Menu

What's everyone worried about for this school year?

Let's get them off our chests.

For me, it's writing. I intend (maybe hope is a better word?) to focus more on writing this year now that the basics in reading have been mastered. Having said that (sigh) I know my two oldest still need to work dilligently in improving their reading - especially in fluency and advanced phonics. Still, I'm worried there's going to be too much writing for them (I've gone with W&R Fable for various reasons) or too much original thought or they won't like the fables, or they just won't like it. I have WWE3 waiting in the wings just in case, but I'm not sure that's right either! The dictations were getting to be too much by the end of WWE2 so I'd like to give it a year.

Apart from academics, I'm worried about keeping my cool around my strong-willed dsd (nearly 9). We know how to push allllll of each others buttons. I *know* most of it stems from terrible insecurity. Sometimes I can be the adult and guide her, other times I just can't. Having just finished reading Mindset, I can see how terrified she is that someone might think she's less than perfect (newsflash! we all are! It's okay!) and how that brings about these behaviours, but at this point I'm floundering around trying to help her - I'm working on pinpointing what to do next. In the meantime, it can make for some incredibly difficult school days and I DREAD that. Trying to keep it in perspective - the awful days aren't every day, probably not too much more than once a week. But man, they stick with me and I feel terribly guilty.

Any one else?

• Like 3

Oh my.  This school year has me terrified.  I keep making lists and charts and schedules and meal plans, hoping that by writing things down and planning in minute detail, I will able to get everything done this year.  I am not a planner by nature, I don't stick to schedules well.  Routines are very hard for me.  And this summer has been exceptionally fun, so I have a sneaking suspicion that getting back to "work" might be tough. 

I am adding in a 3rd kid this year for kindergarten, and my littlest will be doing preschool 2 mornings a week, and my oldest will be playing in the middle school band every other day (so it changes weekly), and my 2nd still requires a lot of hand-holding, and we have co-op, DH is in graduate classes, and I have a job.....I feel overcommitted and I really do want to get the important things done and I really want to enjoy it!  In the past, a loose, do-the-next-thing schedule has worked out well, but we didn't have as much to do and the kids were younger.  This years plan works out on paper, but reality is always so different. 

If things don't work out, we will quit co-op for next semester.  If it's really bad, band is optional, too.   

Thanks for letting me get that out. 

• Like 3

I feel that I've finally hit my stride with actual teaching and am very confident about it.

But this year oldest goes into 8th grade so I will be spending my evenings and weekends researching high school level curric and how in the world you ever get a person into college. I am a bit resentful that just when I got the teaching part of schooling mastered, now I have to put on the guidance counsellor hat and learn about college issues from the ground up.

Will there ever be a year where we can just float along, resting on our laurels??? There's always something new to conquer.

• Like 6

I feel that I've finally hit my stride with actual teaching and am very confident about it.

But this year oldest goes into 8th grade so I will be spending my evenings and weekends researching high school level curric and how in the world you ever get a person into college. I am a bit resentful that just when I got the teaching part of schooling mastered, now I have to put on the guidance counsellor hat and learn about college issues from the ground up.

Will there ever be a year where we can just float along, resting on our laurels??? There's always something new to conquer.

Honestly, getting them into college is not that difficult. Getting them into a college you can afford and offers the courses they need.....that can be more of a challenge. ;)

• Like 7

French has me nervous. History always gets me growling a few weeks in. 

I think my biggest concern this year is going to be the oscillation between independence and dependence. The boys are at the age where they want (and can) be trusted to do their work, either chores or academics, without being reminded. However, their ability to do that is only about 50-50 right now. I never know when they need me to put them and keep them on track or if they simply need me to shut up and sit down. I can't read facial expressions very well. I really wish they had tails that they could thrash when they are getting irritated with me. That, I understand! :laugh:

• Like 3

motivating my student, I have one that just does not want to work and well, I'm just not in the mood to deal with it, but I know I need too. I've already set the rules, gone over the rules and the consequences and will be writing the rules down and posting them. I also plan to write the rules on the first page of their notebook/planners so there's no way he can say he doesn't know the rules when he receives a consequence for his actions. Math and writing are two areas that worry me as well but, I feel if we can conquer the attitude, then that's half the battle.

