Menu

How do you pronounce "data" as in "data usage for your cell phone"?

J-rap

Yes. I pronounce them the same - data is information (in a cell it is a quantity in transmission with other servers, cell towers, and even satellites. On a computer it is often the same).

day - tuh. Long a on the first syllable, schwa or half long a on the second.

I pronounce both dah-tah. This used not to be unusual, but now I find that I hear it only occasionally. I do still hear it. I have lived in Mass. all my life.

ETA in my major and profession, this word is used all the time, so it may be that my sample size is larger than normal and that is why I hear both.

• Like 2

I don't think there's a wrong way to say it.  DAY-tuh,  dat-uh (short a like cat), or dah-tuh.  They all mean the same thing, and the pronunciations are used interchangeably.  

Maybe it's my age showing, but I remember when everyone said da-tuh (dat like cat).  Over time, the dominant pronunciation here in Albuquerque and on media has been toward DAY-tuh.  

I never hear dah-tuh, so maybe that's more regional or prominent among latin based language speakers?

And is that pronounced differently than "data" that you input into a computer?

I tend to pronounce the first with a short "a" and the second with a long "a," but I'm not sure if that's right.

I pronounce them both with a long A.

BTW, I misread your OP at first, and I thought you were saying you pronounce the first A short and the second A long, and I was trying to figure out why anyone would say DAT-ay. :lol:

And is that pronounced differently than "data" that you input into a computer?

I tend to pronounce the first with a short "a" and the second with a long "a," but I'm not sure if that's right.

I cannot make my mouth say the second syllable with a long A. o_0

Emphasis on the first syllable, DAY/tuh. Some peoiple say da/tuh (short a), which is ok, too. I just can't imagine daTAY.

• Like 1

I cannot make my mouth say the second syllable with a long A. o_0

Emphasis on the first syllable, DAY/tuh. Some peoiple say da/tuh (short a), which is ok, too. I just can't imagine daTAY.

I think she means that the second *usage* of the word data she pronounces with a long A, but still in the first syllable.  The second syllable is always short A.

• Like 2

I think she means that the second *usage* of the word data she pronounces with a long A, but still in the first syllable.  The second syllable is always short A.

OIC. Huh.

Well, I always pronounce the word the same, regardless of its usage. I guess it could be like produce/produce where the pronunciation differs according to usage, but it never occurred to me to do that, so there you go. :-)

All my college professors in computer science said DAY tuh, as did everyone I worked with as a computer analyst, (except for some old guys who remembered vacuum tubes) so that is what I used.  My mom used to say da tah (short a) because that is what they taught at the continuing education courses where she learned some data entry skills when she went back to work. 

• Like 1

I think the correct pronunciation is with a short a, but I say it both ways at different times.  I probably say day-ta more when I'm repeating a phrase I hear a lot (like "data transfer").  I would say dat-a when talking about the analysis of data.  "Based on the data I've examined, ____."  Totally illogical of course.

• Like 1

I've always thought that Capt. Picard probably had to get used to saying Day-ta for his crew member.  I think he says dahtah the rest of the time.  I stumbled over his name at first.  Obviously, it is a name and one should try not to adapt names to regional pronounciations, but it took me awhile to figure that out.

Nan

• Like 1

Another Aussie here:

dar-tah, strar-tah, both with emphasis on the first syllable, dar-tum is rarely used (and I'm scientist) and is more likely to be called a "dar-tah point" or just a point if its on a graph or a result if its in a table.

And strat -os -phere, short a, long e, second syllable running into the first, emphasis on the third syllable.

Thats the beauty of being an Aussie - we get to pick and choose between British and American pronunciation, then shorten all the long words, lengthen all the short words and quickly mumble our way through the rest.

D

• Like 3

Day-tah is correct for both.  Like the Star Trek character.

This.

I think I may have heard commercials on the radio from cell phone companies talking about dat-tah rates applying or w/e. It's possible I may sometimes say that too... not sure.

Regardless, I'm not a native speaker, so I'd take my pronunciations with a grain of salt (like when I told my now wife 11 years ago when she was on vacation in NL that her English was dee-ter-RYE-or-ray-ting - okay, my pronunciations are usually pretty good, but sporadically I'll get something spectacularly wrong).

Dah-tah as in Dutch...

I always thought Day-tah in Startrek was a mis pronounciation for the sake of the series...

But I am not a native speaker :)

I probably learned a lot of my pronunciation from Star Trek, which is probably why I'm saying 'day-tah'.

• Like 1