Menu

Math for a newly 5 yo

hsingscrapper

I need your help! Mr. Picky Pants will be formally joining us this year. We will be working on the basics of learning to read and write and numbers/math. He will be listening in as he desires to his brothers' lessons in science, history and grammar.

I will be shopping at Rainbow Resource for the textbooks and pricier supplies.

What is your favorite, inexpensive math for littles? I would like to keep it to $50 or less UNLESS I can use it for multiple years.

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine will start Rod and Staff 1 when he finishes his preschool Star Wars book. R&S 1 starts with number recognition and gently yet thoroughly covers basic facts through 10, mingling some other simple concepts like fractions, skip counting, and such. The TM has a great meeting time with the DC that teaches the concepts for 2-3 days before it ends up on their worksheet. Don't skip the TM because it's at least half of the course. After you finish that meeting time DC have all the skills they need to complete the worksheet on their own at your elbow.

I am using Jump Math, which is free except for the work books. The books are $11 each (only two) and the teacher lesson plans are available on their website, all you must do is sign up to access and download. I love that they have all 5 strands of mathematics and include a lot of manipulative work and activities.

What you save in money, you do spend time in planning before the lesson, (in printing the necessary Black  Line Masters or just going over the days work in order for the lesson to go smoothly.

While they do start with Grade 1, they start at the BEGINNING, meaning, the first lesson in number sense covers rules and strategies for counting objects!

I was using it this past year with my K4 with only minor adjustments. I really have only great things to say about it. :)

Jumpmath.org

I loved McRuffy math for preschool. It's more like $80, but I was able to resell it for a good price quite quickly, or it can be reused for future kids. It was lots of fun, board and card games, and uses a reusable wipe-off workbook so they can continue to practice the same concepts as needed.

After we finished McRuffy, we started Miquon, which would be more in your price range. My dd loves the rods. We actually did Education Unboxed videos first until she was thoroughly acquainted with the rods.

I really enjoyed Right Start.  You can buy Right Start Level B and use it for two years.

For Kindy, though, you can even just "play" math with cars, Legos, animal crackers, whatever.  Pick up a workbook at Costco or the dollar store if he wants to "do" school.  All of my kids have loved the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom math book "Chicka Chicka 1-2-3" about counting to 100 and the apple tree. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

. Don't skip the TM because it's at least half of the course.

It isn't at least half the course. It *is* the course. There's no instruction in the children's materials (through third grade); you're supposed to teach the lesson and then assign the seatwork as practice for what was just taught. :001_smile:

Also, the flash cards are an integral part of first grade instruction.

It isn't at least half the course. It *is* the course. There's no instruction in the children's materials (through third grade); you're supposed to teach the lesson and then assign the seatwork as practice for what was just taught. :001_smile:

Also, the flash cards are an integral part of first grade instruction.

Yes, I said it needs taught before the worksheet. Personally we end up dropping the flashcards way before the TM says to. The fact practice in the teaching time and workbook were more than enough for my kids. The little guy mentioned above just started "duckie math" last week (not the newest edition, which has crayons instead of farm animals). He loves the felt duck pond, and I love doing the teaching time with him. It's adorable.

How do you USE the MEP program? I looked at the site and am just wondering if there are lessons to watch or what. I just saw a listing of stuff and when I click on the items, it shows a question to answer. Is there anything else to it and where do I find it on the site?

How do you USE the MEP program? I looked at the site and am just wondering if there are lessons to watch or what. I just saw a listing of stuff and when I click on the items, it shows a question to answer. Is there anything else to it and where do I find it on the site?

For the Reception year I printed out the teacher plans (now I'd just download it to my tablet) and we opened most of the "posters" on the computer. DD pointed to the screen or we cut and pasted the image into Paint for her to draw on it with the mouse.

For the other years you'd need to print the student pages and set up easy daily access to the teacher pages (download on your favorite device or print). The teacher plans are vital to the course, as there is no instruction on the student pages.

I used Saxon K with my last K'er, but it's pricey.  You can find the teacher's guide used on Amazon for much less and that's all you need besides the manipulatives.  

Other things we use or have used and liked are

• Patternables (it's a pattern book to use with pattern blocks)--My DD often did just these in place of her math lesson or to keep busy when I was working with the other DC.  I have the pages in page protectors in a binder so they have lasted through several children...They also lay nice and flat this way.
  • Singapore Math Essentials--I really liked these, but they are pretty pricey for simple workbooks.
  • R&S preschool books--if you look on their website you can see samples.  I think one or two of these focus on math skills.  Rainbow Resource does carry these, but they don't list them on their website...I think you have to order them over the phone.
  • Ready, Set, Learn Series--My DS used a few of these.  They are less than $3 per book and he loved the stickers in the back of the book (we'd add one to the top of his page when he finished)

• 4 weeks later...

Mine will start Rod and Staff 1 when he finishes his preschool Star Wars book. R&S 1 starts with number recognition and gently yet thoroughly covers basic facts through 10, mingling some other simple concepts like fractions, skip counting, and such. The TM has a great meeting time with the DC that teaches the concepts for 2-3 days before it ends up on their worksheet. Don't skip the TM because it's at least half of the course. After you finish that meeting time DC have all the skills they need to complete the worksheet on their own at your elbow.

That preschool Star Wars book sounds amazing. Where can I get it? My little one is only two but oh my gosh it is Star Wars. Saving it for later. Much later, lol.

That preschool Star Wars book sounds amazing. Where can I get it? My little one is only two but oh my gosh it is Star Wars. Saving it for later. Much later, lol.

The three preschool titles are the ones my little guy used this summer. His scifi geek siblings were so proud. D is for Darth Vader, J is for JarJar Binks, count the R2D2s and draw a line to the number, and so on. You can find them on Amazon, though we got ours in a 3 pack from Costco for less $.

• Like 1

My newly 5 year old is doing Miquon and MEP1. She completed Essential Math A&B last year, and as much as I LOVE MEP, I kind of hate Reception level for some reason. I think it is totally me, nothing wrong with the program. So I just skipped it and started MEP 1 once she finished EM A&B and Miquon Orange. I can say her mental math is amazing, and I don't know if she is just naturally good at it or if it is the preparation. The other day she was listening in on her big sister's math facts practice and 5+8 came up. Big sister (with special needs and math issues) was stuck and dd5 pipes up, "it is 13! Because you can take 2 away from 5 to make 8 be 10 and then add 3." This method has never explicitly been taught to her, but her exposure to the c-rods and other conceptual math has made it quite intuitive.

We also listen to math skip-counting songs at lunchtime often and do a lot of informal "talky" math throughout the day. Apps like Dragonbox and standard preschooly math apps on the iPad have helped all my kids at that level, too. And having a 100 chart poster at their eye-level has been amazing. All 3 of my girls regularly stop when they walk by and look at it or tell me patterns they see, skip count, identify numbers, etc.