Menu

Swap thread for approved AP course syllabi

The AP Course Audit website is now open for courses for the 2015-2016 school year.  As such, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread to share approved syllabi to simplify the process in the case someone is using an identical or similar curriculum.  My recommendation is to post both what you have approved for this year as well as what you might be looking to get approved this year.  If you would like to request or offer a syllabus to someone, please do that via PM.  When you share a syllabus, you may also want to share the official AP syllabus number for that syllabus in case they want to file it as an identical or modified version.  (I don't think we should post them in the thread so that people don't just use them indiscriminately.)

I don't know if any of us use sufficiently-similar curricula to make this at all worthwhile, but I'll start:

Syllabi we have that are approved for 2015/2016 school year:

• AP Chemistry - Based upon Chemistry by Zumdahl, and AP Chemistry Guided Inquiry Experiments (for the labs) by The College Board - This syllabus was first approved for the 2014-2015 school year.
  • AP Computer Science A - Based upon TeenCoder: Java Programming - This syllabus was first approved for the 2014-2015 school year.

Syllabi we are interested in getting approved for the 2015/2016 school year:

• AP Physics C - Based upon Physics by Resnick, Halliday and Krane.
  • AP Calculus BC - Based upon Calculus of a Single Variable by Larson Hostetler and Edwards (Chalk Dust Calculus)

If you don't know how to get started with getting your College Board account set up and getting your syllabus approved, I recommend that you read the step-by-step instructions in this thread.  Hopefully things haven't changed too much since last year.

If you are wondering why anyone would go through the trouble of getting these syllabi approved, I can think of four possible reasons (there may be others):

• You are teaching a course and you would like to be able to advertise the course as having received "official recognition by the College Board that it meets or exceeds the expectations colleges and universities have for your AP subject."
  • You would like to put "AP" on your official high school transcript for your student.
  • You want access to additional sample tests.
  • You just want to be thorough and ensure that you are covering all the material that is expected for an AP-level course.

One final thought:  MomsintheGarden says that she does not want to share these out to members with fewer than a couple of hundred posts so that individuals do not join just to gain access to these syllabi.  (I'm not really sure what a student would do with an approved syllabus, but perhaps there is some concern there.  Frankly, I don't really enjoy reading the ones I wrote myself. :tongue_smilie: )

• Like 10

Thank you! The information you posted was very helpful.  Can you tell me is sophomore year too early to do this? Would it be better done closer to graduation so the information is fresh right before college?  I am very new to thinking about AP classes and testing. 

Also, I saw your thread on AP course approved syllabi.  I was thinking of using Teen Coder for this as well, but I have no idea what I would use for the syllabi.   Could you give me an idea of what I would do? I am clueless.  :)

Thanks so much! Kristie

I pulled this out of the other thread since we were a bit off-topic.

If you plan to use TeenCoder course, then the syllabus we have prepared should work fine for you.  The only discrepancies from the actual class are that the graphical sections have been changed from Java Swing to JavaFX. (it's OK if you don't know what that means!  In any case, it has no bearing on the AP class, since graphical programming in Java is not part of the AP test.)

PM me your email address if you would like me to send you the AP CS A syllabus.  If it suits your needs, then you can submit that for approval with the College Board (see instructions in the OP above).

• Like 1

Subjects I'm interested in getting approved for 2015-2016:

AP Physics C: E&M based on physics for scientists and engineers Giancoli

AP Human Geography based on The Cultural Landscape: an introduction to human geography

This is my first time trying to put together a plan though we've done APs.

You can find the sample syllabuses from CB on the AP Course Audit page for each course.  I think they may also be on the course home page.

So for example, Human Geography has 4 samples.  http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/courses/human_geography.html

Physics C: E&M has four samples  http://www.collegeboard.com/html/apcourseaudit/courses/physics_c.html

If you like a syllabus but it doesn't use the text you've assigned, in some cases you can keep the same unit divisions and replace the textbook readings with what you are using.

Remember that the course audit is really only looking for the fact that scoring criteria are met for the course framework.  It is up to you how much more detail you provide.  While many course study plans for homeschooling might break readings down to daily assignments, for example; the syllabus you submit may only need to have readings for a two week unit listed.  (IOW, you can list a chapter or two without having to divide it up into daily chunks.)

