Menu

What's with the ads?

mathmarm

How old is Charlie Brown to you?

They are all in their 40s, because they were kids when I was a kid.  :tongue_smilie:

I would say 9. 

• Like 4

All the kids walked to school alone (or with friends/sibs) in those days, starting in K or 1st grade. :)

This is what I was thinking. I walked to school alone from a very young age and trick or treated without adults. In fact, I don't remember spending much time in the company of my parents.

I would place Charlie Brown in 2 nd or 3 rd grade. I wouldn't be surprised if they were supposed to be younger. The Arthur cartoon always amazed me that those kids were in third grade. My third grader would not have been able to do some of the things they did.

• Like 1

The reason I thought roughly 10 was because of CB's cynical outlook on life.  Usually younger kids are more happy-go-lucky.

The character, not the comic Peanuts. What age are the Peanuts kids in your mind? If you don't know, please don't google it.

I'm curious what age you perceive the characters to be.

I always figured they were around 8-10 years old. 

Around the age I was when I used to watch Charles Schultz drawing in the cafe where I used to ice skate. So, 8 or 9.

• Like 1

The reason I thought roughly 10 was because of CB's cynical outlook on life.  Usually younger kids are more happy-go-lucky.

Not when they're treated like poor Charlie Brown. 

Also, they played in Little League. Doesn't that cap out before double digits.

Yes, my opinion is based upon irrefutable facts from the musical. I also believe that we can make coats from fir trees!

• Like 2

Also, they played in Little League. Doesn't that cap out before double digits.

Yes, my opinion is based upon irrefutable facts from the musical. I also believe that we can make coats from fir trees!

No, the Little League World Series is for teams with players ages 11-13. That's pretty much the pinnacle of LL. The fact that the boys and girls play together would indicate that they are younger.

They're very young in the original strips.  Like kindergarten age.  But they do age throughout the series.  I remember the older strips (I had several books of the Peanuts collections as a child), and you can tell that they were much younger than the age they are when the television specials began to air.  And, yes, I remember watching those on TV in the late 1960s.

Google the first Peanuts strips and you'll see how much younger they are in those.

• Like 1

Haven't read the responses yet, never looked it up, but I guess Charlie and friends to be about 4th grade with Sally & Linus 2nd-ish.  Rerun seems to be kindergarten.  Not sure I want my imaginings dashed, but off to read anyway.

Sally is younger than Linus. She has a crush on him... Also, as I mentioned, I read the one when she was born, and Linus was alive.... He was a toddler. He was a baby in the earliest ones... big enough to sit up, but not talk.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

EXACTLY! "A Book Report on Peter Rabbit" started going through my head as soon as I saw the question!

Also, snow comes up out of the ground and the wind blows it around.

Also, I walked to school by myself starting in kindergarten.  From first grade on I walked home for lunch and then back for the afternoon.

So. I thought early strips had them around kindergarten, later strips around 8 or 9.  

("Yes, ma'am, the answer's 5 ... 8 ... 83?  How would it be if I spelled Mississippi?")

Around the age I was when I used to watch Charles Schultz drawing in the cafe where I used to ice skate. So, 8 or 9.

Ah, we love ice skating at Snoopy's!

• Like 1

9 years old. There is a fair amount of independence (going to each other's houses, no parents around, etc...); a fair amount of sophistication to the situations they get involved in. But the telltale signs of childhood in what they are involved in, in the interactions between boys and girls, etc...