Menu

Multiple kids at home

benzino

With 3 at home, it seems like when I focus on one directly for instruction the other 2 are able to be 'less productive'. Please share strategies for things that kids 7,9,11can do when one is occupied with me. Probably the most difficult one to buckle down is the 9 y.o. Who would probably prefer something crafty.

This is a major source of frustration for me and any ideas before the year starts would be appreciated.

My dc have to take turns to get time with me.  The older ones do a lot of independent work; when I am finished with the younger ones they come to me for assistance, if needed.  While I am working with someone, the others can read, do their workbooks, play quietly (if their work is as complete as they can get it without me), draw/color.

I've created workboxes that have little games they can play by themselves (mainly logic puzzles - that type of thing).  I've also downloaded a bunch of math apps they can play while I'm working one on one with other kids.  I also like the ideas above: write a letter, write a story, draw a picture.  Or they can read quietly to themselves. You can see the workboxes I made for my preschoolers here: http://suchatimeasthis.com/2015/08/01/homeschooling-with-preschoolers/ I haven't written yet about the older kids (but they also have one).

• Like 1

At these ages, they need a schedule to follow and clear expectations.  I would combine them for some subjects if at all possible.  Even combining two for history and science would help a lot.  Art, poetry, Bible (if you do this) can be combined. I use the 36 week file folder system with my little dd so she has a binder of independent work to do while I am working with my boys.

• Like 1

My older two (nearly 9 and 8) do things like listen to SOTW on CD to prepare themselves for history, listen to Ecoutez Parlez French, ETC phonics pages, RAZ kids online, math drill (we've gone back and forth between straight-up drill pages and flashy math apps), printing or cursive copywork, and they've recently started to do some of their math on their own too. CLE my ds mostly does the review on his own (after we've gone over it during our one-to-one time). My dsd is in math mammoth and I've started to have her complete a few questions in each section on her own (we'll complete 2/3 or until I'm pretty sure she gets it, then move on to the next section. She then completes that 1/3 in each section on her own. We call it "homework").

This year I plan on introducing Song School Latin and I expect it to be fairly straight forward for them so I think they'll be able to do some or all of the worksheets on their own. Also for some of the history novels recommended in SOTW AG, I'll get audiobooks and they can listen to those during their independent work as well.

I have 5 those ages, with some older and younger.  I try to set up work they can do independently in addition to the work they do with me.  Having an extra activity box helps also.  When we go to the table, we all go to the table.  Even a 7 year old can work on handwriting, look at books, or even play a quiet activity while you work with the others.  If you want to keep it school focused that activity can be manipulatives like tangrams or pattern blocks.  Even an old fashioned workbook can be useful.

I keep a day-of-the-week box stocked with puzzles, fun activities, and school activities that only come out during school when free time allows.  If an activity gets tired then it is switched out before that day's box goes into rotation again.  So the Monday box would have different activities from the Tuesday box, but the Monday box would keep its contents and be brought back out each Monday.  If one activity gets little use it will be switched out for one that is fresher.  Rarely would I change out an entire box's contents. I try to stock enough that more than one child can work.  Right now my Monday box has a Geopuzzle coordinating to what we are studying, several sets of tangrams with idea cards, an audio book, and a dollar store football peg game that requires two players.  Hopefully my 9 and 11 year old boys will like it and practice a bit of math at the same time.  ;)

Forgot to add that my main problem is my 10month old who refuses to letting me do anything at all :(

This was our strategy: 3 schoolers are either a) working with me directly, b) working on independent work like reading or practice problems, or 3) playing with the littlest. Then we switch who does a, b, and c. Everyone gets 1:1 time, everyone gets a break playing with littlest, the littlest always has attention, and there aren't two kids working independently by each other to distract each other.

ETA: keep sessions to 30 min or less, and do multiple sessions. Combine them all for history (SOTW audiobook! - while the bogs listen you can diaper change or prep lunch with littlest) and science (while littlest naps).

• Like 2

Thank you so much! Have been trying to do something along those lines, but need to put it on paper to keep track of who is doing what. One on one tutoring is being interrupted with questions from the other kids and baby fussing. If I assign alloted times to each maybe things will work better :)

we do group work together, then my 10yo goes off to do independent work while i school the 7 and 6yo. i give her a break by calling her out for group lit and rhythmic writing, then she heads back while i finish with the others. then i go back and finish up with her. once they're done with school, they are free to play. i have a 19mo who is usually in the middle of everything and the 3yo plays on the ipad (abcmouse, learning with homer, starfall, brainpop, letter school. etc).

My kids have laminated check-off lists with little things they can do independently while they're waiting for me.  Handwriting, piano (we use Hoffman videos), typing, multiplication facts games, Rosetta Stone, Starfall, reading, memory work, jump rope..... If they get everything on their list checked off every day for a whole week, they get a special trip out for ice cream.  So they have a little extra incentive to do something productive during "school" time.  

I also keep most lessons very short, so even if I do need to teach a new math concept to one of the kids, it's 10 minutes at most, and then I can assist the other kids with something else.  The only "long" lessons we have are things like history or science, which we do as a group.  

I try to work with my kids from youngest to oldest, because the oldest can do the most work independently and the youngest (3 yr old twins) need their love buckets filled by mommy before they are content to go off and play without wrecking the whole house.  Actually, they still wreck the house, but not as loudly.  

I have to send my 9 year old boy outside for a long time before he can start school with me.  

• Like 1

Last year I had 11, 9, 8 and a 2yo.

It is a bit crazy.  Prioritize.

Grammar can be an oral lesson with all 3 kids in the room.

Get mileage out of math games.  2 can play Knock-Out while you work with the other.

History and science?  Combine all 3 unless you have independent readers.  Assign independent readers a reading and have them come to you and give an oral narration when done.

I let mine play lego and such if they were waiting between lessons, especially the youngest.

I have 3 the same ages - 7, 9 & 11.  It's challenging because the 9yo is special needs and the 7yo has surpassed him.  She can work well on her own, but basically if she's in the room with me (for schoolwork).  But I have learned I just can't do lessons together with any of them in the same room because I get interrupted too much, and then it just takes longer to do their lessons.  The 9yo is so easily distracted, that I get frustrated when he is on a roll and then gets distracted by one of the other two.  Even reading - he needs to be alone.  Our house is so open that talking in another room can be a distraction.  Then he interrupts a lot if he's in the same room with the others.  He might just be playing with his cars, but he makes noise.  I am able to do science, history and art together with them.  It's the math and language arts I need to do one on one.  If my 9yo was not special needs, I would be able to do more things together, but he throws me for a loop.  I don't medicate him.  I just work through the issues.  

I have decided that I will do one on one with the oldest first - give him his work for the day, and then he will be fine.  Then I will work with the 9yo, then the 7yo.  In the afternoons I will do work together.  I need to get the 9yo one on one early in the day.  :)

It is def. challenging.  Good luck.  :)

Vicki

• 2 weeks later...

This was our strategy: 3 schoolers are either a) working with me directly, b) working on independent work like reading or practice problems, or 3) playing with the littlest. Then we switch who does a, b, and c. Everyone gets 1:1 time, everyone gets a break playing with littlest, the littlest always has attention, and there aren't two kids working independently by each other to distract each other.

ETA: keep sessions to 30 min or less, and do multiple sessions. Combine them all for history (SOTW audiobook! - while the bogs listen you can diaper change or prep lunch with littlest) and science (while littlest naps).

I can't thank you enough for your ideas! Still in the process of implementation of new routines, but we are getting work done...not everything yet, but so much more than before!! Thank you :)

• Like 1