Menu

Your Reading List

Ahayes

I think it may vary. when my oldest was in k we read the wizard of oz and a sequel, 2 little house books, around the world in 80 days, dr. Dolittle and a sequel, Charlotte 's web, the trumpet of the swan, and a wrinkle in time and a sequel. Oh and the magic tree house series and little women.

My middle child listens in for some of those books. She will be going into k and I plan on reading among the people series to both and more living science books.

Right now they like the a to z mysteries by ron roy. We'll probably read his capital mystery series as well.

• Like 1

We made a list from a bunch of different sources, like Sonlight, MBTP, and other good K lists. It's vaguely arranged by topic in order of MBTP readings---that's the curriculum we are using as a spine for the year.  Some are picture books, some chapter books, and we add to it pretty much every week based on random things we find in the library. I'm open to anything you think I might be missing!

Food

How to make an apple pie and see the world (LA)

Usborne interent linked children’s world cookbook (SS)

Penguins

Mr. Poppers Penguins (LA) (chapter)

My season with PEnguins (SCI)

A is for Musk Ox (MBTP)

Family love

Little bear (LA)

Boxcar children (LA) chapter

Fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers (poems) (LA)

Hondo and Fabian (MBTP)

climate/plants

How plants grow (SCI)

Usborne Weather (SCI)

The little island (MBTP)

Animals

Put me in a zoo (LA)

What do you do with a tail like this (MBTP)

trees

Where the flame trees grow (LA) (11 stories)

great Kapok tree (SS)

Tree of Life (Barbara Bash) (SCI)

We’re going on a leaf hunt (MBTP)

Bravery

Mirette on the high wire (LA) (Paris)

My father’s dragon (LA) (China) chapter

Lost and found

Word Wizard (LA)

The bee tree (SCI)

Fireflies (MBTP)

habitats

The house at pooh corner (LA) chapter

Usborne--wild places: mountains, jungles and deserts (ss) (may need to buy)

But NO ELEPHANTS (MBTP)

Math/puzzle solving

The best vacation ever (LA)

Dragon’s Scales (LA)

Millions of Cats (MBTP)

Poetry

The llama who had no pajama (100 poems) (la)

Science verse (SCI)

The real mother goose (MBTP)

Siblings

Beezus and Ramona (LA) chapter

Owl babies (MBTP)

Women’s clothing

You forgot your skirt, Amelia Bloomer (SS)

bloomers! (SS)

Apples

Johnny Appleseed, Story of a legend (SS)

The seasons of arnold’s apple tree (MBTP)

Ancient animals

dinosaur dreams (LA)

archeologists dig for clues (at richmond)  (SCI)

Dianosaurs big and dinos small (MBTP)

creativity

A Big Ball of String (LA)

Harold and the purple crayon (MBTP)

Pioneers

Roxaboxen (SS)

Blueberries for Sal (MBTP)

Travel

A fly went by (LA)

Rain (MBTP)

Space

comets, stars the moon and mars: space poems and paintings (LA)

If you decide to go to the moon (SCI)

I want to be an astronaut (SCI)

Arts

Linnea in monets garden (LA)

Night in the Country (MBTP)

conflict

Butter battle book (LA)

Sami and the time of troubles (SS)

Librarian of Basara (SS)

Marshmallow (MBTP)

Change

A bad day at riverbed (LA)

Happily ever after (LA) (chapter)

When I was little (SS)

Issac Newton and the laws of motion (SCI)  

Umbrella (MBTP)

outwitting others

Paper bag princess (LA)

4 gallant sisters (LA)

A grain of Rice (SS)

Clever Katya (SS

Jump frog jump (MBTP)

Helping

If anything ever goes wrong at the zoo (LA)

Mary on Horseback (SS) (3 stories)

Small acts of kindness (MBTP)

Standing up for others

The hundred dresses (LA) (chapter) (poland)

20 and 10 (SS)

Communicating

Dr. Doolittle (Africa) (LA) chapter

Jambo means hello (SS)

Knut: how one little polar bear captivated the world (SCI)

Zin Zin Zin a violin (MBTP)

Friendship

Meet Danitra Brown (poems) (LA)

Richard Scary book of please and thank you (SS)   

Little blue and little yellow (MBTP)

Villages

The children of noisy village (LA) (Chapter)

Little pear (SS) chapter

george washington’s birthday (MBTP)

Girls to the rescue

Girls to the rescue (3 volumes) (30 stories) (LA)

The Serpent Slayer (18 stories) (SS)

The quilt story (MBTP)_

Goofy

A pizza the size of the sun (poems) (LA)

June 29, 1999 (SCI)

Exploring the unknown/blindness?

7 blind mice (LA)

Out of Darkness (chapter) SS

An extraordinary egg (MBTP)

African culture

Story of Ruby Bridges (SS)

Africa is not a country (SS)

Nelson Mandela’s Favorite African Folktales (SS) (Africa)

greedy zebra (MBTP)

• 4 weeks later...

We are starting our K year and this is a bit of what we've been reading over the past few months (and years):

A.A. Milne collection including the Winnie the Pooh stories (unabridged, for bedtime)

Book of Norse Myths -D'Aulaires' - side benefit: very good for understanding where the names of the week come from

Book of Greek Myths - D'Aulaires'

Classic Golden Books (the best ones we've found so far have been with publication dates from the 1960s - and Eloise Wilkin books are usually great)

Classic children's literature collections including unabridged fairy tales, excerpts from The Jungle Book, etc.)

