Menu

Middle School Geography with Lit?

SnMomof7

My 7th grader is going to use the highschool Harmony Fine Arts geography schedule with some slight modifications. It doesn't schedule literature though. It has cultural and physical. (He has a meaty separate literature study, so I'm not adding any for geography.) Alternately you could just use the Trail Guide to World Geography they schedule and add your own lit.

Barefoot Ragamuffin has a free geography literature file you could choose from and add to anything.

Our other top contender was Oak Meadow's grade 9 world geography. It uses a pretty standard textbook as the spine (cheap on the used market), and offers several unique assignments for the DC to choose from instead of a pile of comprehension questions.

ECC didn't make our shortlist. We found their Explorers 2nd-8th set rather low for my then 6th grader, and barely lasted a quarter of the year with it.

We hope to use MFW for high school, but in the earlier grades it does tend to be a bit more....activity intensive than I would prefer.

Another option I'm toying with is HOD Geography (pared down, we have our own Bible, science etc.) and just use the guide to coordinate the resources we want to use. Does that sound crazy?

I have no HOD experience, but that sounds rather expensive for two subjects. :o

Does the literature have to be wed to the geography? Maybe something like Lightning Literature and a simpler geography program like Trail Guide?

I'd just buy the guide ;). We own some of the books already, don't need the Bible study etc. so I figure I can chop off at least $100, maybe more. I haven't priced it all out yet.

In case anyone else is looking I see Build Your library has a 7th grade program, it uses a LOT of books though. We don't generally use the library.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I don't really want geography that is linked to a history cycle, like Wayfarers is. SL is definitely an option, but I'd like the whole world covered preferably.

FYI, We did Wayfarers Ancients this year and the geography isn't linked to the history at all. Our first geography reader was set in Australia and about Irish prison ships, the next book was set in the Amazon in the 1800's, then medieval Japan, 1400's Korea and now 20th century Vietnam. :) The mapping is scheduled to go with the geography lit but I've been actually doing my mapping along with my history from a different resource. 

Build Your Library has a 7th grade program that is World Geography.  I love the books she has planned.

I love the books for 7th grade BYL as well, I'm actually going to use it for my 10th grader next year combined with a traditional high school World Geo text. BYL is 20% off until the 15th, btw.

• Like 1