Similarly, you can state that there will be a practice essay in a unit, but might not need to assign the specific prompt.

On the other hand, you may find that putting more time into specifics makes it easier to actually conduct the AP course.  

• Like 1

I have some that I'm happy to share:

US Government using Edwards Government in America and Ethel Wood American Government supporting material

Comparative Government (this one is bare bones, but might give you ideas)

European History using Kagan's Western Heritage (This one is for last year, before the revision that took effect this year, but it might be an ok jumping off point.  I haven't looked at the Euro revisions.)

• Like 3

It's not my own, but for AP Computer Science, I really like the textbook Java Methods, by the Litvins. Their study guide for AP CS is also excellent. The have an approved syllabus on their website that uses their materials:

http://www.skylit.com/javamethods/syllabi/index.html

I haven't taught with the new test case set, so all of my materials and handouts are still on Gridworld and not helpful for the new test.

• Like 3

There is no test case anymore. They simply did away with it.

Oh wow, I'm not teaching this year (or since they dropped GridWorld obviously), but I was getting the new book to update for next year. Obviously I haven't read the notes from the CB or the AP message boards at all recently. Though I still imagine the updates of the books I mentioned are still worth checking out.

Back on the OT, I did use a samples from the AP site for calculus and paychology (though we added to both). I couldn't find a version of the Chem syllabus that didn't have experiments not possible at home.

• Like 1

Syllabi approved for 2015-16

• AP Psychology using Myers 9e in Modules (just like the regular edition but in smaller module chunks instead of longer chapters---got a deal on the book)

• AP Environmental Science using Environmental Science: Toward a Sustainable Future, 11e, by Wright and Boorse

• AP Comparative Government and Politics using Introduction to Comparative Politics by Kesselman et al, the brand new 7e

Approved last year

• AP Human Geography using An Introduction to Human Geography: A Cultural Landscape, 9e, by Rubinstein

I would be happy to share with members having more than 300 posts or with those people I have met in person :) I have many hundreds of hours invested in these syllabi.

• Like 6

I couldn't find a version of the Chem syllabus that didn't have experiments not possible at home.

Good point!  The experiments provided by the College Board in their "Guided Inquiry" lab book require extremely-expensive equipment (and consumables) to complete, starting from the very first one.  I'm willing to bet that fewer than 10% of the high schools in this country have (or can/will afford) the equipment and materials needed to perform these labs.

I have NO IDEA what the College Board was thinking when they came up with those experiments.  IMO, it doesn't make sense for them to make these courses unachievable.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a fabulous idea.

I have been making myself a little nuts trying to decide whether to do an AP Biology syllabus or not. We purchased materials as if we were doing AP Bio, so it seems silly not to, and yet...so if anyone has done one, I'd love to see it.

Syllabi I'm likely to develop/need include:

AP English Literature

AP United States Government and Politics

AP Environmental Science

I'm on the fence about the histories.

• Like 2

This is a fabulous idea.

I have been making myself a little nuts trying to decide whether to do an AP Biology syllabus or not. We purchased materials as if we were doing AP Bio, so it seems silly not to, and yet...so if anyone has done one, I'd love to see it.

Syllabi I'm likely to develop/need include:

AP English Literature

AP United States Government and Politics

AP Environmental Science

I'm on the fence about the histories.

I have a bio one as well as a US gov one I could share.  Although I will caveat that my bio one is now 3 years old, and I'm sure I have changed things as I saw fit!  Dh and I are on vacation in CO right now with his company, so I can't even look at it right now, but when we get back, I can.  If you shoot me a message, I'll try to figure out how to share it, LOL.  I know it's possible, but I have no idea how!

• Like 3

Good point!  The experiments provided by the College Board in their "Guided Inquiry" lab book require extremely-expensive equipment (and consumables) to complete, starting from the very first one.  I'm willing to bet that fewer than 10% of the high schools in this country have (or can/will afford) the equipment and materials needed to perform these labs.