• Like 7

Writing, AAGH! Ds 10yo needs help with writing mechanics, handwriting has shown little improvement in 3 years, capitalization rules don't translate to the page, everything is about minimizing the act of writing. I can't correct everything at once or there is a break-down, so I pick one thing to work on then lose confidence and switch to a different thing and eventually the two of us are just chasing our tails.

"Will the schedule work?" Is a low-level concern that will hopefully dissipate by the end of the week, fingers-crossed.

• Like 2

There are a couple of things that worry me regarding my youngest son. He will be doing 7th grade level work and the reading required across curriculum is going to be a huge pill to swallow. The other issue is that is older brother will be going to high school (in order to play a sport :crying: ) and his oldest brother is a senior, but he takes 3 of his classes at the local cc and will be out of the house quite a bit. So, my youngest will be here alone. A. LOT. And he's the most social of the 3.

Yeah, I'm worried. Hopefully there will be a short transition, and then it will be smooth sailing. ;)

• Like 3

I'm most worried about how the 3.5 year old DS will cause havoc. ;-). He has developed an annoying habit this summer of just asking over and over again "What can I do? What can I do?" - any time his brothers aren't directly playing with him. And he never likes my suggestions in answer to the question, since it is really code words for "I want to play with someone". Since there will certainly be at least some times where no one is available to play with him (or DS6 doesn't always WANT to play with him), he will need to do better at playing on his own, but my fear is that we are going to be doing a lot of school work with that in the background, at least at first....lol

• Like 1

I'm pretty much overwhelmed by EVERYTHING right now that needs to be done for ds (speech therapy, OT, more things for speech therapy that the SLP can't get to, multiple learning disabilities, extra currics, you name it), but I'm not worried.  I really have to BELIEVE this will work and pre-visualize success.  Otherwise, I just get really caught up in my fears and unable to do things from the anxious thoughts of what if I do it wrong, etc.  So I choose to believe this will WORK, that we will make progress, and that at the year's end we will have seen some good things happen.

And that's what I'm sticking with.  :)

• Like 5

My biggest worry is whether I'll be able to successfully juggle working and teaching - my work is super busy right now, usually a down/slow time.  Also how doing significant home repairs will affect both school and work.

I'm also . . . challenged? concerned? ok, worried - about how my efforts to shift my style with my younger dd to better match her needs and wants will work out.  I'm really going to make a huge effort this year to give her the kind of school she needs, but it's going to feel unnatural at first, and I think I will worry that she's not "on track" particularly with writing. Writing instruction is going to look really different than it did with my previous 4th grader, and I'm trying to have faith in the outcome. 

• Like 5

I'm also . . . challenged? concerned? ok, worried - about how my efforts to shift my style with my younger dd to better match her needs and wants will work out.  I'm really going to make a huge effort this year to give her the kind of school she needs, but it's going to feel unnatural at first, and I think I will worry that she's not "on track" particularly with writing. Writing instruction is going to look really different than it did with my previous 4th grader, and I'm trying to have faith in the outcome. 

That is the way it is at my house too, my daughters are so different so I'm working on getting my head wrapped around changing things up. I think it is going ok, although I do have spaz moments about the differences and trusting the fact that there are many roads to reach our goals. I'm excited about what we are doing though and the opportunity to grow and nurture other aspects of me. I think all in all it will be a help to me as a teacher and person.

• Like 4

My biggest concern is me... finite patience, a toddler, pregnancy, and a newborn in March. I'm praying that my limitations don't come out onto my children in a negative way... and that I will be wise enough to choose sleep over all the other tempting options in my evening hours.

• Like 5

My biggest concern is me... finite patience, a toddler, pregnancy, and a newborn in March. I'm praying that my limitations don't come out onto my children in a negative way... and that I will be wise enough to choose sleep over all the other tempting options in my evening hours.

Good luck, sounds like it will be a challenging year for you. A few years back I was in a similar spot with my last pregnancy, we did a lot of couch schooling and edu videos.

