are testing next week for their red belts with black stripe. They will test for their black belts in late June/early July.

We were able to go to Korea this past summer for an international tournament ,and it was an amazing experience.

They have both gained lots of confidence and self discipline through Hap Ki Do, not to mention the great physical workouts! We love the school and the teachers. Lots of the black belts stick around, which is pretty unusual.

Nancy

Also Korean - we chose it because a neighbor, who has done martial arts for years, had already scoped all the area studio and found the local headquarters of this less-heard of art the best. Kyuki-Do is a combo of all the other martial arts. DD is testing for her green belt this month (has only been doing it since late May - they estimate 3-4 years to make black belt.) It includes kicks, punches, some grappling - a bit of everything. I do not know how it differs from Tae Kon Do since I have never seen that one.

DD also has JUST started Judo there, too....she wishes more girls took it, as she is an age when boys have major cooties, and does not like touching them, much less grappling with them :rolleyes:. But she understands that a bad guy who might want to hurt her someday would most likely be a GUY, so best to learn how to deal with them now.

Seems the boys at ages 8-11 don't like grappling with girls, either - it is a funny class to watch sometimes.

It's just that I don't know the difference between the various martial arts.

My boys are in Taekwondo. It is a sport to learn for defensive purposes as well as flexibility, coordination, and discipline. Personally, I love it b/c it's core is the tenets-honor, courtesy, integrity, perseverence, self-control, courage, and community. It works to instill these values in the kids as well as the discipline of the art. My boys are Level 3, 1st degree black belts. We have been taking for 3 years. Another thing that I love about it is that it is constantly rewarding. Unlike many sports, you can always work your way up in Taekwondo by going to the next belt level and it keeps the kids motivated. Don't get me wrong, we do all the other sports as well, but you know like baseball season eventually ends , and you've either won or lost. That's not how tae. is. The boys are also about to start Ji-jitsu (spelling?) which is more of ground fighting. For ex., how to get yourself off the ground or un-pinned if someone is on top of you in an attack. My dh took this as a child b/c he was and still is shorter than the avg. man. He said it helped him tremendously if he was ever in a confrontation. My boys are also very short and I don't want them to be at a disadvantage b/c of their size. My prayers are that they won't have that problem, but I guess you just never know. I hope this helps a bit. Also, my ds12 is ADHD with SPD, and it has help him in focusing, coordination, and discipline! Good luck on your choice!

It's just that I don't know the difference between the various martial arts.

He's very light for his height and found it dispiriting to have heavier kids just lie on him so he couldn't move.

He changed to Taekwondo and has enjoyed it - he's taking a break at the moment, but I hope he goes back to it. It's mostly kicking, lots of flexibility, coordination and strength.

Hobbes just started Karate, which has kicks like Taekwondo but more punches. He's having a good time and it is similarly good for strength and coordination. Less stress on flexibility so far though.

Laura

Japanese, defensive rather than offensive, works on using the opponent's energy against them and seeking to protect the opponent from injury as well as oneself. It grew out of Shinto. My 7.5 yo daughter and my husband take a family class once a week, then he takes another adult class once or twice a week. I don't know how common it is to find a kids' class. Our dojo is a small family one on the family's property, run by the couple. They have two children who train, so they have the limited kids' class once a week (their kids are a bit older and a bit younger than my daughter).

Here's the link to the United States Aikido Federation, to which our dojo belongs.

http://www.usaikifed.com/info.html

It's not, at least at our dojo, one where folks progress quickly through belt levels, so if accumulating levels quickly is a goal, this won't be a good one to choose. Here's the testing schedule required http://www.usaikifed.com/testreq.htm. My husband is now 5th kyu, my daughter 10th kyu. As I understand it (may be wrong, and my husband is at aikido now, so I can't ask), the days requirement is days of training between testing, not cumulative--so it will be 80 more days of training before he tests again rather than 20 if you follow. In practice, my husband and daughter have been going since April or May and their first test was in December.

Be careful in evaluating martial arts programs for kids. From what I have heard there is an unfortunate proliferation of "belt mills" (in various disciplines, I don't know that it is concentrated in any one form of martial art) where the primary purpose of the dojo seems to be to generate more money by constantly charging for frequent belt tests rather than an emphasis on proper training.

Aikido is a lot of kicking? I was looking at that one since it's in the neighborhood, but I don't know what I think about it.

No, not kicking at all and I don't think punching either (again, I don't take the classes so I am not 100% sure there are none, but certainly not to the level of most of the other martial arts I have seen). That's part of what I really like about it. There is some sword work (with wooden practice swords), but they will be doing lots of rolls, falls, etc.

Here's a youtube clip of Donovan Waite Shihan, who came to our dojo for a training seminar last fall and will be back this year. It will give you an idea of what it looks like. The ones in hakama (the black pants---I think I spelled that correctly :)) are the upper level students, the lower level ones are just in the gis (white uniforms).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61mDBo6mLio&NR=1

Our dojo is run by a homeschooling couple, and I couldn't be more happy with it. It's really helped with body awareness and self-control, and it's a very peaceful martial art that still instills the personal defense skills. I had looked at other martial arts schools in the area without knowing a whole lot about the differences, but now I'm a fan of Aikido and know that we chose right. I just hope they keep doing it and we can continue to afford it (although it's much less expensive than most)!

