Menu

Does anyone know what it is like to live in either Raleigh, NC or Dallas, TX?

Momma H

We are looking to move and, at this point, these are the top contenders. We visited Dallas and really like it there. We really like the dryer climate. Is it usually pretty dry there?

Raleigh is beautiful. We live in a very humid climate now and my poor son does not do well in it. I am concerned that it is going to be really humid like it is here in southwest Missouri.

(I have looked at charts and graphs that detail humidity in different areas but I don't think you really know until you have been somewhere a while.)

Has anyone lived in or at least visited either? I am trying to get a picture of what it is like to live there and homeschool there. Obviously, humidity is a concern but I would love any information you have!

• Like 1

I live in the Raleigh area and have visited Dallas a little.

Yes, Raleigh really is humid. It rains a lot, and the pine pollen is a problem for some people. DH and I are from the Northeast, and we are still making rain forest jokes about this area after living here for sixteen years. We run a dehumidifier in the house. Everywhere is air-conditioned, though, and there are public swimmming pools and creeks. It doesn't bother most people that much--downtown has a few streets closed almost every Saturday morning for marathons.

Here's the local weather forecast; it's a little cool this week. It does not get as hot as Dallas in the summer, and Raleigh has an extensive parks system that we can use nearly all year.

Raleigh is a great place to homeschool, with many active groups and a good library system. There's even a homeschool store (in addition to bookstores and teacher supply stores). Homeschooling registration is simple (only once for the household: just send the form in to the state Department of Non-Public Education). ETA: You administer a standardized test of your choice annually, but no one asks to see that. Of course, in Dallas, you don't have to register at all.

Raleigh has free museums (history, natural sciences, and art), low-cost museums (contemporary art, children's), the state farmer's market, the state fair (flea market every weekend at the fairgrounds, as well as frequent festivals of all kinds), the symphony, etc. It's a smaller city than Dallas, but being a state capital has its advantages.

Both cities are set up so you have to drive to get places, but Raleigh has *far* less traffic. I've seen traffic in Dallas at 11 PM that rivals 5:30 PM in Raleigh. In Raleigh, 10 minutes is a short drive, and 45 minutes is considered a long drive to get somewhere.

Both cities, as you know, have airports; RDU doesn't have as many flights as DFW, but on the other hand, it's very easy to navigate. In Raleigh, you can also get on an Amtrak train and reach Charlotte in about 3 hours, or Washington, DC, in about 4.

ETA: Raleigh is far enough inland to be only minimally affected by hurricanes, but you can be at a nice beach in about 2.5 hours.

• Like 2

I lived in North Central Texas for 28 years. It's hot and humid there, but I don't know how that compares to Raleigh, because I've never lived there. Toyota recently has or will soon move their U.S. HQ from California to Plano, TX, so I'd probably avoid Plano (a city I have lived in)  because I am assuming that the Toyota influx drove up real estate prices in Plano.  GL with your decision!  

P.S.

Texas does not have a State Income Tax so that's a plus for Texas.  "Don't Mess With Texas"

• Like 1

Lanny, we are looking at the Anna area. We were there from July 29 to August 2 and did not feel like it was humid at all. Was that unusual? We love that whole northern area. I did have nightmares about my kids driving on the highways! (Literally)

I have lived within 45 minutes of both places. I'm much, much more familiar with the Dallas area though. Regarding the humidity, even if it is a bit humid in North Texas, it will be nothing compared to the NC humidity. I was truly amazed when I moved from the N Texas area to NC. I just couldn't believe how hot and humid 90 degrees could feel! I'm much more familiar with the Ft Worth area, which is just lovely. But I worked in downtown Dallas, and yes, the traffic is quite terrible. But it's a big city, so that's to be expected. As a PP mentioned, Texas is great with homeschool laws/requirements and they do not have a state income tax. I would think either Raleigh or Dallas would have many, many homeschool families and opportunities, but I can't speak directly to that.