• Like 1

I have a couple concerns.  My first is that we had a water leak several months ago, but we are still waiting on the insurance and contractor to work together so we can get it fixed.  Right now the boys are sleeping in the living room on couches because their room is torn up, DD's bedroom is also torn up though she can sleep in there, and the main bathroom is torn up.  So we have piles of boxes in the family room and dining room where we normally do all of our schoolwork.  Trying to work around boxes, and (hopefully soon) construction is going to be a huge challenge.

But my biggest concern is working with three children who each have challenging needs to be met.  DD used to work well independently, but she has been having trouble with anxiety and panic attacks.  She is also not putting much effort into getting her work done and needs me to be there keeping her on task or she won't do anything.  My boys have always needed me to be very hands on, but adding in DD needing a lot of hands on is really pushing my limits and time.

I am also trying to figure out what to do with my older DS who has dyslexia and dygraphia.  We would love to get him the recommended therapy, but we can't afford it.  So I am trying to decide if I can remediate him well enough at home.  I have a plan in place, but I have no idea if it will work or if I will just end up not being able to do enough.  I have thought of public school, but having worked with them before I know that even with my limited knowledge and resources I can do more at home than he would get there.

My youngest has OCD and ODD, and possible Autism and even on good days he is draining.  I don't even want to think about the not so good days.  I love him to death, but he by himself takes all my energy.  So with all of these challenges with my children I just fear I won't have enough time in the day to devote to each one and help them to reach their potential.  I really feel like a failure sometimes.

• Like 3

We are moving internationally five days before school starts. If we're ready for everyone to go to work, school, or start his online classes that day, then I'll pretty much consider the whole school year a success. Not really, of course, but I can't even think about school now and it's lucky I planned things in May. If that plan even works.

i  was just thinking about this.  im worried about....everything.  we  just moved across the country  and, until dh finds a job, we are living in a camper on my parents' property.  i didnt get as far as i wanted last year due to packing for the move, now our whole life is upside  down and hoping we  can keep our focus and deal with our emotions in a way that doesnt stop headway again.  im trying hard to under schedule so that im not stressed but all it looks like to me, on paper, is another under achieving year..   :( Oh and music.  im worried about the kids'  music.   Dd is a 2nd seat violist who played in an orchestra and ds plays the trumpet and  was in a large brass band.  there is nooooooo music suppport here of any kind.  so that is completely on hold.  we cant even find lessons within 60 miles.  That further depresses the kids.   we are trying to make the best of it all; I just have no idea how it's all going to affect our school year progression.  One day at a time....

• Like 1

Wow! We really take on a lot don't we? I feel so much better knowing we're all worried about something. . . honestly, at this point, I think we should all pat ourselves (and each other!) on the back. I feel like if we're this worried about the school year, then we're probaby going to do all right.

Maybe things won't go as planned, maybe our fears will come to fruition, but if they do, well, hey, we've already got our heads and radars up and we'll deal. We'll talk to someone, do some research, and make a new plan.

And if they don't? Even better! Either way we win.

This isn't just talk, I really do feel relieved. Thank you everyone :)

• Like 3

- Balancing outside the house stuff with inside the house stuff

- Keeping my own sanity, this will be my first year not working outside the house and I was never built to be a SAHP

- Motivating myself to keep up with science. Love BFSU in general, but I forget to read ahead!

• Like 1

This is our first year doing online classes, and we're all NervousExcited. It's my second year of grad school, but last year I only took one class at a time and didn't teach on campus. This year is going to be more like my first ''real'' year of grad school, hence the outsourcing. It comes at a good time, because my kids really need to feel themselves academically accountable to someone other me, and I'm starting to really feel the homeschool burnout. Still, I'm afraid they'll crash and burn and so will I.

Time.

I'm enrolled in college (online classes) this semester, tutoring for five hours per week, DS is enrolled in college this fall for classes but I know Comp I is going to need hand-holding, and schooling five kiddos and still working through Barton with three.  Did I mention I have a LIPS workshop scheduled in September so I can do that with the 5yo?   I'm a smidgen worried about TIME.

(Which is why I should be printing up my detailed lesson plans for my independent kids rather than posting here, lol.)