Karate is an offensive martial art. Our particular style is a blend of other styles of karate, uses a vertical rather than horizontal fist, and teaches moves that are easily converted to "street techniques" for usefulness in the modern world.

We have been studying this style for six years. My 13 year old is well ahead of me in rank, and the 11 year old is one rank behind me -- though we started at the same time. When she was a beginner, the youngest was 5 years old and certainly one of the smallest/youngest kids in the class. Now, at 11, she is still small for her age, but this has never been an issue. We are encouraged to move at our own pace, we are challenged by being partnered with various ages, ranks, and sizes of partners. And, the black belt instructors make it all work.

I believe that a good sensei can make a martial arts class work for students of all ages, sizes, and abilities. The point is to build confidence both physically and mentally in the individual student, no matter what style you study.

Doran

Aikido is a lot of kicking? I was looking at that one since it's in the neighborhood, but I don't know what I think about it.

No kicking with aikido, I think that's judo? Aikido is more defensive arm moves and rolls or flips with a partner. They might offer a free lesson at the one close-by. I know ours did. A lot in all of these things depends upon the instructor so it is wise to meet them before signing up, I think.

Mary

It seems pretty physical. :o The Taekwando, I mean.

DH and older kids do taekwondo (tkd). Classes start with running, then stretching then jumprope or ladder drills. Our previous school had the kids all running line drills across a big gym. I would say there is a big cardio component.

Then they do drills on various skills, kicks and punches. There are standard forms for the belts (above the first couple) that the kids have to learn. Forms are sets of blocks, punches or kicks that are done in a certain order and facing a certain direction. They get progressively more complex as the student goes up in rank. In tkd they are called poomse. (They also exist in other arts like karate etc.)

Sometimes the kids will do light sparring in class. They wear shin and arm pads and focus mostly on timing, blocks and distance. For our school, most of the heavy sparring is done at extra sparring class. This is included in the monthly fee but is optional. At these sparring sessions, the kids wear pads as well as padded helmets and chest/back protectors.

DH has also studied a couple of other arts including karate, kwongnu (retatively new are that originated in Vietnam) and hapkido. We move a lot and he has never been able to continue with the previous art after a move because they weren't available in the new city. We chose tkd for the kids for a couple reasons. It is widely available. We hoped that they could continue it even after moving. (This worked great when we moved here. Our current studio has several high level competitiors, and the owner is a great coach.) We also liked the more sporty aspect of tkd (vs. combat hapkido, for example). While dh plans for the boys to take hapkido at some later time, he didn't feel the focus of that particular art was appropriate for the boys while they are still young. And while our school as a whole has a strong focus on sparring and competition, there I haven't felt that the owner or instructors care any less for students who don't compete. Our owner was very up front when we joined that sparring was optional but that we needed to not get upset if other students progressed faster because they were getting half again more practice time than our kids.

I would suggest that you not sign any long term contracts (at least at first) but go month to month instead. You will also want to ask about the cost of testing and uniforms. Our current school will test students whenevery they are ready (except for black belts which are annual). Our previous school only held tests twice a year. From talking to our owner, I've learned that he depends on uniform sales to keep the lights on. But he also was happy to let the kids stay in their old uniforms until they grew out of them or wore them out. Some schools may pressure you to buy new uniforms right away and frequently.

You will also want to watch what the teacher student ratio is and how the class assistants behave themselves. I prefer a studio that has more permanent equipment (like floor mats), but that isn't always possible. Our school also has enough paddles and shields (padded items to kick against) that the kids can pair up for this practice instead of always being in a huge line waiting for their turn to do a practice kick with the instructor. There will need to be practice sets with the instructor, especially when they are learning a new kick or combo. But our previous school had a lot more time waiting around or students otherwise poorly supervised.

Spend some time watching the instructors (including senior students who assist in junior classes). I am so impressed with the character of the people in our school. And since we are there about ten hours a week between all of our classes, that is a good thing. My kids are learning a lot more than just kicks and blocks from their time in class.

My ds 7 is an orange belt with a black stripe in TKD. His sister, my dd12 is in Kumdo. That is korean similar to kendo. She learned a bit in Korea and from her dad. She is the only one in the class without a black belt tkd. She is not interested in TKD and since in Korea that didn't have to do both they aren't making her. She loves her bamboo sword! Both she and ds are interested in joining the lion dance team here in our town which combines martial arts with dance.

Melissa

My 14-DS is a fencer. Epee actually. With an E-rating. (bottom level of national rankings.) In addition to "epee" (type of sword) there is also "foil" (beginner's type of sword) and "saber" (crazy man's type of sword.) :D

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled martial arts discussion :cool:

OK, that's two posts for Taekwando for smaller kids. My son is also very small in height and weight for his age. I think martial arts will be a good thing for discipline and self esteem.

