Menu

CLE to Saxon transition?

parias1126

Has anyone transitioned from CLE 6 to Saxon? If so, how was the transition? I'm thinking I'd like to use Saxon throughout high school so I'm thinking of doing the transition now rather than moving onto CLE 7. 

I'm looking at moving to Algebra 1/2. 

Thoughts? 

I just transitioned my 8th grader into 8/7 from CLE  6.  I can't really tell how it's going to go because we just started it earlier in the week :)  I did give him the placement test and he missed placing into 8/7 by a point so I decided that since this is his eighth grade year and I'm hoping to move into Algebra next  year, that we would go ahead with 8/7.  I'm going to keep a careful eye on him and if we need to, I'll slow down the pace to a half a lesson each day for a while in order to really cement the concepts.  

• Like 1

I will give her the placement test before i move her to Algebra 1/2. I looked through the books today thoroughly and went over them with her and it looks like the perfect place to start without "holes", but will definitely do a placement test. I'm just wondering about the transition from one curriculum to another. 

I will give her the placement test before i move her to Algebra 1/2. I looked through the books today thoroughly and went over them with her and it looks like the perfect place to start without "holes", but will definitely do a placement test. I'm just wondering about the transition from one curriculum to another. 

The placement test might put her in Math 87 instead of Alg. 1/2. :-)

what kind of "transition" issues do you think there might be?

I just transitioned my 8th grader into 8/7 from Saxon 6. I can't really tell how it's going to go because we just started it earlier in the week :) I did give him the placement test and he missed placing into 8/7 by a point so I decided that since this is his eighth grade year and I'm hoping to move into Algebra next year, that we would go ahead with 8/7. I'm going to keep a careful eye on him and if we need to, I'll slow down the pace to a half a lesson each day for a while in order to really cement the concepts.

This is what I hope to so next year. Let us know how it goes?

• Like 1

We did the transition from horizon 6, which is similar in the workbook format. I found that I needed, at first, to separate the copying skills from the math, especially on tests. We started not doing that, and it was frustrating for both of us. Do, I'd have them copy the problems and I'd check them. Then they did the math, and I'd check again. Voila! No more silly math or copying errors. We did this for maybe a month before the kid was able to meld both together. I'm SO glad I caught that the skills needed to be separate, or the transition would have been do much longer and more frustrating. Now, for my other kid, zero issues, copied it all fine. Your kid may be like that, too. But, if they aren't and the copying is an issue - break it down and I'm guessing it won't take long to get past it. :-)

• Like 3

I'm wondering about this too. Dd is 7th grade this year and I'm completely on the fence about whether to continue into.CLE 700 or transition now to Saxon. If we go with Saxon for high school....

It is recommended *not* to start Saxon with Algebra 1, so it seems to me to be best to move to Saxon when a dc places into Math 87 or Alg. 1/2, although starting with Math 76 would probably be good, too.

• Like 1

It is recommended *not* to start Saxon with Algebra 1, so it seems to me to be best to move to Saxon when a dc places into Math 87 or Alg. 1/2, although starting with Math 76 would probably be good, too.

I am interested in the reasoning behind this. Why specifically not algebra versus pre algebra?

Interesting information about not transitioning into Saxon beginning with Algebra 1.

We are going to be transitioning from Horizons preAlgebra and I was seriously considering Saxon.

Maybe I need to rethink my options.

I think it depends entirely the child.  I don't have experience with starting a child in Saxon at the Algebra 1 level, however, I have also heard that you should never, never, ever have a child do Saxon Algebra 2 without having done Saxon Algebra 1 and my two oldest children did this.  One went from TT Algebra 1 to Saxon Algebra 2 and the other did MUS Algebra 1 and then Saxon Algebra 2.  One of these was a strong math student and the other was an average math student and they both did fine.

I  think that there are always exceptions to those common blanket statements about what one should or should not do with a certain curriculum.  

I can't imagine a logical reason why "Do not start studying from the Saxon series with Algebra 1" is even the generic/common/usual advice.

That makes no sense to me. WTF is the point of a placement test if you can't actually start where you place?

OP, I would advice you to give the placement test. If you get a borderline result than use your judgement based on the content of the lessons and the nature of any mistakes made. Feel free to start where ever you place and reserve the right to reevaluate as needed. There can't possibly be anything so drastic about the way that Saxon books are written that it'd take 10 months ~ 120 lessons to adjust to it, I'm calling BS.

I can't imagine a logical reason why "Do not start studying from the Saxon series with Algebra 1" is even the generic/common/usual advice.

That makes no sense to me. WTF is the point of a placement test if you can't actually start where you place?

OP, I would advice you to give the placement test. If you get a borderline result than use your judgement based on the content of the lessons and the nature of any mistakes made. Feel free to start where ever you place and reserve the right to reevaluate as needed. There can't possibly be anything so drastic about the way that Saxon books are written that it'd take 10 months ~ 120 lessons to adjust to it, I'm calling BS.

it is ok that you can't imagine a reason. It is still the advice given by long-time Saxon users and teachers. Many people on this forum know Jann in TX. This is her advice:

I don't suggest starting Saxon at Algebra 1....

[ High School and Self-Education Board ]

Posted by Jann in TX on 9:07 Aug 22

In Reply to: Saxon Algebra 1...any negatives? posted by AmyCC

Even though Algebra 1 was the initial text in the Saxon series it can be a difficult place to 'start'. It is usually easier if the student at least works Saxon for Pre-Algebra (either 8/7 or Algebra 1/2).

Saxon is NOT like any other program. It does not have chapters or units--to the 'naked eye' it looks like a jumble of random 'ideas' that are not even full-blown concepts.

