Menu

Chemistry for 1st and 3rd Grader

kbradfie

I am looking for some suggestions on a good chemistry curriculum that I can use with both my 1st and 3rd grader. I bought Christian Kids Explore Chemistry, but both the text and experiments have been boring them to tears.

Does anyone have any suggestions of something that is fairly basic and easily understood? We aren't really science minded, so we don't want anything too complicated at this point. I've looked at quite a few curriculum choices and two that stand out so far are R.E.A.L Science Odyssey and Mr. Q's Elementary Chemistry. I would love some input on those and any others you think might be a good choice for us.

Thank you!

Well, that book says it's for grades 4-8. Finding one targeted at their grade levels would be a better match. Honestly I'd try something other than chemistry for those ages. There are gobs of fascinating life science resources out there that are more age appropriate. They'd be far more entertaining than trying to tame down an older subject for them.

• Like 1

If you are set on doing Chemistry, I would try Inquiry in Action.  They did it at co-op last year and it went really well. I own Christian kids Explore Chemistry and it seems too high for a 1st and 3rd grader. On the major plus side, Inquiry in Action is free. =)  See link below.  We did the The Elements by Ellen McHenry last year and I liked that (with 2nd and 3rd grade) but I wish we had done Inquiry in Action.

http://www.inquiryinaction.org/download/

• Like 2

If you are set on doing Chemistry, I would try Inquiry in Action.  They did it at co-op last year and it went really well. I own Christian kids Explore Chemistry and it seems too high for a 1st and 3rd grader. On the major plus side, Inquiry in Action is free. =)  See link below.  We did the The Elements by Ellen McHenry last year and I liked that (with 2nd and 3rd grade) but I wish we had done Inquiry in Action.

http://www.inquiryinaction.org/download/

Inquiry in Action looks good. Thank you cintinative!

OP, I forgot to mention that we did try Mr Q's Chemistry before switching to The Elements.  I would have gone to Inquiry in Action but I didn't switch until mid-year.

Mine were 2nd and 3rd grade last year and we all found Mr. Q's Chemistry boring. It was too high for them in some ways, and also very very few of the experiments worked as written. I had to redo/look up on YouTube the correct method of many of them. And there was the stereotypical "demonstration" called an experiment which you hear many people complain about on here.  My youngest loves hands-on so I thought it would be a great year but I just was not impressed.  There were a lot of typos and text errors also.  Personally I would not recommend it at all for your ages of kids.  

• Like 1

DD completed a year of chemistry last year at age 7. Finding chemistry resources for that age is hard.

I wish I had my blog up-to-date, so you could see what we did. Here's a link to our first block.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/2015/06/chemistry-atoms-molecules-block-1.html

Another helpful link...

http://www.rebeccaruppresources.com/?p=6484

We used Fizz, Bubble & Flash! coupled with corresponding video clips from http://www.periodicvideos.com/ for our study of elements during our last block.

I recently wrote my own chemistry lesson plans using living books to teach my 6th grade and 3rd grade dds together. I wasn't trying to do a thorough coverage of chemistry but just the basics (atoms, matter, elements, periodic table). My plans are here on my blog if you want to look them over and see if you can use something.

• Like 2

I have a 2nd and 4th grader. We just started Chemistry. I use Elemental Science program. She outlines a two or a five day science plan. All of the lessons are right there, she also gives you a list of books to go from and then offers an experiment kit that has everything you need to run your experiments. 

My two daughters loved Pandia Press's Real Science Odyssey Chemistry when they were in 2nd and 4th. I think it would be great for 1st and 3rd. The experiments were just the right level, and the explanations are simple but clear. RSO Chemistry was our favorite year of science. I got all the supplies at the beginning of the year, and it was open and go.

We are using Pandia Press's Chemistry as well.  We have used their life science as well.  We tried Mr. Q for earth science and didn't love it.  So we are back to Pandia.  My kids like it, and I find it really easy to execute.  We are supplementing with library books just because the kids are really excited about chemistry this year.  They are 3rd and 4th grade.

Thank you everyone for your ideas and input. After looking through everything and doing some reassessing, I've decided to focus on life science with my kids this year. We will probably give chemistry another try next year. I'm excited to have so many chemistry resources to look to in the future.

• Like 2