I'm biased because I love that area of Texas, but I think either of those cities would be lovely. :)

Something extra I would consider is where I could go in a 2 hour drive, or a 4-6 hour drive. It doesn't impact your day-to-day living, but it is nice to see what you'll have access to and what your family enjoys.

Good luck!

• Like 2

People who live or lived in Texas seem to really love it there. The people there seemed (in general obviously) very friendly. I appreciate that perspective on the humidity because that was totally the sense we got.

Raleigh does sound lovely with all the green and the homes are really nice looking.

Anyone else?

Raleigh. No question about it if DFW is the alternative! North Carolina is so beautiful. North Texas is the opposite. NC weather beats North Texas hands down. People are wonderful in both places, and people count for a great deal.

Anna is a microdot, at a far driving distance from Dallas. It is close however, to both of these other towns:  McKinney has mushroomed into a thriving town, as has Frisco.

Full disclosure: I have lived in north-of-Dallas suburbs since 1995. I had only four years in North Carolina while an undergraduate student in Durham.

• Like 2

I've lived near both cities.

In North Carolina, the beach or the mountains are within a day's driving distance. Dallas, well, the Arkansas mountains are close. Otherwise, you can see hill country and piney woods. And West Texas, but no one wants to go there for vacation ;-).

Dallas has better access to cheap flights. If you fly often, it makes a big difference.

Raleigh gets more humid, but Dallas gets more hot. Both are pretty hot and humid though. Hurricanes-NC, Tornadoes-Dallas. Raleigh is a bit inland so hurricanes don't hit as hard.

Food's more expensive in NC compared to Texas, but real estate may be slightly cheaper in Raleigh than Dallas.

North Carolina has an income tax and a property tax. Texas has high property taxes, but no income tax. Both have comparable sales taxes.

Homeschool laws aren't difficult to follow in NC, but every year, you must file with the state and test. In Texas, you are considered a private school so you just have a course of study to follow, but no filing requirement.

Texas has beef barbecue, NC pork. But Texas BBQ is better. Vinegar BBQ sauce? *shudder*

Texas-Mexican food, Dairy Queen, Whataburger and kolaches. NC-boiled peanuts and Cheerwine.

ETA: I forgot to add that I'd live in either location. They are both great places to live and raise kids.

• Like 2

I have lived within 45 minutes of both places. I'm much, much more familiar with the Dallas area though. Regarding the humidity, even if it is a bit humid in North Texas, it will be nothing compared to the NC humidity. I was truly amazed when I moved from the N Texas area to NC. I just couldn't believe how hot and humid 90 degrees could feel! I'm much more familiar with the Ft Worth area, which is just lovely. But I worked in downtown Dallas, and yes, the traffic is quite terrible. But it's a big city, so that's to be expected. As a PP mentioned, Texas is great with homeschool laws/requirements and they do not have a state income tax. I would think either Raleigh or Dallas would have many, many homeschool families and opportunities, but I can't speak directly to that.

I'm biased because I love that area of Texas, but I think either of those cities would be lovely. :)

Something extra I would consider is where I could go in a 2 hour drive, or a 4-6 hour drive. It doesn't impact your day-to-day living, but it is nice to see what you'll have access to and what your family enjoys.

Good luck!

I guess individual body perceptions of humidity are going to vary.  I grew up in Houston ( aack! ), and found North Carolina a palpable relief from the Texas humidity!  I don't "process" Dallas as better than North Carolina with regard to humidity. 

The point about where one can drive within a small time is an important one.  The Central Texas Hill Country is an acquired taste for many, but I always have considered it very beautiful.  (Austin now is a wreck, though, from over-development.)  Austin is four hours south of Dallas; San Antonio (a great city!) is five.  There are some really good guide books for Texas parks, landmarks, and activities.   

North Carolina has mountains, sea coast, and forested areas.  Texas does too, but the much smaller size of North Carolina allows easier access to all types of environment.  If one lives in Texas, it can be lengthy-to-impossible for visiting a desired location. 