My 8.5 year old is 43 pounds, and my 4 year old is about 24 pounds. A good Judo Sensei won't just let a big guy lay on a small guy and call it Judo. It's harder to fight to get out of a bigger guy's pin, but there are ways to do it and that's what is taught in Judo. Judo is about technique, and not just about throwing your weight around. The bigger guys do have a slight advantage, especially in the beginning, but one of the best Judokas I know is a 130 pound 5'4" guy and I've seen him throw and pin guys who outweigh him by 100 pounds.

I figure if my guys ever have to defend themselves, it's most likely not going to be against someone smaller than them.

I figure if my guys ever have to defend themselves, it's most likely not going to be against someone smaller than them.

That's true. I'm just trying to get him interested. He's very small, feisty yet emotional. There is a TKD club not too far away and I think we will check it out tomorrow. We watched the youtube from the club and he seemed skeptical (he's 6.5) but I know that martial arts is just the thing for him.

My 14-DS is a fencer. Epee actually. With an E-rating. (bottom level of national rankings.) In addition to "epee" (type of sword) there is also "foil" (beginner's type of sword) and "saber" (crazy man's type of sword.) :D

:

My ds (11) fences too! His first choice is saber. He liked it best since he was 7 because you could his the person on the head! LOL

All three of my kids take Tung Su Do. I'm not sure I spelled that right. Anyway, we chose it because of the instructor. She is simply amazing with the kids. My 10 yo has been taking it the longest - 4 years - and is a red belt with two stripes. He has another 2 - 3 years before black belt. I think it takes longer to advance in Tung Su Do than the other martial arts. My 11 yo is the same ranking as the 10 yo. My 7 yo is a green belt with three stripes. He has another 4 - 5 years until he's a black belt!

Have fun! My kids love it and I don't have anything but good things to say about it!!

My oldest takes Aikido; she'll be moving from Pee Wee to the kid's class at the end of the year when she turns 7. I like that it's defensive rather than offensive; she appreciates that the noise level is much less than with TKD (there were other issues with TKD, but noise was the deal breaker for her) and that respect flows both ways between instructor and student in Aikido (at least at her dojo).

My boys love their Karate class. They have been studying for 4 years and are now purple belts and will soon test for brown. We are happy with their classes. They have gained strength and coordination as well as discipline from this sport. My middle son also has improved sequential processing from learning his katas. He also has improved propioception as well.

My kids focus on forms, punches and kicks, stances, and defensive moves. The do some sparring, but it is not their favorite (even though they are very good at it.) Each belt beyond yellow requires some weapons work but that has not been a focus since the studio started offering XMA (extreme martial arts - combo of martial arts and acrobatics).

Or something similar to that, but definitely karate! DS has been doing it for around 2.5 years. I expect that he will be ready to test for his black belt in the beginning of 2009.

He does katas, forms, self defense, weapons, sparring, and other things I'm forgetting. He gets a great workout, the classes are tough! He does three classes per week, one is weapons.

My DS is very large for his age, but there are many tiny kids in the class. Generally kids are matched with similar sized partners for sparring.

I've been very pleased with our dojo, the instructors are great with the kids, and my DS has done very well. It's great for his ADHD, really helps him get out his ya-ya's and learn focus, self-discipline, and respect.

Michelle T

Kung Fu (Chuan Fa) in conjunction with Tai Chi (spiritual & physical). Kali with elements of other Eskrima styles (single & double stick fighting). Our boys do not take sport martial arts. Maybe someday... but not yet. We have private lessons with a close friend. (well, one is 8 months old so his study of MA is all theoretical... although my friend insists he will begin as soon as he can walk) :D

Wado Kai Karate here. My daughter LOVES it. She does kata, kumite and competes. It is the best thing ever! I swear it has helped with her learning - she has learning disabilities (rote memory, sequencing, dyscalculia etc, etc, etc!!) which have all but disappeared since about 6 months into karate. It does help that her sensei is wonderful, very disciplined, strict, gentle and fun.

:D

My kids and I have all been taking it for nearly 4 years. My dh goes when he can. He's a yellow belt (the 2nd belt) and the kids and I are 1st degree black belts. Tae kwon do actually means punching kicking way so TKD is primarily a punching and kicking sport. Our forms have punches and kicks. We also do sparring sets, which would help us defend ourselves should we ever get in a street fight, and self-defense moves, which teach us ways to get out of bad situations like a choke hold, shirt grab, etc. I love the self-defense training. As we have progressed to black belt, our training is also including things from other forms of martial arts. For example to get our first chevron, we learned 12 different wrist grab manuevers like are used in hapkido (I believe). Our master stresses values in class. My kids have grown in so many ways from taking tkd - strength, discipline, confidence. I think martial arts are great and it's about finding an instructor that you like first and foremost, and then style.

A good Judo Sensei won't just let a big guy lay on a small guy and call it Judo. It's harder to fight to get out of a bigger guy's pin, but there are ways to do it and that's what is taught in Judo.

The class wasn't well disciplined and he just got lain on a lot. He's actually tall but so light that he just didn't have the strength or technique to get out from under people.

Laura