Menu

Open and Go Grammar - little time requirement from parent?

parias1126

I am looking for a grammar program for both my DD13 and DS11. I used Easy Grammar this past year with my DD and prior to that used GWG. I'm thinking of going back to GWG since it teaches the diagramming of sentences which I think is important.

Easy Grammar always worked well for my oldest (who is now graduated), but it didn't work as well for my younger DD. She did do well with GWG, but I'm looking for other options. Are there any?

We have just jumped into CLE LA this year. My oldest who is in 5th has had no problems and he does it almost completely on his own. It may not be that hard of a transition since there is usually some review in the beginning.

We have just jumped into CLE LA this year. My oldest who is in 5th has had no problems and he does it almost completely on his own. It may not be that hard of a transition since there is usually some review in the beginning.

My son just came out of public school after being there for 3rd, 4th, and most of 5th (I removed him 5 weeks before school was over). He only had grammar when he was homeschooled K-2 and has forgotten everything. :( I think the transition to CLE would be difficult for him. I love the program and would love to put both of my children there, but I don't see the switch being easy for my son. Possibly my daughter, but definitely not my son. I would love to use CLE if I could. Maybe I will have them take the placement test this week and see what happens. My son is definitely all over the place though when it comes to grammar, spelling, and writing. 

I also looked at Analytical Grammar, and although it looks like a fantastic program and one I'd use, I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on a grammar program. I was looking for something that costs less. I may check our local used homeschool bookstore. 

I agree with Bree. We just started it this year. We did the placement test and started where it said. The transition has been very smooth and my 4th and 6th grader do it completely independently.

I am printing out the placement test right now. You have all talked me into it. :) I already use CLE Math so this would really just make sense for us. They love CLE math. 

• Like 2

We use (the new) Fix It grammar. Admittedly we're only a week in so take this with a grain of salt. The first day of the week is the most teacher involvement (and that was minimal imo)and then after that they do the work and you just check it.

• Like 2

We use (the new) Fix It grammar. Admittedly we're only a week in so take this with a grain of salt. The first day of the week is the most teacher involvement (and that was minimal imo)and then after that they do the work and you just check it.

We've been using this too.  We started at the end of last year and finished about four weeks before ending for the summer.  All of my kids really like it.  I know they like it because it doesn't take much time so I'm hoping the efficiency of it works!

My son just came out of public school after being there for 3rd, 4th, and most of 5th (I removed him 5 weeks before school was over).

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I commend you for bringing him home when you felt there was a need and not having him finish the school year. 

Well done!

• Like 2