Raleigh does sound lovely with all the green

FYI, 'green' is code for 'high humidity' and/or 'lots of rain'.

I've lived in Richardson, Whitewright, and Bells. My kids were born in Sherman and Gainesville. If you use Google Maps you can see that those all fall in that Dallas/North of Dallas area. I've driven through Anna plenty of times (driving from Bells to the University of North Texas twice a week... everything is bigger in Texas includes the distances people drive to places). I'd be more worried about my kid driving on the highways in Dallas than around Anna. That said, it took a bunch of driving experience before I didn't hate multi-lane busy highways. There is the one traffic light somewhere near Anna near the dump that is a little tricky to learn how to decide whether to brake or keep going when you see the light turn yellow (the speed limit was at least 55mph, which is not a speed that most people are familiar with having traffic lights with). I think they were putting in another traffic light around the time we moved though as well as lowering the speed limit around there, but I don't recall. Speaking of that dump, at times things smelled pretty badly around that stretch of high way (not sure if that's related to the dump or something else, but my nose doesn't care why things smell bad, just that they do). Overall, Anna never appealed to me.

One thing you have to keep in mind wrt homeschooling stuff is that the DFW metroplex is huge. Cool homeschool stuff in central Dallas may or may not be too far for your comfort if you live in Anna. And stuff in McKinney may be not worth the hassle if you live in downtown Dallas and you'd have to battle all the traffic either. So, while I'm sure there must be cool homeschooling things in the area, you may find that many are just too far away to do on a regular basis. And having to stay inside all summer because you'd otherwise just melt isn't so great either.

I haven't been to North Carolina, so I can't say anything about that.

• Like 1

I'll have to vote for Raleigh.  It's a beautiful area, close proximity to a number of different options-hiking, mountains, farming, wildlife, beaches, for example.  It's close to everything and has lots of opportunities.  Homeschooling is not difficult in NC and there are many homeschoolers near Raleigh/Durham.  It's a great area.  Plus there's a Biscuitville which may be one of my favorite restaurants. ;)

Inland at Raleigh hurricanes really aren't as much of an issue, but tropical storms can dump tons of rain there.  The winters are fairly mild, the summers long hot and humid, but not worse than friends in Dallas I've talked to.  I would say your tornado risk is slightly lower in Raleigh, but that's only based on my one year of living in NC. :)

• Like 1

The following sentence is SO true! Thank you for your perspective on this with the driving and the heads up on the smell. We just like to be on acreage and my husband really wants a shop. That is the only place we could find that. Plus the property taxes are lower up there. I am actually talking about that while country quadrant up there. We are accustomed to living out a ways on some property.

FYI, 'green' is code for 'high humidity' and/or 'lots of rain'.

I've lived in Richardson, Whitewright, and Bells. My kids were born in Sherman and Gainesville. If you use Google Maps you can see that those all fall in that Dallas/North of Dallas area. I've driven through Anna plenty of times (driving from Bells to the University of North Texas twice a week... everything is bigger in Texas includes the distances people drive to places). I'd be more worried about my kid driving on the highways in Dallas than around Anna. That said, it took a bunch of driving experience before I didn't hate multi-lane busy highways. There is the one traffic light somewhere near Anna near the dump that is a little tricky to learn how to decide whether to brake or keep going when you see the light turn yellow (the speed limit was at least 55mph, which is not a speed that most people are familiar with having traffic lights with). I think they were putting in another traffic light around the time we moved though as well as lowering the speed limit around there, but I don't recall. Speaking of that dump, at times things smelled pretty badly around that stretch of high way (not sure if that's related to the dump or something else, but my nose doesn't care why things smell bad, just that they do). Overall, Anna never appealed to me.