George Washington's Rules to Live by (there's an illustrated one sold at Mount Vernon which the children enjoy)

The Golden Children's Bible and The Picture Bible

Knights and Castles

Stories of Dragons

Book of Trolls (love just about everything from the D'Aulaires)

D'Aulaires' George Washington

Disney Princess stories in German (they're getting a lot of practice with German, French and now Latin)

This is just a sampling, but some of these are on the read at least once every day - our little ones are 5 and 2.

We're going through the Wee Folk Art's Simple Seasons curriculum.  It has two picture books on a similar topic scheduled each week.  One is a story and the other is more factual.  There is also at least one craft or activity to go with each week.

We'll also be reading through some of ELTL's Pathways readings.  It's a 2 year schedule of books that you can work through in 2, 3, or 5 days each week.  This includes a few treasuries of picture books, some early chapter books, and some public domain readings.  It also has lots of poetry and Mother Goose stories.

• Like 1

Last year we used a lot of the Wee Folk Art books and loved them. This year, I am putting together my own animal based preK program. It isn't finished yet, but I am happy to share our list when it is. I've found at least one picture book story, one picture book nonfiction book, one early reader, and one chapter book for each animal so far (and occasionally a group of animals instead of a single one).

• Like 1

My library has a long list of books recommended for Toddlers, PreK and K. I check out books from that list and just "do the next thing".

Its helpful because I don't have to wonder if my library actually has the books that I want to get, I just find them on the shelves and check them out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How do you read a book like "Peter Pan" to K or younger kids?  Is it like a chapter a night?  Would they really go to sleep without knowing the ending? :)

Also, what editions of Grimm fairy tales are good? 

Our reading list will include "Winnie the Pooh" and maybe "Kipper the Dog." Am looking for kid-friendly books on Greek mythology and Aesop's fables.  But right now, we're on a budget.  We scout the library for whatever is there.  We've read "Mother Goose Rhymes" and they love it.

How do you read a book like "Peter Pan" to K or younger kids?  Is it like a chapter a night?  Would they really go to sleep without knowing the ending? :)

Our reading list will include "Winnie the Pooh" and maybe "Kipper the Dog." Am looking for kid-friendly books on Greek mythology and Aesop's fables.  But right now, we're on a budget.  We scout the library for whatever is there.  We've read "Mother Goose Rhymes" and they love it.

We don't read aloud at bedtime.  I'm burnt out then.  I read aloud at different times during the day and my husband reads aloud after dinner in the evening.

The plot and content of Grimm's Fairy Tales is very graphic.  I wouldn't read that to wee ones, especially sensitive ones.  

Here's a brief overview of our preschool/K fiction read alouds, roughly in order of when I've introduced them:

Enid Blyton

Roald Dahl

Astrid Lindgren

Beautifully illustrated fairy tales (anything we can find at the library) By the brothers Grimm, Perrault, HC Andersen, Jacobs

Nursery stories

Beatrix Potter

Charlotte Web. White.

The Hobbit. Tolkien.

Peter Pan. Barrie.

The Princess and the Goblin. MacDonald.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Carroll.

Norse, Roman, Greek myths, from various sources

Shakespeare adapted by Nesbit

We also borrow a generous smattering of picture story books at the library each week - far too many to list here. :)

I know...  I was wondering if there's a version that' sfaithful enough to the original but kid-friendly too.  I liked the Ladybird Well Loved Tales that I read with my parents as a child.  But they are kind of rare now. Was wondering if there's a better and newer version nowadays. Thanks anyway!

We don't read aloud at bedtime.  I'm burnt out then.  I read aloud at different times during the day and my husband reads aloud after dinner in the evening.

The plot and content of Grimm's Fairy Tales is very graphic.  I wouldn't read that to wee ones, especially sensitive ones.  

Useful list.  Thanks!

Here's a brief overview of our preschool/K fiction read alouds, roughly in order of when I've introduced them:

Enid Blyton
Roald Dahl
Astrid Lindgren
Beautifully illustrated fairy tales (anything we can find at the library) By the brothers Grimm, Perrault, HC Andersen, Jacobs
Nursery stories
Beatrix Potter
Charlotte Web. White.
The Hobbit. Tolkien.
Peter Pan. Barrie.
The Princess and the Goblin. MacDonald.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Carroll.
Norse, Roman, Greek myths, from various sources
Shakespeare adapted by Nesbit

We also borrow a generous smattering of picture story books at the library each week - far too many to list here. :)

How do you read a book like "Peter Pan" to K or younger kids? Is it like a chapter a night? Would they really go to sleep without knowing the ending? :)

Our reading list will include "Winnie the Pooh" and maybe "Kipper the Dog." Am looking for kid-friendly books on Greek mythology and Aesop's fables. But right now, we're on a budget. We scout the library for whatever is there. We've read "Mother Goose Rhymes" and they love it.

We read for 30 minutes before bedtime every night. When we started chapter books, we read several that were episodic in nature. Books like Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Pippi Longstocking and Winnie the Pooh are chapter books with few illustrations, but each chapter is self-contained. Then as DD developed an attention span with episodic books, we added in short chapter books with a longer plot; books that could be finished in 5-7 nights. Over time, we worked up to longer books.