Menu

Need help organizing a geography course for my daughter

I am looking at the Starline Press World Geography set. Downside is it is pretty expensive; upside is it is open-and-go. I am also looking at the HMH World Geography package available through HSBC through the end of the month. At $60 compared to almost $200, the HMH looks like a better deal!

Trial Guide to World Geography.  You can pick and choose among the activities, it is secular, adaptable, is multi-level so you can adapt it to your child's skill level, and we had a lot of fun with it!

DD15 wants to study Geography this year.  I'm having a hard time coming up with resources that are secular.  I'm leaning towards having her do most of the work, finding books, websites, etc.  But I need help getting started.  What would need to be included for her to earn a credit?

I am looking at the Starline Press World Geography set. Downside is it is pretty expensive; upside is it is open-and-go. I am also looking at the HMH World Geography package available through HSBC through the end of the month. At $60 compared to almost $200, the HMH looks like a better deal!

I am not familiar with HMH, what does that stand for?

DD15 is going to be using Trail Guides to World Geography this year and in prepping the lessons so far it seems very workable and interesting.  There are several resources you need to weave in to the lessons but I was able to get all of them used for very little or find a good alternative.  She has asked for secular so we are doing TG in a very secular way.  So far I haven't seen any reason this material won't fit well with her goals (she was the one who requested Geography).

I just created my own for my kids. We went "round the world" and I used tons of videos (I love Michael Palin in particular). Then we played online games, board games etc to learn some of the facts. Instead of tests I got them to create websites, make itineraries, create posters and flyers etc. They had fun and what they learned actually stuck.