Menu

Found an old 'How to Pack for College' thread

Familia

I've gathered so many lists of what to pack (especially helped by the 'college packing for minimalist boys' thread), now I need the 'How to pack' help.

The reason for all of this searching, reading, and gathering into my Evernote 'Ds College' folder is mostly because no one IRL knows what I am going through...and you are all my best homeschool friends right now and have been all the way through!  Even if I have been virtually a lurker. 

Hope this is helpful to someone else!

How to Pack:
http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/401775-hope-this-is-okay/

• Like 2

LOL!  I remember that thread!

The DD I posted about there is starting her senior year.  She still owns much more concert dress (music major) than other clothes,

For the record, she did just fine with one medium-sized suitcase of clothes plus what we ordered from Amazon (bedding, school supplies, a FAN!)

Minimalist belongings gave her more space in the tiny dorm room and made it easier to keep track of her stuff over the years.  She says when she moves out of her apartment after graduation, most of her stuff will be board games and music gear and should fit in a small car.

LOL!  I remember that thread!

The DD I posted about there is starting her senior year.  She still owns much more concert dress (music major) than other clothes,

For the record, she did just fine with one medium-sized suitcase of clothes plus what we ordered from Amazon (bedding, school supplies, a FAN!)

Minimalist belongings gave her more space in the tiny dorm room and made it easier to keep track of her stuff over the years.  She says when she moves out of her apartment after graduation, most of her stuff will be board games and music gear and should fit in a small car.

Aw, thanks for the update!

When people say 'minimal' I worry that ds is taking too much.  It is still a lot of stuff.  Besides the basics (clothes, toiletries, and small pantry items), there is his book stash (extensive), rubric's cube collection, and office/tool supplies of all kinds.  But, what about the organizational items?  Is it a help or a hinderance to send underbed drawers, stacking shelf type bins for the closet, and baskets?  What about toiletries and food?  Does he just go with enough to get started or should he stock up?

I remember that thread, too!

We won't talk about the dorm bomb explosion that came home after four years of college.  My daughter and I traveled home with six suitcases (an experience I never wish to relive! DO NOT travel with more suitcases than hands), and we also shipped a box of books via media mail.

... his book stash (extensive) ...

My daughter was convinced she would have time to enjoy her favorite books.  She learned otherwise and mailed that 30 pound box home at the end of the year.  You might suggest your son take his favorite five or six books.  My daughter ended up getting a library card for the local public library and did occasionally check out their books.

But, what about the organizational items?  Is it a help or a hindrance to send underbed drawers, stacking shelf type bins for the closet, and baskets?  What about toiletries and food?  Does he just go with enough to get started or should he stock up?

Is his college in a large city?  If so, it might be worth going with the bare minimum and waiting to purchase what he deems truly necessary.  If there is no shopping nearby, he might elect to go with more.  Having items shipped to his campus is also a possibility.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

there is his book stash (extensive) 

Remind him that the school will have its own extensive book collection, lol. 

He needs to take just a few favorites. I can't imagine a college student having room for an extensive book collection, not to mention the pain of getting it back and forth over summer breaks (and possibly winter break, depending on the dorm). 

Students living off-campus will have more room, but not usually a lot of room. 

• Like 1

My daughter was convinced she would have time to enjoy her favorite books.  She learned otherwise and mailed that 30 pound box home at the end of the year.  You might suggest your son take his favorite five or six books.  My daughter ended up getting a library card for the local public library and did occasionally check out their books.

Katilac Said: 

Remind him that the school will have its own extensive book collection, lol. 

I will remind him of the school's library, and he will soon learn that there just isn't time to read what one choses during college.  

I remember getting a library card to our public library after graduating and browsing the stacks.  I was thrilled to have the whole world of books opened up to me again.  Of course, he will be more well read during his college years than I was d/t the type of school he is attending.

His kindle should allow him to leave a lot of his favorite fiction at home.  Most of his books, though, that he cannot part with, are about recreational mathematics, science topics, and other favorite resources.

• Like 1

I will remind him of the school's library, and he will soon learn that there just isn't time to read what one choses during college.  

I remember getting a library card to our public library after graduating and browsing the stacks.  I was thrilled to have the whole world of books opened up to me again. 

I remember when I re-discovered reading for pleasure about two years after I graduated from college. Before college, I was never without a book in my hand, during college, my reading was all course related.  I can't believe it took me two years to remember the joy of reading! 

• Like 1