Menu

Italian language programs?

Check and see if you've got an Italian cultural center or Italian heritage center near you. My kids have gone to Italian school for years. Our cultural center offers a weekly language school for both non-native speakers and bilingual families, along with lots of other events. My kids have really benefited from having Italian speaking friends.

Our youth language school uses Espresso 1 in the beginner and intermediate classes for teens.

Kolbe offers Italian using the Prego textbook. That would probably be my first choice if I needed a traditional textbook program for high school Italian I. I've heard decent things about CyberItalian, but have never used it. I've thought about having my older ds try one of their classes this year, just to see how it goes. They offer AP Italian Language and Literature, though it's not clear to me if a homeschooled student can take the class or it needs to be done through a school. I need to email them.

There are lots of extra things you could use to flesh out a course - News in Slow Italian, Italian radio stations (Radio Italia is our preference, but RDS and RTL are also on in our house sometimes. Those last two play a lot of music in English though.) My teens' instructor frequently sends out emails with links to songs or videos that demonstrate the concepts they've worked on in class.

• Like 1

My daughter takes classes through Harari College, and they are the ones who matched her up with the teacher. I know there are Italian schools that also offer lessons over twitter, but I can't give any recommendations. Sorry.  :)

• Like 1

My daughter took Italian with Landry Academy.  They used the Oggi textbook.  I thought the class was good, but dd did not stay on top of her work with that format.   I think we are going to continue to use Oggi and review the grammar as well as use the practice makes perfect workbooks, and pimsleur for listening.  Italian is not popular and it's hard to find classes.

• Like 1