I have NO IDEA what the College Board was thinking when they came up with those experiments.  IMO, it doesn't make sense for them to make these courses unachievable.

The idea of an AP course is that it is college-level, so in designing labs, I would guess the College Board kept that in mind. It would be assumed that if the student is taking AP Chemistry, they have done basic lab work and are looking to learn advanced lab techniques with more complex equipment. CB is definitely not thinking about the home educator.

When we last did chemistry here, we were using Bob Thompson's book and a cabinet full of equipment. It was a good, if nerve-wracking experience, but more than once we would have finished a somewhat complex experiment with dangerous chemicals when I would have a flashback moment. I had done an experiment in a previous year or with a previous child that reached the same goal with different chemicals and equipment, many available around the house.

I would bet that a good AP Chem teacher will the adapt to the equipment he or she has on hand and then discuss or watch a video that highlights the differences. A home educator that is willing to take the time can probably exchange experiments to achieve a similar objective.

I hope this makes sense.  From personal experience, I'd opt for a kit designed for AP Chemistry. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

The idea of an AP course is that it is college-level, so in designing labs, I would guess the College Board kept that in mind. It would be assumed that if the student is taking AP Chemistry, they have done basic lab work and are looking to learn advanced lab techniques with more complex equipment. CB is definitely not thinking about the home educator.

When we last did chemistry here, we were using Bob Thompson's book and a cabinet full of equipment. It was a good, if nerve-wracking experience, but more than once we would have finished a somewhat complex experiment with dangerous chemicals when I would have a flashback moment. I had done an experiment in a previous year or with a previous child that reached the same goal with different chemicals and equipment, many available around the house.

I would bet that a good AP Chem teacher will the adapt to the equipment he or she has on hand and then discuss or watch a video that highlights the differences. A home educator that is willing to take the time can probably exchange experiments to achieve a similar objective.

I hope this makes sense.  From personal experience, I'd opt for a kit designed for AP Chemistry. :tongue_smilie:

I'll confess that labwork is one reason I was happy that DE was an option for Chemistry.  The first lab the professor had them burning magnesium and copper and getting iodine out of seawater. I'm up for a lot of stuff, but supervising potentially explosive labs is something I didn't mind someone else doing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'd love to get a copy of someone's AP Psychology syllabus, especially if you're using the Meyer book.  I have a syllabus I made for actually teaching the class but I was originally not going to try to get college board approval, so it was not written with them in mind. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can we do this after the fact? So, for example, my oldest is taking Advanced Biology this year and I'm thinking about having her take the AP exam in the spring. I was just going to list it as an AP course on her transcript if she scored well on the test. Do we have to submit the syllabus before the school year starts in order to list it on the transcript? I guess I thought I knew what I was doing and now I'm realizing I don't.  :confused1:

• Like 1

I have a really simple AP statistics syllabus that just got approved. I'm working on AP language, which is a bit more involved.

We're planning on running an AP or AP-like Statistics course next year using the Starnes, et al text, Practice of Statistics, if anyone would like to brainstorm.  While I like the text, we do not yet have a syllabus.

Also, we're planning on running an AP-like or AP Spanish Language and Culture course next year using the Vista Higher Learning Temas book (with Supersite access), if anyone would like to brainstorm.  While we like the text, we don't yet have a syllabus.  We'd love to see any approved syllabi for either course for homeschooling. 

Edited by Brad S

Can we do this after the fact? So, for example, my oldest is taking Advanced Biology this year and I'm thinking about having her take the AP exam in the spring. I was just going to list it as an AP course on her transcript if she scored well on the test. Do we have to submit the syllabus before the school year starts in order to list it on the transcript? I guess I thought I knew what I was doing and now I'm realizing I don't.  :confused1:

No, you can't do this.  You can't list a course as AP on your transcript unless you have an approved syllabus, and you have to have the syllabus approved by January sometime of the current school year to be able to list it that year (so you still have time to submit for this year).  But no worries--you just list the course as "Honors Biology--AP Equivalent" or something, and then you also put the AP score on the transcript.  Then it is pretty obvious that the class prepared her for  biology, no matter what it technically was called.

