Menu

Medieval History with The Great Courses

Can anyone recommend any of The Great Courses to use with Medieval History?  Thanks to the recommendations here for Ancient History we found a fantastic course that for the first time got my high schooler to engage with history.

• 8 months later...

I'm putting together materials for "middle ages and as far as we can get" next year and stumbled across the Daileader "Early Middle Ages" Great Course (approx AD 300-1000), which is at our library and which I'm finding to be terrific.  I was happy to see that he has the two following courses (1000-1300 and 1300-1500) and that they've been "high schooler tested and approved"  by WTM families. :laugh: We'll also use the GC "History of the English Language" which we also find to be excellent, although it crosses time periods.  For our accompanying literature of the time period, we'll be roughly using the Norton Anthology of World Literature, shorter version, which has a nice global focus.  My questions are:

1. Has anyone found good complementary material for covering more of the globe from the years 300-1800, not necessarily Great Courses; and
  2. Does anyone have some good writing prompts for history (or literature) for that time period that don't require extensive reading outside the course materials?  Thanks!!
  • Like 1

I like both Daileader and Dorsey Armstrong. For my dd, who doesn't love history, I think Armstrong will be better. Not quite as in-depth, lots of high interest/daily life stuff, and she covers some lit as well.

The last ~12 lectures of The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World cover the Medieval period. We have only listened to the first few lectures so far, but we like them.

Sorry, regentrude, to have you reply twice...not sure what's more efficient on the boards, but since this thread already seemed to answer part of my question (that the courses don't sound just good to me but work for a high school student too), I thought I'd just try to get ideas on complementary materials for Daileader's lectures.

ETA: Thanks, Rose (in the post below).  I started a new thread here. (I updated this post rather than replying so as not to resurrect the thread again.)

Edited by Brad S

Ahh, I see.  Brad, I definitely start a new thread to ask about your complementary sources and writing prompt questions. I know that I referred back to the OP in my response and didn't catch that you were adding new questions.  You'll probably get more responses on a new thread, and I'll be listening in!  :D

• Like 1