Menu

Dictation in Writing with Ease?

Guest AmyDrorbaugh

Guest AmyDrorbaugh

I have now had two children go through the WWE series and neither of them is able to do the dictation as written? Is that just my kids or does anyone else have this problem? Both my children (one well advanced academically and one average) really struggled with dictation. The dictation provided in the books seemd too long and difficult right from the start and I never really saw improvement from my children in this skill. I would have to repeat the dictation over and over, way more than the 3 times recommended, and then would have to prompt with individual words several times. It is very frustrating for my children and they really hate dictation days now.

I'm interested to read what others say. I have had 4 children in various levels of the program and none of them so far have been successful in remembering the entire passage by level 4 without a great amount of difficulty. I'm used to not expecting them to be able to do it alI by now, but just repeat it to them sentence by sentence as needed (and sometimes clause by clause). I'm okay with it ;). I seem to remember Susan Wise Bauer posting a video to YouTube of her doing a dictation with her son from the program. It was reassuring.

There is a big difference between the length of passage recommended in the instructor's text and what is actually put in the workbook for kids to do. In the instructor text, by the end of level 4, a student is doing dictations of 25-30 words. I have had 3 kids go through the series and a 4th on his way and I never go beyond 30 words.

If you are using the workbooks, check the passage length and don't feel bad about cutting it down!

Also, it is totally fine to repeat more than 3 times. Repeat as many times as they need.

My dd, who is very bright and usually has zero struggles academically, really struggled with dictation as well. Look at SWB's "Dictation with Dan" videos on YouTube. They completely changed the way I facilitated dictation as the teacher -- and it made a HUGE difference. By the end of 4th grade, dd actually looked forward to doing dictations and was so proud when she could remember them, even weeks later.

• Like 1