Menu

Do Less....

I picked it up at the library after seeing this thread, because no one can have too many books on minimalism checked out at one time...right?

In the intro she says: Voluntary simplicity is the act of embracing minimalism.  Note the word "voluntary." Yes, you have a choice. Do you want to live with clutter, with things you don't need or use?

In light of reading the Marie Kondo book (which I had to return to the library), this struck me.  I really DO have a choice about how I live. 

Right now my house is spotless (staged & on the market) and living is easy, in a sense.  There isn't much to put away...except library books!  And I wonder just what is in those boxes in the basement that I packed up because I knew I wanted to move them! 

A quote from chapter one: Beautiful things should be used and seen.  If something is far too precious to be used for its intended purpose, what is the point of owning it?

Food for thought.  We recently inherited some china from dh's aunt.  I put it into our glass front hutch as part of the staging.  Looks great there.  But then I was thinking about it.  I don't want to look into the hutch and see it forever.  I want to see the giant glass mug filled with marbles and glass stones that the kids play with.  We don't do "holidays" with fancy dishes.  And I don't want burden my children with a box of fancy china that they feel they need to store for...what?  Anyway, I mentioned eating off the china to dh and he thought it was a great idea -- his aunt kept the pieces she actually uses (and eats off daily!) and gave the rest to us.  So it isn't even a complete set. 

Anyway, that is as far as I got -- but I'm enjoying it.  I haven't gotten to the practical part yet though!

A side note (not from the book): I read recently that instead of saying "We can't afford it." to the kids, say "How can we afford it?"  I like that -- it puts the emphasis on what you are spending money on and are you willing to change or not to get the desired item.  I think this book walks on same path -- changing the way you approach your cluttered-feeling life. 

So, have you read it??

• Like 5

Amen to using the pretty things!

I have good china, silver and crystal and we use it regularly! and nice table linens too.

I am not a clutter person. I love to clean out and get rid of anything not useful or necessary or appreciated.

Haven't read the book. Will put it on my library list.

• Like 1

Lee, I love the idea of your husband's aunt keeping a few pieces and sharing her dinner set with you. I hope you do eat off it and think of her. My grandmother spent her last years wearing daggy old nighties, while she had a drawer full of lovely new ones. She was keeping them for when she went to hospital. She never did go: she died in our home in a daggy nightie. Use the plates!

D

• Like 3