Menu

Analytical Grammar

parias1126

Please tell me about Analytical Grammar. I have never used it before, have only reviewed some samples, and really lost on what I need to purchase. 

I was not going to spend this much money on a Grammar program, but my son really needs something that starts from the beginning and is still on grade level. It looks like this program is going to be the best fit. 

He was literally in tears last night when I put a placement test in from of him for CLE LA. He has spent the last 3 years in public school and is starting 6th grade this year. They didn't teach grammar so he has forgotten everything he previously learned as a homeschooler from FLL. 

He cried, had tears everywhere, and said, "Mom, I'm so stupid!". I can't have this. I had tears in my eyes. This is after experiencing a horrible bullying situation at the end of his 5th grade year (the reason he's homeschooled again). 

I need to place some orders because I so far behind this year. I think I'm pretty set on this program, but not sure where to start and what to order. I would like to use it for both my 6th and 7th grader. Do I need to order extra books? 1 set or 2? etc? 

I haven't used AG yet, though I intend to begin this year. You would need one copy of the teacher's manual, but two of the student if you are going to use it with both of your children. Then you can decide if you think the DVDs would be helpful to you as well, but they are not required. Hope that helps. Sorry I don't have more first hand experience. I actually settled on AG for very similar reasons.

Kaci

We are using AG and love it. It starts at the beginning and assumes that the student has had no formal grammar instruction, and the notes are written to the student so they work independently. (You will need to check the student's work daily but don't need to provide any actual instruction.). The DVDs are optional, but would be good for a child who really needs to see & hear a lesson before doing the work.

When I describe AG, I use terms like efficient, thorough, and meaty. It's not easy and its not fluff, but it's not so hard that a 6th grader can't do it. It covers 3 full years of grammar, but you only spend 10-18 weeks doing grammar each year of middle school. Then for the remainder of that year, you will do one review page every two weeks.

You need to buy one teacher manual, plus one student book and one review book per student. This covers 3 full years of grammar.

• Like 1