Insanely grateful I have the two most content toddlers of my entire life.  My goal for next weekend is to make at least ten pounds of play-dough.  :P :D

• Like 3

We started when my daughter was 4. She's now in 10th and I haven't found such a year yet. :)

My worries this year:

• real college visits start this year for us
  • first AP class is this year
  • several of her classes (including English with a wonderful teacher) are through a relatively new program from one of our public schools which lets us retain our homeschool status. Our state still hasn't finished the budget, has been chopping education to bits from K-college the last few years, and the schools have no idea how much money they will gain or lose, so I worry that the program  may get axed or substantially altered mid-year. I am keeping back-up plans in place until courses are completed.
  • as an offshoot of the last item, drivers' ed has been suspended at the local schools until (and if) the state settles on whether or not they'll fund it (one version of the budget axes it completely, one funds it). A few years ago it went from being free to being $55 (or $65) when taken through the schools and being required to take it through your assigned county only. Now it may be gone for everyone, there aren't very many private driving schools in the area and the cost for it is about $400. You have to have drivers' ed to get a learner's permit if you are under 18 here (not to mention the insurance difference). Maddening, since I have a newly-15 year old!

I'm most worried about folding my son into our day. I've had a really good rhythm with the girls for two years now, but FINALLY my son is showing some interest in learning things so we're going to do a very gentle, preschool year. I am just having trouble envisioning where to fit him in.

My other worry is time management. Grace is taking two co-op classes this year and it's a 45 minute drive one way to get there, so I'll be making that drive three days a week. Needless to say I'll be doing quite a bit of school with Sophia and Levi at a nearby library.

• Like 1

1. Consistency / making school a priority.

Getting everyone up-to-date on math.  We moved last year and everyone is a bit behind where I'd like them to be.  The one I'm really concerned with is my oldest, the rest should be caught up by mid-year.  I'm hoping to have her caught up by next summer.

My 17mo old.  I have always struggled while HSing with a toddler this age.  Once they get to be 2.5 or so they seem to play on their own more.  From the moment they start walking until they reach this age has been a nightmare to work around!  Last year I constantly had someone "assigned" to my DS, but this year I'm hoping to have everyone completing their work at once.

Laundry getting done every day.  There just isn't enough time on the weekends!  

Finding other HSers.  We just moved and my DC haven't made any close friends.  I'm hoping that will change when we get more involved with other HSers.

• Like 2

Special needs.

My one with special needs (autism spectrum, ADHD, OCD) is entering middle school age. He's always been harder to parent and school. Hormones with his other issues...oh my some days are just so difficult and discouraging. I'm not sure how to handle those days and issues. I'm not sure how to balance working on special needs issues with academic stuff (he's so smart; he's also disabled). If it were just him, I think I would be doing a whole bunch of special needs stuff. But then his twin! I'm not sure how to balance the needs of both kids, particularly when one takes an inordinate amount of time and energy.

• Like 1

Energy.

I have mono.  I've had it for months, and it is taking its time leaving.  Some days I can literally sleep 17 hours straight. I just need energy to get them out and about more.  I'm setting stuff up for independent work and enlisting the help of some of my adult children for other things.  Between the mono, thyroid issues, and menopause, I'm a slug. :(

• Like 2

My greatest worry is scheduling (not academics, thank goodness). Dd15 will be taking an in-person class at the university, 4 credits MTWF. She will be taking an asynchronous online AP English class. She will be doing bio in a semester block during the fall and AP Environmental Science in a semester block, plus three year-long AP classes, all with me. Add in ballet four days a week (two being double classes) and Model UN on another night.

We still don't know which Arabic course level dd will take-----beginning in two weeks :eek: She returned from immersion camp last night and will be meeting with an Arabic prof this week for placement evaluation. One level has two sections, 9:30am or 10:30 am. The higher level has one section at 12:30. Based on what she said as she flipped through the next textbook in the series, it looks like she'll be in the advanced beginner/intermediate level, the one that meets at lunchtime. Oy.

Energy.

I have mono.  I've had it for months, and it is taking its time leaving.  Some days I can literally sleep 17 hours straight. I just need energy to get them out and about more.  I'm setting stuff up for independent work and enlisting the help of some of my adult children for other things.  Between the mono, thyroid issues, and menopause, I'm a slug. :(

:seeya:   Nice to see you around.  Sorry you've been so sick!!

• Like 1