• Like 3

I recently had my first AP syllabus approved.  I am excited!  And it was so easy.  AP Calculus AB using Larson 5th Ed. ETF.  I think the math ones must be much easier than the others.   I originally wasn't going to bother with it, but I am glad I did because I now have access to some Multiple Choice practice(or past) tests.  

• Like 6

If you'd like, I can pm you my approved syllabus number for AP Bio.  I think you are still within the deadline.  It is keyed to current exam.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is absolutely overwhelming to me.  My daughter is starting high school next year and I was thinking of making her US History an AP class, but I'm not sure I have time to put a syllabus together with all the things the little ones need.  Will it make a huge difference on her high school transcript if I do an Honors class and if we feel up to it take the exam and if it's a good grade put it on the transcript?  

I was so looking forward to this thread.  Being a new person and hoping to connect with other people who were writing their own AP syllabi.  Thank you to those who are willing to share information and for those of you that want hundreds of posts I apologize for my newness to this group.

Has anyone submitted a syllabi for AP Music Theory? 

Thanks.

Edited by HB11

• 4 months later...
I couldn't find a version of the Chem syllabus that didn't have experiments not possible at home.

Just an FYI:  MomsintheGarden found this AP microchemistry kit WITH LABS.  It is currently on sale for $220, so we intend to pick this up for DS16 who will be doing AP Chemistry this coming year.  I will be reworking our approved AP Chemistry syllabus to replace the impossible AP Labs with these labs.  It will still be based on the Zumdahl text, but it may be for a newer version (2009) than the old syllabus.

Have a look at that kit if you are interested in AP Chemistry labs which you can actually accomplish at home!

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 1

I never thought I would be doing this but my son is very interested in psychology, so I'm starting to purchase curriculum for an AP course. I've gotten the Myers Psych text 8th edition and the study guide. I'm just not quite sure where to go from here.

Can we do this after the fact? So, for example, my oldest is taking Advanced Biology this year and I'm thinking about having her take the AP exam in the spring. I was just going to list it as an AP course on her transcript if she scored well on the test. Do we have to submit the syllabus before the school year starts in order to list it on the transcript? I guess I thought I knew what I was doing and now I'm realizing I don't. :confused1:

Then we must be in the same boat because I thought the same thing and I've been homeschooling for 18 years. I thought you could adopt an approved syllabi off the site and use it too as your own. I'm so lost, please someone come find me.

• Like 1

Then we must be in the same boat because I thought the same thing and I've been homeschooling for 18 years. I thought you could adopt an approved syllabi off the site and use it too as your own. I'm so lost, please someone come find me.

Yes you can adopt a syllabus from the site.  There are typically 4 samples.  However, they aren't what I would call open and go.

For example, I've adopted syllabus 3 for Microeconomics.  However he used the 15th edition of the text and I have the 18th ed.  So I need to spend some time going through my book and figuring out what order the readings will go in.

Also, it's not uncommon for a sample syllabus to refer to an activity, but not have details in the submitted syllabus.  For example, it might say Mock Congress but not give specifics of what that will include.  

The samples work well as a framework or starting point.

You can also often find syllabuses online on teacher homepages.  I would recommend that you read the course description and the Teacher Guide for the courses you are thinking of doing.  I've decided with a couple courses that the course goals and my goals didn't overlap enough to go through with the course.

This year I'm working on my 6th and 7th AP courses.  My preference is to take a couple samples and write my own syllabus.  As long as you have the required features (known as Scoring Criterion) then you will probably have the syllabus approved.  My first approval took a couple hours.  The longest I've waited is about a week.  Sometimes they will come back and ask for clarification on some point and a revision.  With 2 courses, there was such a significant overlap that I did just adopt a sample.  I tweaked it slightly in actual execution.  

You have until January to submit your syllabus.  The AP label is owned by College Board.  You can't mark something as an AP course unless the syllabus was approved.  What some people do is have their kids study and take the exam and call the course something like Honors Chemistry with AP Exam.  That is a work around if you didn't go through the steps for approval but want to demonstrate the level the work was on.

