Menu

Preparing for ps 7th grade

My dd11 has expressed an interest in going to public school next year if she can get into the local school for the arts.  This would be her first experience with public school.  For anyone who has been there, what should we be focusing on in this school year to best prepare her for this possibility?  

I would go to your local school's website and get an idea what they use for 7th grade. :)

If it were me, and I was preparing my kids for our local PS, I'd focus mainly on math and language arts....but I'd also want to include the things that make homeschooling enjoyable (and different from regular school).

They use Scott Foresman Envision Math here....it's usually pre-algebra in 7th.  Not a fan.  But still, any good sixth grade math program would be more than enough.  So, we use Math Mammoth, and I'm 100% sure that if my son did MM 6A and 6B, he'd have no troubles.  Similarly Saxon, Singapore, Math in Focus, CLE, all would work.  

I'd probably do a formal year of grammar...either Shurley or Hake

I'd work on writing a 300-500 word composition/paper and keyboarding skills.  I'd make sure she can comment on literature, significant quotes, etc.

• Like 1

I have one that went back for 6th and is now an 8th grader.  I echo what the poster above said about checking out what the school does for each grade to get a better idea.

Biggest adjustment we faced was the homework.  Once he returns home from school, we have a good, solid 3-4 hours of homework per night.  Tests and quizzes quickly became a thorn in my side as well - the amount of tests/quizzes was staggering.  I would make some adjustments to your schedule/curriculum to include projects, homework, regular tests/quizzes if you don't already.

The biggest gap we faced was computers.  The kids knew how to do all sorts of things in word, excel, powerpoint, etc.  They knew how to put together multiple slide deck presentations.  My husband was able to sit down with my son the summer before he entered school and at least give him some working knowledge of how to use these types of programs.

What I really wish we had worked on:  study skills.  How to take notes, organize notes, organize work, not shove work into the bottom of the backpack so you can't find it when it is time to turn it in, etc. Along with test taking strategies, different types of tests, how to study for tests, how to review a little each day so you aren't staying up until midnight the night before a test, etc.  In middle school some teachers will "spoon feed" the kids the information, but some do (at least in my experience) lecture and expect the kids to take their own notes.

And my final advice is for you.  Be prepared for any quirk in your child or any tiny little gap in knowledge to be attributed to homeschooling.  Expect absolutely no praise if your daughter is ahead in anything, or a model student, or makes friends easily, etc.

• Like 2

Use a planner.

Make sure did can save her work onto a flash drive and/or into the cloud.

Keyboarding skills. Computers can be used a lot, as assignments and handouts are often posted on teachers' websites. Papers will usually have to be typed.

PowerPoint and oral presentations. Common Core LA has more oral language skills than previous standards.

Download CC standards, but don't panic. They have only been around a few years, and most students are far from mastering everything, lol.

Check out the school's website to get an idea of typical assignments. Make sure dd can navigate the website, use the calendar and understand what rubrics are. Just basic stuff.

Read about extracurricular activities and sports, so did can begin thinking what interests her. Extra curriculars are a great way to get involved in the school. I cannot emphasize this enough!

For yourself, think about setting aside some time to go to any parent meetings offered. Ymmv, but in my district, parent attendance drops off sharply after elementary school, so the fact that you show up is appreciated, lol. Volunteer for something if you feel an interest.

• Like 1

I would go to your local school's website and get an idea what they use for 7th grade.

I'd work on writing a 300-500 word composition/paper and keyboarding skills. I'd make sure she can comment on literature, significant quotes, etc.

Oh, yes, about the quotes. One thing CC does (sometimes to the detriment of a holistic understanding) is emphasize backing up your opinions about a piece with quotes from the piece. Have dd get in the habit of marking or jotting down a few quotes as she reads.

In our middle schools, papers are done in stages. One assignment is the idea, then drafts, and so on. Critiques along the way are by peer groups with teachers looking on. Kids do not have to produce an LA paper without feedback along the way.

• Like 1