Menu

Are your kids starting to leave for college?

MBM

My son is living at home but is an ambassador at his college.  His activities started Tuesday with a meet and greet for student staff (he has been working there all summer but this was when he met school year only student staff).  Wednesday was training and preparations for student move in days.  Thursday was new student move in day, Friday was orientation, Saturday was filled with activities, and today is move in day for returning students followed by a bonfire tonight.  He has been putting in 8-14 hour days on campus on top of working an off campus job and getting his own school stuff in order.  Classes start tomorrow and this entire week is filled with evening activities where the student staff must be present.  He is exhausted but enjoying this busy time.  He says that he is glad that he is living at home- especially after being in charge of two move in days and seeing all that they entail. 

• Like 2

When we left, they were instructing their son on his schedule for the evening.

I sure hope he realizes he can ditch their schedule (other than any college planned deals) and have a blast becoming himself... which may or may not reflect their picture of who he ought to be.

Of course, the other part of me hopes he can become himself without going overboard now that he has a chance to figure out who he is.  It sure can be tough for those who haven't had the luxury during their teen years to start doing this.

Then, of course, this all depends upon his being neurotypical and not truly needing that extra special touch.  Some do.  But from your description of the room, I'd be betting on this not being the case.  Most terrific parents of the non-NT try to be very considerate of roommate space to help ensure there aren't issues from that later.

Switching to my guys, youngest is on a plane as I type.  Our house is empty.  Hubby went off to work and I'm about to go out and search for some new work clothes for myself (lost weight = need for better fitting clothes when working with teens rather than ponies!).

Even though it's our second year of empty nesting, it still seems strange after a summer with boys and family fun again.  (sigh)

Less laundry.  Less cooking.  Less expense when we go out. Less schedule tweaking. Those are all pros until I consider that they go along with less fun from the camaraderie.   But my guys love having reached adulthood and flying into their own worlds making a difference along the way.  I love watching that too.  Time marches on - ready or not!  I'd have never been content sticking around my parents forever living in my room or the basement.  Neither are my guys.  But it is fun when we all get together again!

• Like 4

My son is now actively packing, and he pops into my "office" every few minutes to chat in great, enthusiastic detail about what category of clothing/accessories/dorm supplies is going into which piece of luggage. I'm putting on my happy and interested face as long as he's in the room, but I'm getting less excited every day about taking him back. I remember what it felt like last year after he moved into the dorm, and I am not looking forward to hitting that wall again.

He is really, really happy to be heading back, though. So, I'm trying to adjust my attitude and focus on that.

• Like 3

I've been very busy finishing up a faculty seminar and setting up for my own teaching gigs. My first college class was Monday night, and I have another online faculty seminar starting Sunday. Everything else starts after Labor Day.

My younger one had her wisdom teeth out Monday, and we won't start most of her schooling until next week other than a few pre-class AP assignments that are due Monday.

Oldest is going to college locally and is pretty self-sufficient with a few questions here-and-there. He's doing well thinking about what the different professors want and figuring out how to get to class on time. He didn't need one textbook after all, so we're going to return that. Apparently the art professor at the larger campus uses it, but not his professor.  Ordering and picking books is done by the larger campus.

I realized yesterday that the van was almost empty, and he had never filled it up himself, so we had to take care of that. I meant to get him his own credit card to handle that sort of thing, so that's on the weekend to-do list.

It's still hard though. Even having him going to school locally, I still get misty-eyed. They grow up so fast!

• Like 1

I am on the road now, making the 530 mile drive to drop my college boy off for his second year away. He is a newly licensed driver- as of yesterday- and is taking his mandated turn at the wheel right now. He doesn't really love driving but I gently reminded him that this gig of driving back and forth to college will be on him come next year. 😄

• Like 2

Did the move-in today with my firstborn. I am so excited and happy for her. :) We all had some glassy eyes at departure time, but it was okay. My little boy shed some tears, though; he is very attached to her.

It helps that she is only 2 1/2 hrs from home and a half-hour from our family vacation home (where I am at present). We will see her here for Labor Day. :)

• Like 4

Yesterday we put older dd on a plane to the UK for fall semester of sophomore year.  She arrived okay (first time flying by herself) and is already booking travel plans for the coming weekends -- they have a 4 day school week and are expected to spend their free time exploring the UK and Europe.  

We'll be visiting her later this semester (woot! -- taking her to Paris!).  I think we're all too giddy with excitement about the whole thing to be weepy.