• Like 4

Thanks for the explanation. I would rather do my own syllabi and get it approved then do the course, AP test, and then call it honors on a transcript. I have one question, do you have to use the most recent edition of a text? I have the 8th edition of Myers Psych text but there's a newer edition. Can I use mine?

The CB will approve your syllabus but they can not verify you actually followed it. Most B&M schools have good syllabi for their AP courses but teacher X does not follow it and the students get less than what was "offered" to them.

Thanks for the explanation. I would rather do my own syllabi and get it approved then do the course, AP test, and then call it honors on a transcript. I have one question, do you have to use the most recent edition of a text? I have the 8th edition of Myers Psych text but there's a newer edition. Can I use mine?

You can definitely use an older edition.  I would take a look at the list of recommended textbooks.  College textbooks have new editions frequently.  In some cases, annually - with little change or minor changes.

I have frequently listed texts that are a few years old and had no issue with getting a syllabus approved.  Most brick and mortar schools don't buy new books every year either.

• 6 months later...

Just an FYI:  MomsintheGarden found this AP microchemistry kit WITH LABS.  It is currently on sale for $220, so we intend to pick this up for DS16 who will be doing AP Chemistry this coming year.  I will be reworking our approved AP Chemistry syllabus to replace the impossible AP Labs with these labs.  It will still be based on the Zumdahl text, but it may be for a newer version (2009) than the old syllabus.

Have a look at that kit if you are interested in AP Chemistry labs which you can actually accomplish at home!

Woohoo!  After getting a rejection back in August, I FINALLY got around to sitting down and finishing this new syllabus.  It is now approved with the kit mentioned above.  For the first time, we actually have an AP Chemistry syllabus approved which includes labs we can do right here at home!  (That's good since we have four students who can use this.)

If anyone is interested in using Zumdahl 9th edition and the above for labs, please let me know via PM and I can tell you the syllabus number.  You only have until COB tomorrow (January 31) to submit it to the College Board if you want to get an approval for this year.

ETA:  BTW, the textbook is available on eBay NEW from Britain from the same vendor we purchased it from for $80.17 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemistry-by-Valerie-Hansen-/191870882036

(Don't ask me why it is listed as "Chemistry by Valerie Hansen".  It is by Zumdahl as you can verify by the ISBN.  The text we received makes no mention of Valerie Hansen anywhere that we could see.)

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 5

Congratulations! 

Doing a last-minute dust-up of my APUSH syllabus, just in time for the holiday rush.  Soooooo many CRs!  If we could use images, I'd stick in one of a count-down clock with glowing red digits, wired into a suspicious electronic mess.  I'd also look like an action movie hero.

Tia

Woohoo!  After getting a rejection back in August, I FINALLY got around to sitting down and finishing this new syllabus.  It is now approved with the kit mentioned above.  For the first time, we actually have an AP Chemistry syllabus approved which includes labs we can do right here at home!  (That's good since we have four students who can use this.)

If anyone is interested in using Zumdahl 9th edition and the above for labs, please let me know via PM and I can tell you the syllabus number.  You only have until COB tomorrow (January 31) to submit it to the College Board if you want to get an approval for this year.

ETA:  BTW, the textbook is available on eBay NEW from Britain from the same vendor we purchased it from for $80.17 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemistry-by-Valerie-Hansen-/191870882036

(Don't ask me why it is listed as "Chemistry by Valerie Hansen".  It is by Zumdahl as you can verify by the ISBN.  The text we received makes no mention of Valerie Hansen anywhere that we could see.)

• Like 1

FYI, I have a syllabus which was approved this year for AP Statistics using Starnes, Yates, and Moore Practice of Statistics 4th edition.  You'd probably want to drop the last three topics on the last page (which are useful, but not essential as part of the AP curriculum).

ETA: PM me if you'd like a copy.

Edited by Brad S
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just popping in to say that I do have the following, should anyone fancy a look:

Approved 2015-2016: 

AP Biology

Approved 2016-2017:

AP Environmental Science

AP Government and Politics

I've also been accepted to AP's WE Service pilot program for next year, which means, apparently, that I will be developing an AP Euro syllabus for 2017-2018. Because I'm a glutton for punishment. 

• Like 6

• 8 months later...