Menu

How do you help a HS student that needs help with executive function challenges while still tackling the academics?

So, I am not sure if it is an age thing or what, but my 14 year old, rising 9th grader has some real EF challenges that seem to be getting worse. I know it is something we need to address as we begin the new school year, but we also need to move forward academically. I am wondering how we can balance (or can we?) working on acquiring and maintaining some EF areas of need while learning new material. We have been working on some of these areas throughout 8th grade, but like I said, it seems like things have gotten a bit worse over the summer. 

Here is our line up for 9th grade:

Geometry (online) (1 credit)

Spanish 1 (online) (1 credit)

Biology w/ lab using M/L (1 credit) 

(Probably)Big History Project or Human Odyssey World History (1 credit)

English (variety of lit study w/ a Bravewriter class each semester, we will also continue working on spelling because that is an area of challenge) (1 credit)

Health (we have been doing this over the summer and will finish by the end of September) (.5 credit)

PE we will just work on accruing the hours over the year w/ classes at the gym (.5 credit)

This child has some interest in a drawing class and a creative writing class for a half credit each. We were looking at working through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain for the drawing credit and the WTMA's Creative Writing class in the spring.

I really do not want to overload my student. Having completed Health early in the year and doing PE as a rolling class through the year means we have space in our schedule for those electives, BUT given the EF challenges I am wondering if we are better off really focusing on those and doing our other 5 core subjects well. This child has a few extracurriculars (a weekly theatre thing and possibly an extension of the summer volunteering experience at a local nature center). Is that enough for 9th grade? 

You might consider a .5 credit study skills course.  You could use Smart but Scattered or Smart But Scattered for Teens to determine her EF strengths and weaknesses (very helpful!), or you could go straight to a study skills program that includes EF skills, but only as they relate to schoolwork, such as Study Strategies Plus.  Apply the needed EF training and study skills practice to her assignments in the other classes.  For example, maybe you want her to work on the skills of note-taking from a book and keeping those notes organized in one place.  Teach her how to do it and use her biology or history assignments to practice it.  If you want her to practice note-taking from a live speaker, have her do that in geometry or Spanish.  If you are having conflict over her lack of organization, using Study Strategies Plus or other skills book to give the assignments might be helpful.  Then the book is the "bad guy" and you are just the facilitator.

However, be sure to use any EF strengths she may have to help her as she learns to compensate for her weaknesses.   For example, maybe you used one of the Smart but Scattered books to determine that even though she is very disorganized and has a poor working memory, she is very goal oriented.  Guiding her to make specific goals for herself could motivate her better to learn the new study skills than just being given an assignment in which she has no personal input. 

Thank you both! I am reading through Smart but Scattered Teens right now. We will be working on the quizzes in the book in the next week or so, but I know short term memory is an area of challenge, impulse control, organization and several others. I think there are going to be a lot of weak areas.  :sad:

I had not thought of doing a study skills class for credit. Does that look like padding? Is it better just to work on those skills without giving them credit? 

I had not seen Study Skills Plus and have that coming from the library. Thanks you for the recommendation! Great, tangible suggestions-thank you!

Colleges expect students to take elective credits.  If she needs study skills help, there's nothing wrong with making a one-semester class of it.  If she doesn't cover enough or put in enough time for a half a credit, wrap the hours into her English 9 credit (a course that often includes study skills practice) or add the hours to any other course she applied the skills to - note taking skills for science, etc.