Menu

6th Grade Math - Singapore, should I change or supplement?

Pour in

My DD11 is starting Singapore Math 6A.  We've been very happy with Singapore and have used it exclusively since 1st grade.  My issue is that starting in 6A (standards) there is no Home Instructor Guide.  

I have found the HIG in previous years to really provide more depth and understanding in the program.  The answer keys came in handy too to help me check work quickly.   I don't have time to go through and work each problem in her assignments myself (even though it is only 6th grade math :001_rolleyes:).

I'm now thinking without the HIG she may not get as much out of it and I may have to put more into it.  

Which causes me to question whether another math program would be better for us or even if I should do Singapore plus another?  I'm considering Saxon (7/6?) and even wonder about Dr Callahans Jacobs math.  Or perhaps I shell out the $$ and buy the Classroom Teacher Guide for 6A (106$ for the year)?  But from the little I can tell online it doesn't look nearly as user friendly or useful.  Have any of you found yourself in the same situation - loving Singapore but wondering what to do in 6th? switching from the HIG to the teacher's guide?  Or have any of you done something completely different in 6th and you're glad you did? 

Thanks in advance!

I assume you are using Standards because I believe US has a HIG. I purchased the teacher's guides. We haven't started yet but they really don't look so bad. There is an answer key if you don't want to purchase the TGs. I think the one you need covers grades 4-6.

ETA: Grade 6 covers a lot of the same topics at grade 5, but to a greater depth. You may find that you do okay without the TG.

• Like 3

I agree with SevenDaisies. You'll be fine without the instructor guide. I believe there may have been one section that I needed to ask for support with b/c of singapore's unique method, other than that using the inexpensive answer key worked fine. 

My oldest used their new 7A, 7B, 8A, 8B which integrates Algebra and Geometry. She received a very solid education in Algebra. We skipped a few of the later Geometry chapters in 8, since she will do a full Geometry class this year in 9th grade. My son will start this same sequence with 7A in a few weeks. If the Singapore style works well for your children, their junior high level books are fantastic and challenging.

• Like 2

I agree with SevenDaisies. You'll be fine without the instructor guide. I believe there may have been one section that I needed to ask for support with b/c of singapore's unique method, other than that using the inexpensive answer key worked fine. 

My oldest used their new 7A, 7B, 8A, 8B which integrates Algebra and Geometry. She received a very solid education in Algebra. We skipped a few of the later Geometry chapters in 8, since she will do a full Geometry class this year in 9th grade. My son will start this same sequence with 7A in a few weeks. If the Singapore style works well for your children, their junior high level books are fantastic and challenging.

How did I not know there was a SM 7 and 8???  Cool!

• Like 1

thank you coffeemama!  This is actually quite helpful.  After reading TWTM I know I'd like a year of Geometry but wasn't sure how to fit it in the sequence.  I'm so glad to hear the jr. high level books are so good - for some reason I have always assumed I'd need to switch to something else for jr high, but we've been so pleased with Singapore so far that the idea of keeping with it sounds wonderful!  thanks again!  :001_smile:

I assume you are using Standards because I believe US has a HIG. I purchased the teacher's guides. We haven't started yet but they really don't look so bad. There is an answer key if you don't want to purchase the TGs. I think the one you need covers grades 4-6.

ETA: Grade 6 covers a lot of the same topics at grade 5, but to a greater depth. You may find that you do okay without the TG.

Thank you SevenDaisies!  In all these years I never knew there was an optional answer key pamphlet (using the HIG I didn't need another key) but it didn't occur to me to scroll past the year we were on to see what else was offered.   But since you said the teacher's guides don't look so bad maybe I'll just invest in those... nice to know I have an option.  thanks again! :001_smile:

I am so glad to hear good things about this set. We are taking the plunge with 7A soon. I really liked the looks of it, but so few people seem to speak up about the books that I've been concerned. 

• Like 1