One thing you have to keep in mind wrt homeschooling stuff is that the DFW metroplex is huge. Cool homeschool stuff in central Dallas may or may not be too far for your comfort if you live in Anna. And stuff in McKinney may be not worth the hassle if you live in downtown Dallas and you'd have to battle all the traffic either. So, while I'm sure there must be cool homeschooling things in the area, you may find that many are just too far away to do on a regular basis. And having to stay inside all summer because you'd otherwise just melt isn't so great either.

I haven't been to North Carolina, so I can't say anything about that.

The following sentence is SO true! Thank you for your perspective on this with the driving and the heads up on the smell. We just like to be on acreage and my husband really wants a shop. That is the only place we could find that. Plus the property taxes are lower up there. I am actually talking about that while country quadrant up there. We are accustomed to living out a ways on some property.

My wife says she thought the smell only affected a small area and that Anna proper probably wouldn't have much of an issue with it but the new development they built right next to the dump would. I wouldn't know though... I wasn't paying too much attention to the exact location of the smell.

I would get on local homeschoolers lists of the areas you're interested in and ask around (and be specific to what part of the metroplex you're interested in, as homeschool groups in Fort Worth are going to be probably completely irrelevant to you). Someone mentioned Raleigh has a homeschool store, but I'm pretty sure I've seen one in Dallas too. Then and again, I think it was a religious homeschooling store, and Dallas is in the bible belt, so I'm not sure how many of the homeschoolers there are homeschooling for religious reasons and whether or not that even matters to you. I didn't homeschool back in Texas for various reasons, so I don't know too much about the homeschooling scene there.

Having lived in multiple places my main assessment is that every place has its ups and downs. So far I haven't found the ideal place yet (WNY sure as hell isn't it).

If you want to live a bit out of town in the Raleigh area, check out Holly Springs or Wake Forest.

I'll check that out, thanks.  I have had a hard time finding really what we want.  My husband likes to fix up cars and so he needs a shop.  I have not found really any houses that have a shop.  Maybe in this new area I can find that!

I have only lived in Texas, so I can't say anything about the climate elsewhere.

I consider Texas to be pretty humid. It gets HOT here. We have occasional summers where we hit 100 degrees over 100 days in a row.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dallas-breaks-record-for-most/55022

As an adult, I lived in Denton, Allen, McKinney, and (Lowry Crossing) Princeton.

Anna is pretty far out. Plan to spend a minimum of 30 minutes to get just about anywhere you want to go and 45-60 minutes for most trips out from home.

The traffic isn't bad out there. It's just a long way out.

I tried to do most of what I needed in McKinney and Allen and really tried to avoid going all the way down to Plano. While we lived in McKinney and Lowry Crossing, dh was working in Richardson. I was working there too until we had our second dd. We both worked very near to UT Dallas (where the middle dd is going to school now). Back then it took us 45-60 minutes for the commute to work. I'm sure it would take a lot longer now because there's been a lot of buildup in the area.

You should know that the area is very very conservative. Austin is the only area in Texas that is liberal.

We live just outside of Raleigh. I was shocked by the humidity when we moved here. I lived in the FL panhandle for awhile and in Okinawa, and the humidity here is just as bad as FL and worse than Okinawa (an island). It's a great place to live and it's easy to homeschool, but if you have a child who doesn't do well with humidity health-wise, I wouldn't move here. I hear a lot of people say that their allergies or asthma are worse here than wherever they've lived previously.

• Like 1

You should know that the area is very very conservative. Austin is the only area in Texas that is liberal.

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by how w/e people were about transgender people in North Texas. I mean, sure, they're not all "gay pride" or w/e, but there wasn't really any harassment either. What I'm trying to say is that yes, most people are conservative, vote Republican, etc, but it's not necessarily a big deal on a day-to-day basis if you're not.

We had fully planned to move to Raleigh when we were looking at NC 10 years ago.  We had several friends in Raleigh and I couldn't believe the HS support and groups.  There are also SO MANY charter schools that look great in that area.

However, Dh's job offer ended up being in Charlotte.