• Like 6

Well, it's done. 

I drove my son back to campus Saturday evening, helped him cart stuff to his room, took him shopping for groceries and a few necessary replacement items (new bicycle pump, new wastebasket, longer extension cord, etc.), gave him a hug and drove back home.

He intentionally took a lot less "stuff" this year than he did last year, both in the hopes that it will help him maintain his room more easily and so that, if he does end up switching rooms during open room change week, he will have less to haul. Once he saw his assigned room and met his roommates, though, he pretty much decided that, unless he has the opportunity to move into one of the apartment-style dorms (which would get him a kitchen), he's likely to stay put. He's in a triple, but it's much roomier than the one to which he was initially assigned last year and has bit windows with a nice view of the campus. His roommates seem pleasant and quiet, and the dorm building is close to both the main cafeteria and the theatre. 

We chatted briefly last night. He's happy to be back and reconnecting with friends. He's very much looking forward to his Monday/Wednesday schedule, which is back-to-back dance classes. He has his first audition of the academic year tomorrow, which will determine which vocal ensemble he'll be joining this semester. And he's anxious to get started on rehearsals for the student dance group he formed last year. 

It has worked out that I'm not working today, and the house feels very quiet. 

• Like 6

Dd20 moved into her dorm yesterday :) It's a small, older building in a great location for her (she and her roommate chose it)----very near to the English building, adjacent to a brand-new dining hall, and across the street from the student center where her theatre group has its offices and rehearsal space.

• Like 3

Nan what happens when the skylight gets covered with snow? Hopefully they have some good lighting in there to help compensate.

Good question. The wallpaper is dark blue. The floor is dark wood. I don,t think even three lamps is going to brighten the place much. One of the common rooms is sunny with big windows, and he,s not likely to be in his room much during the day anyway, so I guess we just hope for the best. Guess he,s going to wake up some strange lighting weekends when he sleeps late. He might be able to pull off the screen and get an arm out to clear a corner off. Maybe. I suspect the house is going to be a bear to heat and they are going to wind up covering the windows with plastic, anyway, to keep down the heating costs. It should be interesting. The house feels very homy, with it,s mishmash of old furniture and wallpaper and wood floors. The common areas are nice. I felt good about leaving him there. The roommates are older and seem nice. There is laundry. It isn,t in the dirt-floored basement, which is really nice. You have to duck to walk around down there. It is worthy of a haunted house. A warren of little dank, unlit rooms. The location is perfect, though, which is the most important thing. He,ll just have to put up with the rest.

Nan

• Like 4

We dropped DD off a little over a week ago.  Note to self:  do NOT listen to country music on the way to drop-off. Country music can make me cry at the drop-of-a-hat--let alone on drop-off day!  I cried on the way up, but I did not cry any other time.  She has a great roommate.  The apartment-style dorm is awesome.  Her school is beautiful. The chancellor is awesome.  Her professors seem great. There was really no reason for me to cry after I saw how things would be for her.  God is good!  I am so excited to see her blossom into a self-confident and competent woman.  

You are SO RIGHT.  Country music is a killer.  Don't ever listen when you are sad, because it will fit whatever is making you sad.  When my sister died, I had to avoid country music like the plague for a year or two. 

Whatever you do, do NOT watch, "You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins. 

I made this mistake a couple of weeks ago, when two were ready to leave and fell apart. (And I've already had a lot of losses anyway, so that didn't help). 

• Like 2

I'm back from dropping off DS.  What a trip that was.  It was pleasantly strange and disconcerting.  This was the one school we didn't tour so everything was new.  I am still in awe that this is where he ended up.  The campus is beautiful.  The town is historic.  The region is delightful.

DS was happy with his room; the largest room on the floor.  The girls were peeking in and complaining about how the minimalist boys got the most room while they were cramped into tiny spaces.  DS and his roommate are going to make a sitting area in the empty space.  DS and his roommate appear to be getting along.  They didn't have much time to spend together as DS was leaving for an Outdoor Leadership experience and his roommate was remaining on campus to volunteer with the local community.

I don't know if I was glutened or just ill from nerves but I remained on campus longer than anticipated for easy access to facilities and was able to attend the president's welcome as well as meet with a few deans.  I'm glad it worked out that way because many of my reservations were alleviated and I was able to drive away at peace with where DS will be for the next four years.  It won't be an easy four years but I hope DS will be able to find his place.

• Like 5