The DIVE cd's (not made by Saxon) are very helpful but again they do not provide the student with the 'bigger picture' they just go over the current lesson.

Saxon teaches in 'increments'. A typical lesson covers a tiny part of a concept. This is followed by 3-5 'practice' problems that look exactly like the example(s) in the lesson. Next comes the Problem Set--The first 5 or so problems are 'word problems'--and most likely application of a previous lesson--no official lesson supports how to work them (the wording is also unique to Saxon...). The next 5 or so problems are just like the day's lesson. The last 20 problems are a seemingly mishmash of previous lessons. There is a very real method to the 'madness' and placement of the problems/lessons but it is not obvious. By the halfway point in the text the student will be working problems that are 'combinations' of previous lessons and the difficulty of the 'review' problems will increase because the student has a wider knowledge base. In other words the review problems will be HARDER than those initially taught.

It is VERY important that ALL problems are worked--not just the odds or the evens as the learning often expands into the problem set. Just the simple change in the location of a negative sign can change the way a problem is to be worked and often you will see several problems that look 'almost' identical side by side--again these problems are in fact very different and hopefully the student will recognize the purpose of them.

Because of the wide variety of problems in each homework set lessons take longer than other programs. Tests look just like regular problem sets and do not have to be given in the frequency given (they made weekly tests because some schools demanded them).

I've taught/tutored Saxon for well over 10 years. Most of my students did very well with the program. Their retention at the end of the year was higher than other students in traditional texts that did not offer much in the way of review.

it is ok that you can't imagine a reason. It is still the advice given by long-time Saxon users and teachers. Many people on this forum know Jann in TX. This is her advice:

Is there anyone else besides Jann in TX who often recommends this? For some reason, the way that I read the comment was that "Don't start Saxon with Algebra 1" was the generic, usual or common advice given by several people and possibly even the publisher.

If don't start Saxon with Algebra is the tradition/usual/common/generic advice given by a bunch of people, then it still makes no sense to me. The fact that one respected teacher said it/does it that way doesn't make it the generic, usual or common advice that I (mis)took it to be.

Is there anyone else besides Jann in TX who often recommends this? For some reason, the way that I read the comment was that "Don't start Saxon with Algebra 1" was the generic, usual or common advice given by several people and possibly even the publisher.

If don't start Saxon with Algebra is the tradition/usual/common/generic advice given by a bunch of people, then it still makes no sense to me. The fact that one respected teacher said it/does it that way doesn't make it the generic, usual or common advice that I (mis)took it to be.

Yes, but I'm not going to do a search to give you a comprehensive list. Feel free to disagree with that assessment.

We moved into Saxon Algebra 1 from CLE. We didn't have a problem, but I did sit with my dd to do math everyday so if something unusual came up I could explain it to ease the transition. 

Concerns about copying were the reason we decided to stay with CLE through pre-algebra. If CLE's algebra included more space for working out the problems, I may have stayed with it. But it was probably good that she got that experience before going to brick and mortar school for high school, and it helped us figure out that she was having vision problems. We wound up getting her eyes checked and getting her evaluated for vision therapy because I caught her making mistakes copying problems. Once she got the therapy, she no longer had those issues and became completely independent. So transferring to Saxon ended up being a huge blessing.

I think it depends entirely the child.  I don't have experience with starting a child in Saxon at the Algebra 1 level, however, I have also heard that you should never, never, ever have a child do Saxon Algebra 2 without having done Saxon Algebra 1 and my two oldest children did this.  One went from TT Algebra 1 to Saxon Algebra 2 and the other did MUS Algebra 1 and then Saxon Algebra 2.  One of these was a strong math student and the other was an average math student and they both did fine.

I  think that there are always exceptions to those common blanket statements about what one should or should not do with a certain curriculum.  

I totally agree!

I have just moved my ODD into Saxon Algebra 1/2 from CLE 600.  Unfortunately, we are only 5 days into it, so I can't say much about how well it works!

How has it gone so far over the past few days? Is there a paperback book for the Algebra 1/2 or still hardcover? I was at the used bookstore here locally and only found Algebra 1/2 in the hardback. My only concern is my daughter having to rewrite the math problems as she gets very frustrated with this because she constantly rewrites the numbers down incorrectly in the transfer.

We moved into Saxon Algebra 1 from CLE. We didn't have a problem, but I did sit with my dd to do math everyday so if something unusual came up I could explain it to ease the transition. 

Concerns about copying were the reason we decided to stay with CLE through pre-algebra. If CLE's algebra included more space for working out the problems, I may have stayed with it. But it was probably good that she got that experience before going to brick and mortar school for high school, and it helped us figure out that she was having vision problems. We wound up getting her eyes checked and getting her evaluated for vision therapy because I caught her making mistakes copying problems. Once she got the therapy, she no longer had those issues and became completely independent. So transferring to Saxon ended up being a huge blessing.

This is my concern with switching.

How has it gone so far over the past few days? Is there a paperback book for the Algebra 1/2 or still hardcover? I was at the used bookstore here locally and only found Algebra 1/2 in the hardback. My only concern is my daughter having to rewrite the math problems as she gets very frustrated with this because she constantly rewrites the numbers down incorrectly in the transfer.

Ours is hardcover, it's the 3rd edition.  We're using the DIVE CD and I'm sitting through the lesson with her for now.  Someone else here on the boards put on her blog about this method.  She would watch along and they would both work the problems on the whiteboard.  Right now it's all easy review.  She is doing really well and is starting to feel more comfortable with the idea of "big bad Algebra 1/2."  :D

• Like 1