Menu

Unsure about using PayPal

BizyPenguin

I really want to sell my used curriculum and I know that if I accept PayPal I'll probably get more buyers, but I'm on the fence. I've been researching and I keep reading horror stories about bank accounts being hacked, scams, etc. This is making me quite unsure. Frankly, I'd love to just accept postal money orders like I did years ago, but apparently even those can be fake these days, not to mention I noticed many people advise against money order payments since there's no recourse. I've heard that if you do accept PP, just don't take personal payments. I've also heard that opening a separate checking account to link to and leaving a small amount of money in it is wiser than linking to your main checking account. Please chime in with your two cents for me. Do you think PP is safe? Do you accept PP and if so, have you ever had problems with it?

I take PayPal and linked to an account we use for online purchases so it never has much in it. Never take personal or gift payments. Always make it for services. I've never had an issue.

As for the idea that you'd get more buyers, I believe that to be true. When I see a seller doesn't accept PayPal and I can't meet up with them to pay cash, I move on.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I do have a PP linked to my credit card, but it's for occasional purchases that I make online. I'm under the impression that if I want to SELL something online (i.e. my used curriculum) then I should accept PP by linking it to my checking account. I think it would also "verify" me on PP, which I think makes buyers feel more confident buying from you. Perhaps I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I've also heard that opening a separate checking account to link to and leaving a small amount of money in it is wiser than linking to your main checking account. Please Do you think PP is safe? Do you accept PP and if so, have you ever had problems with it?

I opened my paypal account at the age of 18. I have been using the service off an on for well over a decade and honestly I have never dealt with anything major like bank account hacks.

I do not accept anything but paypal from buyers, money orders are not worth my time and in my opinion, seem kind of shady. Give pp a shot. I've only ever sold on ebay and hyena cart a few times, so I can't speak for how things work on message boards or facebook, anywhere else that people sell these days but don't let the fear hold you back from trying to sell some items. Best of luck!

Yes, I do believe that not taking Paypal is a significant issue if you are going to sell books online. I sold some book lots and sports equipment on eBay this summer, and it's a must. When we started homeschool some 15 years ago, money orders were much more common, but that has completely reversed.

I have a small checking account that I use for selling that is linked to both Paypal and my Amazon seller account. 

I also have a Paypal credit card so that I can spend the $ at places that don't have Paypal.

I've never been hacked with that combination, but better safe then sorry!

There are 4 members of my immediate family that use Paypal regularly and we all have it linked to our bank accounts.  We've never had a problem, but that's not saying it couldn't happen.  

It sure is convenient though, both as a buyer and a seller.

I've been with Paypal since the beginning and have had zero problems and it is linked to my bank account.  I would not send anyone a money order as a buyer (unless it was super cheap) because the seller could cash it and never send the items.  With Paypal, I have protection as a buyer. 

This.

My bank account was hacked after I bought something at Home Depot last spring... so Paypal is hardly at the top of my list for "potential hacking concerns". 

I've had PP for years and love everything about it.  

• Like 1

I've been using PayPal for many years as both a buyer and seller on Ebay.  My Paypal account is linked to our checking account and several of our savings accounts in multiple financial institutions.  I've never had a problem at all.  Our checking account has been hacked in various ways multiple times, but our bank has caught it nearly immediately and covered any fraudulent charges along with swapping out our ATM/Debit cards.  I've also used PayPal to complete non-Ebay deals through multiple websites as both buyer and seller without any trouble.

• Like 1

I have had PP from the beginning also and link it to a separate checking account that only holds a small amount and never had a problem. I don't buy using money orders because it is basically like sending cash.

For an example of a way you are much more likely to get hacked: Our neighbors still mailed checks up till 2 years ago. One time their mortgage payment was stolen out of their mailbox as it was waiting to be picked up (they found out much later obviously, because that was the check # that didn't not get cashed). By the time they got the late notice from their mortgage company, their checking account had been cleared out of over $20,000.

I don't mail checks, cash, gift cards (I once got the card only minus the GC someone had mailed me), money orders, etc.

I use Paypal and have never had a problem. It is linked to my checking account and I have never had a Paypal related problem with that. My debit card number did get stolen, but that had nothing to do with Paypal and the bank took care of it at not cost to me. My credit card number has been used fraudulently a few times, though. It is not connected to Paypal.

I recently sold an item to someone without Paypal. She asked if I would accept a money order and I said yes as long as I got it within a week. I didn't want to sit around and miss another buyer while I was waiting for payment that may or may not come. You never know when you are dealing with people over the internet. (The buyer did send it very promptly.) I much prefer Paypal, because payment is instant and if someone says they are going to pay, you know fairly soon if they will or not. I often have other interested buyers after the first person has contacted me, so I don't want to wait for a payment that may or may not come when I've got someone who can pay immediately.

• Like 1

I use Paypal and have never had a problem. It is linked to my checking account and I have never had a Paypal related problem with that. My debit card number did get stolen, but that had nothing to do with Paypal and the bank took care of it at not cost to me. My credit card number has been used fraudulently a few times, though. It is not connected to Paypal.

I recently sold an item to someone without Paypal. She asked if I would accept a money order and I said yes as long as I got it within a week. I didn't want to sit around and miss another buyer while I was waiting for payment that may or may not come. You never know when you are dealing with people over the internet. (The buyer did send it very promptly.) I much prefer Paypal, because payment is instant and if someone says they are going to pay, you know fairly soon if they will or not. I often have other interested buyers after the first person has contacted me, so I don't want to wait for a payment that may or may not come when I've got someone who can pay immediately.

:iagree:  Plus Paypal has a dispute resolution process which protects both buyers and sellers. 

And they make it easy to print prepaid mailing labels.

Someone hacked my paypal account while I was in the hospital giving birth. They hacked my email first and I had the same password for my PayPal. That's how they got it. They didn't even get to make one purchase before PayPal caught it. When the first attempted purchase appeared, PayPal froze my account and called me. I was very impressed with how they dealt with the whole situation.