Menu

shingles

flyingiguana

The drug is more effective the sooner it is started. My 11 year old got shingles. I saw the rash and got her in to the doctor that day. She was better (no new blisters, all crusted over) in a week.

You can't catch shingles, but you can catch chicken pox from the blisters. My DD's were on her hand where it would transmit easily, so she was basically quarantined for a week. People who have had chicken pox are fine, but people who have been vaccinated can get it (usually milder). We had an infant under one and a 2 year old, so she stayed upstairs away from them or with my mom.

My 10 yo got shingles and she got the meds--- but it took me a week to see if she needed to go to the DR-- so it took longer to heal.  

Shingles rashes don't cross the spinal cord-- so it will be on one side of the body, but not both. 

It follows a nerve. 

What confused me about my daughter was she got it on her leg and the nerve starts on the lower back, goes through the butt, and down and around the leg-- it "seemed" to cross the spine, but really it didn't.

You can get shingles at any age, but it does tend to mean that the person is immunocompromised. I would look at diet, stress levels, and probably get a general checkup to see if there is anything problematic. 

That's not always the case, but it would prompt me to take a closer look.

I went to the doctor within a day of noticing the rash (my doctor dad diagnosed it over the phone for me when I said I had a rash just on one side of my abdomen and I then went to see my doctor in person the next day). The meds worked very well--never had any pain.

Agreeing with others that getting her to a doctor would be best. I had shingles last summer and got a prescription within a day of getting a rash. I didn't want to go to the doctors as I thought it was nothing, but my mom persuaded me. I am glad she did as I had no idea it was shingles.

I had it about 18 months ago. We didn't have insurance so my dr prescribed the cheaper drug that you have to take every four hours. I took the Rx and lysine every 4 and advil every 8. I only ever had one red spot that didn't blister, I really think the lysine helped. It hurt really bad!

Our big question at this point: She's supposed to be starting a job working with incoming international students.  They'll be from all over -- Norway, various African countries, etc.  Is their resistance to chicken pox going to be any different than what one would expect from the US population?

I'm thinking she should just stay home until the blisters are crusted over.  Even though shingles supposedly isn't as contagious as chickenpox, there's still that chance and it would be a bummer for some new student to come down with it several weeks into the semester.  Particularly a student that is far from home.  But if chickenpox immunity is much higher outside the US, then maybe it isn't even a concern.

And I've kind of forgotten how long it will be before the blisters are no longer oozing.  How long should she tell her boss that she might be out?

Her rash and blisters were already pretty well developed by the time the idea of shingles occurred to me, so she's inclined to skip the dr and just wait it out, seeing as the internet has told us that the medicine won't be very effective now.  She's not terribly sick.  Just kind of blah and her arm hurts quite a bit. Ibuprofen is helping a lot.

She just wants to lay around, but maybe that's only because she hasn't had much time off since starting college.

And I've kind of forgotten how long it will be before the blisters are no longer oozing.  How long should she tell her boss that she might be out?

Her rash and blisters were already pretty well developed by the time the idea of shingles occurred to me, so she's inclined to skip the dr and just wait it out, seeing as the internet has told us that the medicine won't be very effective now.  She's not terribly sick.  Just kind of blah and her arm hurts quite a bit. Ibuprofen is helping a lot.

She just wants to lay around, but maybe that's only because she hasn't had much time off since starting college.

A few more days.

Depending on where the blisters are, she could try dabbing honey on them. Seriously. The honey will be very soothing and help with healing. Put a little honey in a cup or small glass, dampen the end of a cotton swab, dip it in the honey, dab it on the blisters. I promise it helps. I had shingles on my face, and I *loved* the honey.

If she feels like lying around, let her. She is sick, poor thing.

If she feels like lying around, let her. She is sick, poor thing.

I'm actually wondering if this is a good thing.  It might give her the vacation she wanted.  If she misses a few more days of work, she'll miss all the training and they may not want her for the job any more.  I'm guessing there are liability issues -- that she has to complete all the training before she's allowed to work with the new students.

She has another job that pays better, once she feels like doing something.  So it's not a big loss except that the job she might lose looked like it might be interesting.  But... one can't do everything.